SASS Wire Forum

The Nine Minute Match

Subdeacon Joe

9 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What is this BS?

Published on Sep 9, 2013
Footage of 9 Minute Match during the California Combat Match 2013 at Camp San Luis Obispo. Target is 25 meters downrange. Target consists of 5 circle targets on a 8.5x11 sheet of paper (its freakin small target). 20 rds for this match which are placed 25 meters behind firing line. Competitors must run back to the 25meter ammo line and acquire one round and run back to the firing line, chamber the round, and fire at one of the targets. The competitor must do this for 9 minutes, fire all 20 rounds, and hit the paper. If competitor fails to fire all 20 rds or miss the paper the shooter is disqualified and no points count. To receive a point for each hit the shooter much shoot no more than 4 rounds for each target. This match tests the shooter's fitness, ability to think on the move and under pressure, and marksmanship. I was disqualified because I only fired 19 rds. As I ran back to get the 20th round the buzzer fired. I did hit the paper 19 times. I did get 4 bullseyes 3 of which were Xs. I got 10 in the black and 5 misses. If I were to do it again I would put as many rounds as I could in my hat, wear only one glove on the left hand so when I need to get into the prone I can use my gloved hand to cushion my landing. I would also run faster haha.

4 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

What's the point? :blink:

I assume it’s a National Guard thing. I’ll say no more.

I have to say that is one of the stupidest things I have ever seen. There’s no logic to it...and I can see this as the brainchild of some Nat’l Guard Officer.

I’ll bet he or she read a book referencing the Russians in WW2 and how they lacked weapons and doled out ammo...or maybe he or she had more extensive experience, like playing Call Of Duty, the first PC version...

Where in reality is something like this based?

Sergeant - “Trooper, we need more ammo! Fall back and bring me one round of 5.56. Go!”

PFC - “ Sarge, one round? What about the other guys?”

Sergeant - “Yes, one round. We will all do this until we have held back the enemy...”

Lieutenant - “Sergeant, what is the meaning of this?”

Sergeant - “ Sir, this is a tactic we learned from Colonel Schmuck. We trained on this for days.”

Lieutenant - “You knew Colonel Schmuck?”

Sergeant - “Yes Sir. Great man. Got the highest score ever on Call Of Duty, the PC single player game, Sir. Damn shame the Internet ruined war gaming...”

Lieutenant - “Yes Sergeant, I agree. Carry on!”

The purpose of that drill is to induce physical and mental stress into the marksmanship challenge.

We do similar things in our 2G-ACM matches, although usually 90-180 seconds instead.

Run 50 meters, get into position, load rifle and hit a small target, all in less than 27 seconds, repeat 19 times, very difficult.  You have to maintain a certain pace, run too fast, you get gassed, too slow, run out of time.  Getting into position quickly, maintain breathing, sight picture, send it, get going again.

I imagine that modern soldiers might have to do a fair amount of run to cover, shoot, run to cover, shoot.  Might be nice to have experienced that in training first.   Just my observation/opinion, I could be wrong, I was in the Navy after all. 

I still think it's silly. There is a term in law enforcement called "Training Scars". The theory (and reality) is if you train a certain way you act a certain way under pressure. I would hate to be the soldiers waiting for the Private to return with much needed ammo only to have him show up with one round in his hand.

There are other, better, ways to perform physical stress while also shooting other than instilling bad habits. Also, if soldiers, sailors, Marines, etc. think training is stupid they will not retain what they learn from it. You can bet nearly every guy or girl there is cursing the stupidity of this exercise under his or her breath. I know I would be.

Yup, Pat. There are much better and more practical ways to induce realistic stress for training.

“You will fight like you train”

And the bozo on the PA system needs to keep his comments Only to range commands. Clowning around can get somebody hurt.

Archived