SASS Wire Forum

Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootist of the Year Nominations

Dragon Hill Dave #59561

We have our winners! The Magnificent Seven pondered long and hard on this (mostly long). But our Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl Shootists of the Year for 2019 are Stirrup Trouble and Mattie Mahala West. Congratulations to the winners and to those who were nominated. All of them are special, but these folks stood out for a number of reasons. Come celebrate with us at the Classic Cowboy dinner at Winter Range when we award them their buckles.

It is that time of year again when the Magnificent Seven solicit nominations for the classic Cowboy and Cowgirl Shootist of the Year. This award recognizes someone who shoots the Classic Cowboy/Cowgirl  category and embodies the spirit of the SASS classic cowboy/cowgirl by being enthusiastic about the sport and the category, encouraging and helping others to explore this sport and this category, and just generally being a great person to be around and shoot with. We have had some great past winners of this award, and we look for nominations of folks who are just as worthy for this year. Our past winners were:

2010: T-Bone Dooley

2011: Lefty Henderson- Shotglass 

2012: RJ Law-Bella Spencer

2013: Big 6 Henderson- Hot Tamale 

2014: GW Ryder- Squawty Bawdy

2015: Doc Baker- Serenity

2016: Tonic Kid- Marie Laveau

2017: Chilipepper Kid-Black Hills Barb

2018: Major Art Tillery-Cayenne Kay

We hope to have our selection done by Comin' At Cha and will make the award at Winter Range in February 2020. Looking forward to your nominations.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like to nominate my good pard and classic Classic Cowboy, Stirrup Trouble.

Always dressed to the nines, working hard at his club and traveling to support other clubs, and promote the classic cowboy way.  The trail ain't been easy on him the last couple of years, but he reached down, cinched up his saddle and found a way to keep on going.

Heck, he's even got me trying to shoot classic now!

Well said, Dave.

Stirrup runs a good club. He works tirelessly as match director. He is an overall ambassador for Cowboy Action Shooting and SASS. He's an RO 2, TG, and all around fine fella. He loves Classic Cowboy and is just that, a classic cowboy.

I second the nomination for Stirrup Trouble.

:D

I don't shoot Classic (would like to but don't have the guns for it), but I'd like to thank the guys that nominated Stirrup....there's no one more deserving than him, and probably only a few as deserving.  He works his butt off for his club, and for SASS in Nebraska.  After all he's gone through in the last year, I don't think anyone would have blamed him at all if he'd needed a break from it, at least for a while, but through all his heartache and pain, and physical struggles, he's hung in there every step of the way.  The Platte Valley Gunslingers couldn't ask for a more loyal and dedicated leader than he is.  And if it wasn't for his encouragement, I may have quit SASS myself....he won't let me....nobody on this planet has been a bigger friend to me the last few years, and has repeatedly put aside his own problems to help however he can with mine.  Any time I hear the phrase "The Cowboy Way", I immediately think of Stirrup...he'd make a fine representative for all the Classics!!

One of the nicest and most genuine people I know. Couldn’t think of anyone more deserving. My vote is for Stirup Trouble also.

Add my vote to Stirrup Trouble.

Can we make it unanimous?  Stirrup Trouble +1

F.S.

Add my vote for Stirrup Trouble also.

Jax T

Well, I don’t disagree with the fact that “Stirrup Trouble” is a great guy and a tough hombre, having endured things that we’ve all watched him get through with great tenacity. He’s also a friend of mine. 

But, I’d like to nominate another candidate. My nomination is for “You Bet.” This Classic Cowboy is a VERY tough competitor and a good guy to boot. He comes from a strong SASS family, the “Reckon Crew.” His whole clan are great supporters of the sport. They are four generations deep in SASS with three of those generations having outstanding shooters. You Bet made the switch to CCB in the last year or so. He won a well contested TX State Championship as CCB since changing over, and finished 3rd in category (CCB) at EOT. He also beat T-Bone Dooley (no small feat) and me (not that big a deal) to win CCB in a well established field at the Texas Ten Horns Match in May. 

Just my two cents worth,

Pony Soldier

SASS 99866

Happy to see so many enthusiastic nominations. I haven't had the pleasure of shooting with Stirrup Trouble but I have been beaten many times by You Bet. Both sound like strong candidates, and the nominations are still open. Would like to see some nominations for Classic Cowgirl as well. Thanks.

Pony! Good to have you here finally!

Welcome to the Wire. You'll enjoy yourself here.

Dave,  I agree, I'd love to see some nominations for Classic Cowgirl. Unfortunately I very rarely get a chance to shoot with any of these fine ladies so I don't really personally know any. (Serenity and Marie Laveau have already been awarded this and most deserving of it they are!) Not sure if they are few and far between or what the case is or maybe I just need to get out more. ;)

I have to go with Sixgun Seamus for CC and his lovely wife Cayenne Kay for Classic Cowgirl. 

10 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I have to go with Sixgun Seamus for CC and his lovely wife Cayenne Kay for Classic Cowgirl. 

Cayenne Kay actually was awarded this great honor last year... Sadly I did not get the chance to meet her.

I'll throw my battered felt hat into the ring for Stirrup Trouble!! Life threw a mean ride of adversity the last few years that would throw most of us off the bronc an' into a rocking chair. But not Stirrup he got back into the saddle and is riding the rough string for all he's worth. To me he's a prime example of what Classic's  should be.

Also he has the best mustache in SASS. 

12 hours ago, Pony Soldier said:

I guess those voting for Cayenne Kay for CCG are oblivious to the fact she won it last year. 

So you can't win two years in a row? Seriously, I don't know!

BTW, I DID know that Cayenne won last year ;)

11 hours ago, Chili Pepper Kid, SASS #60463 said:

Also he has the best mustache in SASS.

Coming from you Chili, that is quite the compliment!

3 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

No one is going to answer this?? :wacko:

5 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Maybe you can.  I didn’t think so. Dragon Hill Dave can someone win two years in a row?

My vote is for ST!!

BUT!!  Just for the heck of it, I'd like to nominate Brother King!!  He's done a LOT for the CC category and should at least get his name in the hat!!  I know that he's into other stuff, but I'd like for his nomination to be on the record!!

Archived