SASS Wire Forum

seperating ss pins after tumbling, and easier way

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

Yul, you may have already answered this and I missed it but how about the primer pockets? Clean??  Thx-  SCJ

42 minutes ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Yul, you may have already answered this and I missed it but how about the primer pockets? Clean??  Thx-  SCJ

I don’t decap before I clean the brass, just another step to do. On the 8th day God created sizing dies with primer punches built in:P and on the 9th day he told reloaders that they didn’t have enough to do and they needed to decap  as a separate step:P:P. It’s a joke folks, relax.  Anyway I’ve never tried it with decapped cases. Now that I don’t have any carts scheduled to build and I get bored I’ll decap some and try it to see how clean they get. My whole intent in not using the pins or ceramic media was to get out of work and for me the brass is clean enough for our game, I’m sure others disagree.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

I don’t decap before I clean the brass, just another step to do. On the 8th day God created sizing dies with primer punches built in:P and on the 9th day he told reloaders that they didn’t have enough to do and they needed to decap  as a separate step:P:P. It’s a joke folks, relax.  Anyway I’ve never tried it with decapped cases. Now that I don’t have any carts scheduled to build and I get bored I’ll decap some and try it to see how clean they get. My whole intent in not using the pins or ceramic media was to get out of work and for me the brass is clean enough for our game, I’m sure others disagree.

Ok, I do decap before and im kind of anal about having clean primer pockets and using the pins the cases look brand new, I don't mind separating the pins so its all good for me. Thanks-  SCJ

1 hour ago, Silver Creek Jack said:

Ok, I do decap before and im kind of anal about having clean primer pockets and using the pins the cases look brand new, I don't mind separating the pins so its all good for me. Thanks-  SCJ

I’ll try some decapped brass this week and report back. Personally I don’t know how much difference there will be because how many pins can get in primer pockets during a tumbling session? I’ll let you know and take some pictures of the results.

26 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

I’ll try some decapped brass this week and report back. Personally I don’t know how much difference there will be because how many pins can get in primer pockets during a tumbling session? I’ll let you know and take some pictures of the results.

Common sense applied.  I'm with you.  I don't see any reason to feed all the cases a second time, to deprime before tumbling.  And the SS pin tumbling wear on the pocket sides might even work against solid new primer seating.  Just guessing. 

I bet most of the cleaning action  comes from the detergent, polishing agent(s) and water motion in tumbling.  I bet really hot water would work even better.   

Personally I hate getting that "nothing" feeling when priming cases that have worn or loose primer pockets, that cause me to have to break the progression to check and make sure individual primers  seated properly.  So I don't deprime before tumbling.  I suspect that as long as the flash holes are clear, The corrosion on the walls of the pocket itself is inconsequential and the extra crud could actually help to get a solid seating on the new primers.  

I could be wrong, but when loading brass with freshly deprimed and often corroded and discolored pockets on my 650XL, There is never any question if a primer was fed and seated.  I can always feel that subtle seating pressure.  

So mostly go through the tumbling step just to get rid of the black powder residue and lead residues on the outside of cases, so I can handle them without gloves.  I doubt the inside of cases needs to be sparkling clean to enable acceptable powder drops and  bullet seating/crimping on  CAS grade smokeless cartridges.  

9 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Well I guess I just took for granted the pins cleaned the pockets, I have never tried decapping and then wet tumble without the pins. Ha! I may have spoke to soon!   SCJ

10 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

... how many pins can get in primer pockets during a tumbling session? ...

I reloaded three calipers; 40 S&W (small primer), 45 Colt (larger primer) and 5.56 (small primmer).  Of these three calipers only the 5.56 may have a few primer holes filled with SS pins, easy to spot when I check for splits on the casings.

On 8/25/2019 at 5:13 AM, Matthew Duncan said:

I reloaded three calipers; 40 S&W (small primer), 45 Colt (larger primer) and 5.56 (small primmer).  Of these three calipers only the 5.56 may have a few primer holes filled with SS pins, easy to spot when I check for splits on the casings.

I wasn’t saying the pins would get stuck in the primer pocket or flash hole. I was questioning how many pins would actually find their way into do the cleaning versus no pins and just strato Sheen, Dawn and Lemishine. We will find out in about an hour.

Archived