SASS Wire Forum

Recommended rifle for first timer?

Exodus5

I have been shooting all my life, but I’ve never had a lever action rifle.  A couple years ago I finally bought a Uberti Cattleman just for fun and I love the “smoothness” and accuracy.  I decided to try my hand at some cowboy shooting.  My home range is setup for this.  I MAY eventually take part in a event, but I will almost certainly not be a “real competitor”.  

I have started looking for a rifle in 45 colt.  I plan on shooting only cowboy style loads.  Which rifle would be best?  I love the Uberti/Taylor’s/Cimarron 1873’s, but they are kinda pricey for a toy.  I have seen Rossi 92’s sell cheap, but sometimes they get up in the $500+ range and then maybe I should look at the Winchester itself?

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uberti 73. A bit pricey...but not as speedy as the Winchester s I have seen. Also...more parts available and a lot of Smith’s that will work them over. Check out Cody  Conagher. He has some already slicked up and ready to go 

1st of all Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the best game there is in the near future.

2nd Rossi 92, Marlin 94, Ubertit or Winchester 73's all good choices, just stay away from the Henry Big Boy; nice guns just not at all suited for this game.

I think price point is an important part of "first cowboy gun" selection.  

A decent marlin in 357 wont set you back as much as an Uberti or a Winchester and if you decide that cowboy shooting ain't your thing - you can always stick an inexpensive 4x38 scope on it and use it to shoot critters. 

If you decide 'in for a penny in for a pound' then you can get that Marlin slicked up and BAM now you have a sweet rifle for B-Western. 

If you LOVE it and stick around - you'll surely end buying adding additional "tools" for the trade.

3 minutes ago, Chuck Steak said:

If you decide 'in for a penny in for a pound' then you can get that Marlin slicked up and BAM now you have a sweet rifle for B-Western. 

or any category other than Classic Cowboy.

My first was a Rossi 92 in 357,slicked by Steves Gunz,Still have it and still love it.I have had a 73  done by Cody and and 66s and other 73s and other 92s..I shoot a 73  now with the 3rd gen. SS kit and love it.Go to shoot and shoot as many rifles as you can before you buy.Just my Pennys worth.

Define what you mean by "real" competitor.

Probably 5 to 10% of all active cowboy shooters would qualify as really super duper serious extra competitive. Then there is another level that competes against themselves or their friends match after match year after year, mostly for fun and bragging rights. And then there are plenty of people who just shoot for fun regardless of the outcome.

Go to a match and meet some good cowboy folk. You will get hooked. You don't have to be "competitive" but you should plan on having fun.

Oh, and :DWELCOME!!!!! :D

26 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get to that range when a cowboy shoot is going on, and folks will let you try theirs for sure.

You'll find what fit you best, that way.

OLG

This.

39 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Get to that range when a cowboy shoot is going on, and folks will let you try theirs for sure.

You'll find what fit you best, that way.

OLG

While I am not typically in the try everything before you buy crowd, especially when speaking with experienced shooters, in the case of rifles I think it's a good idea. Pistols you can play with in a store and find out what feels right to you. But rifles you can really only feel while you are shooting and cycling them. You can't do that in a store. The 73/66 platform is the most popular in the game and for good reason. The toggle links make for a nice smooth levering experience. That isn't to say that the others can't be smooth. They just feel different. The Marlin and 92 are somewhat similar, having the lever attached to the bolt rather than through links, they are also pretty different. The 92 is about the most complicated jig saw puzzle I have ever seen, whereas the Marlin is about as simple as they come. The Marlin also has the advantage of side ejection for brass so you can mount a scope on top if you are into double duty for the rifle. The 92 is the lightest of the bunch and really has a nice balance. Easy to see why The Duke preferred one. As for brands, if going with the 73/66 I would highly recommend the Winchester. It's better built all around and the most ready to go out of the box of any of the guns. And they are much prettier than Uberti's. The Winchester 92 is another option, more expensive than the Rossi, but I think better built. They have a rebounding hammer, so many folks say to stay away from them. But as our very own Driftwood Johnson has shown us, rebounding hammers existed in the old west as well. The Marlin is my personal least favorite of the group, but a great gone nonetheless. Folks will say only get the JM version, and they may be right. But if so, shop around for a good deal and hope the prices continue to drop as the Remington Marlins get better. They weren't very good at all when they first came out, and because of that folks treated the JM ones as if they were made of gold. As they have gotten better, the prices are slowing coming back down to earth.

Honest I am not trying to be snarky or condescending, but if you are not going to be "competitive" then it really doesn't make any difference what you choose.  The '73s and '66s are in demand and are priced accordingly because they have been found to be the best choices for those who are trying to win.  They are also enjoyed by folks who like smooth functioning rifles and are willing to pay the price for that pleasure.  

.45 Colt ammunition can get expensive.  If you do not plan to reload, a rifle in .357 Mag or .38 Special will be a more economical choice.  I enjoyed shooting .45 Colt for several years, but I can cast and load two .38 Special cartridges out of the same amount of lead and powder that one .45 Colt cartridge (especially the historic "cowboy" load) requires.

Ultimately you should buy the rifle and caliber that gives you the most fun.  That is really the most important consideration. Hope to see you at a match!  

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I know my M/94 carbine in .44, is bit lighter than a 92 carbine in 44.

Yup-JMB must have loved puzzles.....:lol:

OLG

1 hour ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

A Marlin 94 is lighter than a M-92 of the Same Type .....

Jabez Cowboy

Really? I don't own a rossi, only an original Winchester 92 carbine made in 1927 in 44-40 and it's almost as light as a pistol. Maybe even light than my walker. I don't own a 94 either, and only played around  little with them. They feel almost as awkward in my hands as a ruger does so I don't have much experience with them.

Best advice was to borrow/share one from shooters who will let you help with ammo till you determine what you want.

Buy used if you can. My first rifle for CAS, no SASS club around in Ga when I first started, was a used rossi 92 in .357.

Along with the other brands I've built many rossi's into match guns over the years and still use a 92  a good part of the time.

The light weight of the rossi can be a plus or minus depending on you. You'll have to decide what suits your shooting style and finances and go from there. Good luck.

Joe West

The 92 is a good gun in general.   A Rossi 92 is probably the least expensive way to get one, but it will eventually irritate you with the action being a bit clunky.   In all fairness, it's good enough.  You only notice the clunkiness when you compare it to a real Winchester or to another gun that has a really nice action.  You want it in .45 Colt, so that rules out a real Winchester.   I'd recommend the Chiappa.   More expensive than the Rossi, but no annoying modern safeties, and the action is very smooth and nice right out of the box.  Avoid an Armi San Marco 92 if you see one.  Very pretty rifles, horrible actions.  First gun I ever had to get an action job for as it was all but unshootable out of the box.

If you want to spend a little more money, an Uberti 66 or 73 is a good choice.   Again, shootable right of the box.   So's a Henry, but that's not a gun for a beginner.

I am unfamiliar with the Marlins; I shoot left handed.

And, to give you a real minority opinion, an AWA Lightning in .45 Colt is my favorite main match rifle.  Shot two multi day matches clean with it, including End of the Trail.   These are used market only, as AWA is gone.    Other Lightning clones on the market did not impress me quality wise.   The exception being the Pedersoli, which I have no experience with, but is rather expensive.

Good luck.

Best advise, figure out how much money you're willing to spend.

Otherwise it's just an exercise in seeing who can either write the longest response and or spout off about their rifles... Oh, and post pictures of their

rifles.

:wacko:

Thanks all.

This weekend so got serious about my search.  I wasn’t able to shoot one (yet) but I did get to work the actions on a few.  

The Cimarron 1873 deluxe in 45 felt great and operated beautifully, but Cabela’s wanted $60 less than new price for a well used rifle.

The Rossi 92 (newer Braztech model) felt clunky by comparison.

Cabela’s also had a 1900 production 1892 in stock....that was nice, but again (Cabela’s) too high.

I need to look at a Henry and there is a guy selling a used Uberti but he isn’t responding and is 3.5hrs away.

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Best advise, figure out how much money you're willing to spend.

Otherwise it's just an exercise in seeing who can either write the longest response and or spout off about their rifles... Oh, and post pictures of their

rifles.

:wacko:

Haha now you gone and done it. I'm about to comb through my library and see what pictures I can post

50 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Really? I don't own a rossi, only an original Winchester 92 carbine made in 1927 in 44-40 and it's almost as light as a pistol. Maybe even light than my walker. 

The only thing lighter than a Walker, is the Titanic's anchor.   :lol:

OLG

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The only thing lighter than a Walker, is the Titanic's anchor.   :lol:

OLG

Maybe they should have used a walker. Might have stopped them soon enough to avoid the ice berg

This all reads out a lot like the research and suggestions I received, so what I did was sit down and payed out on a Cimarron 1873 Short Rifle in .357 after having shot both a Winchester 73 and 92. And 2 Cimarron Pistoleros in .357 (shocker!). As well as a Stoeger Coach gun for good measure. Did my wallet take a hit?  You bet but I feel better about not going super cheap and regretting it later. 

Marlins CAN.be fast!  Ask Deuce Stevens. 

Winchester Miroku 1873s are ready to go right out of the box.  I've seen new ones as low aa $900 in local gunshop.  Parts from Browning Winchester service center was no problem.  The lack of aftermarket parts may be because they don't need any.

5983493ef32fb_73sAug2017.jpg.465069dfb2006a063860d3c217c10f27.jpg

The stock Winchester Miroku 1873s (below) have a shorter stroke than a stock Uberti.

14 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Doesn't Deuce also have a video with a 92 going faster than I ever could with any rifle?

What's important to a first time shooter is a gun that feeds and goes bang reliably.  About the only one rifle I wouldn't recommend is the Henry Big Boy.

I don't know your finances and wouldn't ever presume to tell you how to spend your money....................BUT..............:D

I've been in various forms of firearms competition for over 30 years.  One of the things I hate the absolute most is being held back by my equipment.  For that reason I'd suggest you buy the best you can afford. This is obviously my opinion only but I think you'd be much better served cutting corners in places other than firearms.  Guns are the very thing this game is built around.  Don't skimp on them. Yes, this can be a very expensive game to get into.  But in my ever so humble opinion it's well worth the price.

2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

What's important to a first time shooter is a gun that feeds and goes bang reliably.  About the only one rifle I wouldn't recommend is the Henry Big Boy.

Oh really???

So you'd recommend a Winchester 94 over a Henry BB??

8 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Oh really???

So you'd recommend a Winchester 94 over a Henry BB??

When I first started in this game in 1995 , I was looking for a 45 cal rifle also , and about all that was available locally was the Winchester 94 in a Trapper model. It would have taken some work to have found a worse choice. About six months later I learned of the new Marlin Cowboy edition , and that misery was over. 

I have never shot a Henry Big Boy , but have seen them in use(to be generous) at several matches. Usually not conductive to good harmony. That is my personal experience with those two choices.

Whatever you choose , welcome to the game ; Good luck and good shooting.

Rex :D

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I don't know your finances and wouldn't ever presume to tell you how to spend your money....................BUT..............:D

I've been in various forms of firearms competition for over 30 years.  One of the things I hate the absolute most is being held back by my equipment.  For that reason I'd suggest you buy the best you can afford. This is obviously my opinion only but I think you'd be much better served cutting corners in places other than firearms.  Guns are the very thing this game is built around.  Don't skimp on them. Yes, this can be a very expensive game to get into.  But in my ever so humble opinion it's well worth the price.

This says it all.

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You guys that reference "Cimarron" guns understand that Cimarron is not a manufacturer...right???

Not sure about everyone else, but I understand they are just an importer.

thanks to all for the help.

Lots of folks started with a '92 because of the attractive price point. Lots of folks still use them. My first was a 24" stainless Rossi .45 Colt. It's long gone by the wayside, but I still shoot '92's every once in awhile. If you're going to practice regularly to be an alpha competitor where tenths, or even hundredths of a second means the difference between a buckle or a wood plaque or piece of paper, then by all means, go for a .357 1873 set up by a knowledgeable Cowboy gunsmith . The vast majority of shooters will never shoot a 20 second stage, no matter what they use, and 20 seconds is pretty dang slow among the top gun crowd. Winning is everything to some people, but if you're going to be an average Joe, dividing your recreational time between CAS, camping, skiing, hiking, golfing, fishing, hunting, or whatever, a Rossi '92 with a spring kit will work just fine to spend a day or two on the range every month or so.

Archived