SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year Nominations

Dragon Hill Dave #59561

I ain't seen Brother King in years. Where's he keeping himself?

Has Dragon Hill Dave ever been nominated/selected for CC of the Year? 'Twould seem appropriate that he's given credit for this whole CC award thing! And he's quite the shooter, don't forget. :D

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DHD and Bro King are both original members of the Mag 7 as I understand it, and have removed themselves from contention.

I think Bro King mostly plays in 3 gun these days.

And as far as winning a second time, my thought would be that the mag 7 wants new folks to win each year as long as there are suitable candidates.  Which I think there are, but there are a lot of folks who don't frequent the wire.  Though I sure don't presume to speak for them.

Thanks, Dave.

:D

3 hours ago, Hunt Mountain Drifter said:

I would say Holy Rider is a top hand and all around good guy. A Classic Cowboy I have had the pleasure to shoot with him on multiple occasions.

I second that nomination!

I am going to nominate ASA SMITH. He has been shooting Classic Cowboy before it was a category. Works his tail off for his club. Powder Creek Cowboys. When new shooter shows up Asa outfits him with holsters guns and ammo! Been doing this for years! Nice guy. Straight forward talker. 

Christian. Anybody who has been around him can testify to his worthiness. Its ok to vote for 2 nominees!!  

I am going to nominate Mattie Mahala West for Classic Cowgirl. She is one of the nicest gals you will ever meet. Ornery as could be, has a great time shooting!! This gal is a shooter. One of the kindest  gals you will ever meet. She moved to Alabama as she is full time Army. Her duties keep her from shooting sometimes. We do miss her in Kansas. Heck she shoots bigger bullets then I do!! She is proud to shoot Classic Cowgirl.

Please folks I am not writer so I might do her more harm then good. Dantankerous or Major you boys edit it up if you want.!

What High Plains Hud said. Well stated, Hud!

Mattie Mahala West gets my vote as well. I have not seen her in a while but you're right, she's a shooter!

Maybe the Army can let her go to a few more matches this next year. ;)

On 8/20/2019 at 11:54 AM, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have to go with Sixgun Seamus for CC and his lovely wife Cayenne Kay for Classic Cowgirl. 

+1000 for Sixgun Seamus  one of the Best Cowboys you will ever shot with.  His wife Cayenne Kay Won Last Year.  

On 8/21/2019 at 12:11 PM, Major Art Tillery said:

As far as I know they can only win once, but honestly not for sure.  Dragon Hill Dave can give us the info on that next time he check this post.

That is true--you can only win once. We want to give others a chance to be recognized for their good representation of the Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl category.  Sorry it took me awhile to get this answered.

On 8/21/2019 at 1:46 PM, Grizzly Dave said:

DHD and Bro King are both original members of the Mag 7 as I understand it, and have removed themselves from contention.

I think Bro King mostly plays in 3 gun these days.

And as far as winning a second time, my thought would be that the mag 7 wants new folks to win each year as long as there are suitable candidates.  Which I think there are, but there are a lot of folks who don't frequent the wire.  Though I sure don't presume to speak for them.

Thanks Grizzly. Brother King has moved on to other shooting sports, and those on the Magnificent Seven are not eligible. Our thought on the Magnificent Seven is that just being a part of that is recognition enough.

I have had two more nominations for Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year:

Lucinda Teacup from Texas and Pinky Jo from Oklahoma. Those who know them chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

BTT

Hey we need someone nominated with a Pepper related alias!!

2017: Chili Pepper Kid-Black Hills Barb

2018: Major Art Tillery-Cayenne Kay

Two years in a roll!! 

I would nominate one, Boothill Bandit. He got me started and is still helping me out a year later with whatever I may need.  Advise, tips, ammo, even guns. He definitely lives up to the classic cowboy spirt.

I would like  to nominate Augustus Goodnight of ACSA,  A real Classic Cowboy who always goes above & beyond to help others in the world of Cowboy Action Shooting. He has been in this category for some time always dressing the part above & beyond and  is on the board of  Arizona Cowboy Shooter Association as Vice President. He really is a Top Gun & all around classic cowboy & proud to say a fantastic individual & true friend to all.

Respectfully;

Jackrabbit Joe #414

51 minutes ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

I would like  to nominate Augustus Goodnight of ACSA,  A real Classic Cowboy who always goes above & beyond to help others in the world of Cowboy Action Shooting. He has been in this category for some time always dressing the part above & beyond and  is on the board of  Arizona Cowboy Shooter Association as Vice President. He really is a Top Gun & all around classic cowboy & proud to say a fantastic individual & true friend to all.

Respectfully;

Jackrabbit Joe #414

Absolutely a +1 for Augustus ... :lol: 

Comes now with sad news that Augustus Goodnight is part of the Mag 7 & he states he is not eligible for this nomination.

So I will have to withdraw my nomination for him. He would have been a good one my friends..

With all sincere to all;

Jackrabbit Joe

2 hours ago, Jackrabbit Joe #414 said:

Comes now with sad news that Augustus Goodnight is part of the Mag 7 & he states he is not eligible for this nomination.

So I will have to withdraw my nomination for him. He would have been a good one my friends..

With all sincere to all;

Jackrabbit Joe

Oh yeah??!? Wellll ... never mind ... Never really liked that guy anyhow ... Always standing around ... leaning up against things ... Hardly know him ... -_- 

I nominate Sixgun Seamus.

I shot CC for the first time this year at Indiana State and had the great fortune of being assigned to his posse. He was an excellent posse marshall and he went out of his way to talk shop with me about what has and hasn't worked for him while shooting CC. I came away from that experience knowing that I had found a home in the CC category.

I look forward to competing with him for many years to come. 

I nominate Sixgun Seamus.

I shot CC for the first time this year at Indiana State and had the great fortune of being assigned to his posse. He was an excellent posse marshall and he went out of his way to talk shop with me about what has and hasn't worked for him while shooting CC. I came away from that experience knowing that I had found a home in the CC category.

I look forward to competing with him for many years to come. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, Dragon Hill Dave #59561 said:

I have had two more nominations for Classic Cowgirl Shootist of the Year:

Lucinda Teacup from Texas and Pinky Jo from Oklahoma. Those who know them chime in.

Yes have shot with both Lucinda and Pinky. Both defenitely deserving of the award also. Both have been doing it along time too. Couldnt go wrong with these gals. And well deserved. Ok 2 votes each from me. Senority counts for something!!

15 hours ago, Grizzly Dave said:

Anyone heard anything?  I'm on the edge of my seat here!!!

On 8/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, Dragon Hill Dave #59561 said:

...will make the award at Winter Range in February 2020. Looking forward to your nominations.

Slim - Dragon Hill Dave said they were going to try and make their selections by Comin' at Cha.

No clue if they have or not.

I'm hoping to hear soon though, cuz depending on who it is, I may want to make plans to go to WR so I can be there for the presentation.

We have our winners! The Magnificent Seven pondered long and hard on this (mostly long). But our Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootists of the Year for 2019 are Stirrup Trouble and Mattie Mahala West. Congratulations to the winners and to those who were nominated. All of them are special, but these folks stood out for a number of reasons. Come celebrate with us at the Classic Cowboy dinner at Winter Range when we award them their buckles.

Thank you so much. I am very honored. With those that were nominated, honestly, I never expected to receive the honor, and was happy simply being nominated. I am deeply touched. Thank you all

Archived