SASS Wire Forum

The Diamondback Gun Cart

Yul Lose

This is my latest gun cart build. Some will call it the Snake gun cart, I’m sure. While at EOT and on the way back I was thinking about what I’d build next as I had just finished Buck Garrett’s Buffalo Hunter cart and Creek County Kids LOCAS cart, which I delivered to EOT. Double Diamond the leather worker who has done all of the leather work on all of the carts that I’ve built except for the first four or five has a daughter that has turned into a very good CAS participant. I knew she had a birthday coming up and on the refrigerator at home she has the ticket stub to my latest LOCAS Gun Cart benefit raffle posted. DD told me before I went to EOT that every time she goes into the kitchen she stops and looks at the ticket and says “I’m going to win that”. 

A couple of days after I got back from EOT I stopped by to see DD and I suggested that we, him and me, build his daughter, Diamondback Dree a Gun Cart for her birthday. He wondered if we’d have enough time and I thought we would so we came up with a plan. The hardest part was keeping it a secret because she’s home for the summer from college and is around quite a bit during the day. Well I got the cart built with some time to spare and then last week I delivered it to him to do all of the leatherwork. I had an out of town family wedding to attend for three days last week and couldn’t be there on her actual birthday day and DD wasn’t quite finished with his part so we moved the presentation party up to tomorrow evening. She doesn’t frequent the Wire so it ought to still be a big surprise.

I built the cart out of African Black Limba, a lightweight hardwood that really has a lot of character. I used the ebony diamond pegs on Buck Garrett’s cart and liked them so much I used a whole bunch more on this cart. Some may think I went a little overboard but there’s no mistaking the diamond theme. I utilized through dovetail, sliding dovetail and mortise and tenon joinery throughout the cart including the trays. The wheels are the 20” Marathon garden cart wheel with the 1 3/8” x1/2” Xike high tech bearings installed. You’ll notice that the tires instead of being flat on top are much more rounded like bicycle tires and the cart is very easy to push. 

DD built the leather medallions that fit in the pockets that I routed into the cabinet, chest and carriage. On the back of the upper cabinet you’ll notice a round patch at the top of the crest and that is removable and if she wishes she can attach her clean match pins or whatever because there is Velcro attached to the cart that will hold the patch in place. On the front of the cabinet there is a belt buckle with a genuine rattlesnake head. DD made the black surrounding leather resemble wood and it really does look like wood.

The medallion on the front of the chest and the sides of the cabinet are all raised and really resemble rattlesnakes. Enlarge your pictures if you can and check out the incredible detail. This cart was very enjoyable to build and I can’t wait to see her face tomorrow evening when she unwraps it. Our next Escondido Bandidos match is September 7th and it will be her first opportunity to use it.

BC50F867-FB05-4BFB-96C2-0294E21E9B71.jpeg

E103B5E8-FD30-47DA-87AE-D42AAD11C747.jpeg

58047793-A0FD-4315-8497-7DF023FC85F9.jpeg

0E79AC5D-651B-4B59-9781-52B75397FA66.jpeg

82011E02-C181-4A64-AE82-2C6C754C29D5.jpeg

54738049-0A94-4BFA-95AA-ABC9B9404513.jpeg

E90EBA5E-B0C0-4DE2-931E-E3C49E197F6F.jpeg

B40957FE-5F37-4ABE-AA1F-538FB30D746F.jpeg

9B3F3FE6-8DC2-4BCA-B70A-374507408FDB.jpeg

9CBFB2AA-D024-435D-AECE-BEF778D02448.jpeg

2D6ABD65-1F87-42C6-8A26-15A6C770EFD1.jpeg

I vowed to never read a thread about one of Yul's gun carts again, 'cause I just drool all over my keyboard.  But the temptation is just too much.

Great jobs as always, Mr. Yul!

Now I have to dry off my keyboard again.

3 minutes ago, Shooting Bull said:

That's simply incredible!  I don't think I could ever own one of your pieces of art because they're just they, art.  I'd be far too worried to ever take it to a range.

I'm with ya on that one Bull.  That's one fine cart just like all of Yul's work.  If i was ever fortunate enough to own one of these masterpiece's it would probably set in the middle of the man cave floor with a spotlight shinning down on it.  By the way got a kick out of the gun's and coffee emblem. 

3 hours ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

I vowed to never read a thread about one of Yul's gun carts again, 'cause I just drool all over my keyboard.  But the temptation is just too much.

Great jobs as always, Mr. Yul!

Now I have to dry off my keyboard again.

I use one of those cans of compresses air to dry my keyboard off.

I would hate to even use it. The first scratch would send me into cardiac arrest!

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. My internet is down and I had to go find a place to make it work. I guess libraries are still good for something.

4 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

WOW:excl:

I can just imagine what that looks like in the sunlight.

Hey Yul, when are you gonna start make'n those pistol grips?

OLG

Still thinking about the grip thing.

Once again Yul is making dual purpose fine furniture that can be used as a gun cart.  Absolutely stunning work.....just outstanding.

Kajun

Another awesome pony Yul.

I like the way you did the wheels, I'll think I'll adopt the same style, it really works, covering those plastic spokes with the timber looks great.

Wow, that is art. The woodwork and the leather work are incredible. I can only imagine how much she will love and appreciate it. A very loving thing to do. Kudos to you both sirs. 

5 hours ago, Jackaroo, # 29989 said:

Another awesome pony Yul.

I like the way you did the wheels, I'll think I'll adopt the same style, it really works, covering those plastic spokes with the timber looks great.

Should you need any information about the jigs and fixtures I built to build the spokes let me know. It takes 6 different jigs the way I do it. Once you get the jigs built and dialed in you can build a bunch of spokes in a hurry.

Your work is amazing.  I love that wood!  Beautiful grain patterns.  Love all the detail work too. 

While Kajun beat me to it, I will repeat the statement that it is another elegant piece of furniture to be used on the range!

Congratulations to DbD.  She will be very surprised and grateful.

Woooooodoggies!!!  That Yul can build a dadgum gun cart!  Nice job Yul!  And Double Diamond can do some damn fine leatherwork as well!  She's gonna love it!

5 minutes ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Woooooodoggies!!!  That Yul can build a dadgum gun cart!  Nice job Yul!  And Double Diamond can do some damn fine leatherwork as well!  She's gonna love it!

Thank you all for the kind comments. Double Diamond is a great leatherworker. When I’m coming up with ideas for the leatherwork on the chest and elsewhere on the carts we’ll visit about what I’m thinking about over a cup of coffee or two and then when it’s time for his part I’m always amazed at how what I envisioned comes to life. Nearly every build he comes up with a little different technique that really adds to the piece. On this cart I had an idea for the front of the chest but the side panels were totally his ideas and I think they turned out exceptionally good.

Excellent work Yul, I am proud to say I own one also, one of a kind pieces of art built by one of the nicest guys in the game...and for the record...I like mine better than Bucks, he runs a close second!...CoJack

Archived