SASS Wire Forum

seperating ss pins after tumbling, and easier way

Cheyenne Culpepper 32827

yes I have the magnet, but we all know it's a drag trying to seperate the pins from the brass,,,  I have the blue seperator that "spins"   but that throws them all over if you go to fast,,,

now,  I'm lucky, have a barn that I do my tumbling in,,,,   now I fill the blue "box" with enough water to cover at least a third of the basket,,, then I slowly spin it,,,  very few pins left in the basket,,,,   then I pour the water into a 5 gallon bucket of into the gravel,,, carefully so that the pins stay in the container,,,     much easier and quicker  and rinses the brass really well

Even easier-don’t use the pins at all. You’ll be amazed at how nicely the brass cleans up

1 minute ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Even easier-don’t use the pins at all. You’ll be amazed at how nicely the breast cleans up

We've yet to use the pins.  Frankford Arsenal tumbler.  Water, Simple Green, Lemi-Shine, tumble one hour.

+1 for Cheyenne, but I rinse the pins off until they're clean through a piece of old t-shirt . Then, I dry everything in an old food dehydrator I got in a thrift store, Cases, pins, and the t-shirt. I spread the pins and t-shirt out on the top shelf and everything's dry in about an hour. I only do the b/p cases.

Isom

Gee.  I just the leave the SS pins in the tumbler and blue separator until dry or when they are needed again, whichever comes first.

2 hours ago, Too Tall Bob said:

Even easier-don’t use the pins at all. You’ll be amazed at how nicely the brass cleans up

Yep, I rarely use the ceramic media anymore. Water, Dawn dish soap, a little Lemishine and a teaspoon of Strat O Sheen and that’s it. Clean shiny brass after an hour and rinsing takes about a minute an then out onto the drying screen in the sun.

1 hour ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Gee.  I just the leave the SS pins in the tumbler and blue separator until dry or when they are needed again, whichever comes first.

You think it would work with bp as well?

Nah.  I just give my brass a half hour soak in water and vinegar then oven dry it, throw it inna tumbler w/Lazard Litter for an hour and DONE!!  Dillon media separator does just fine.

This missive has no material additional information pertaining to the OP.  It's just a really quiet Sunday (except for the thunderstorm moving in) and I'm bored.  So if you all choose to ignore my report, feel free, I son't be at all offended.

1 hour ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

It's just a really quiet Sunday (except for the thunderstorm moving in) and I'm bored.  So if you all choose to ignore my report, feel free, I son't be at all offended.

We, in centeral Missouri,  have been under flash flood warnings off and on over a week.  Massive storms come up out of Oklahoma,  Kansas or Nebraska and dump heavy rains norrh of us. The front gets to us and just melts away or slides around.  

Yes,  it is pretty slow here on the wire.   

4 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

You think it would work with bp as well?

Yes Sir I do.  We where moving a stage front and I found several brass cases.  Green, tarnished and brown.  Three hours wet tumbling with SS and they came out shiny.  Better yet all the crud inside the case were clean too.  

1 minute ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Yes Sir I do.  We where moving a stage front and I found several brass cases.  Green, tarnished and brown.  Three hours wet tumbling with SS and they came out shiny.  Better yet all the crud inside the case were clean too.  

Oops. I meant to quote the other post not using the pins. I do exactly as you do with SS pins

A friend of mine that does a lot of 3 gun uses a cement mixer for wet tumbling his 9mm.  Holds a bunch of brass, plenty of water.  So now I am eyeing that old cement mixer in the garage.

Me I dump into a big tray with slots sitting over a tray with mesh.  Most of the pins go through and the few that do not then pick up with magnet.

I too wonder about pins seems a good tumble with cleaner and shine does a pretty good job.

Yep, Frankford Arsenal media separator filled with water to cover 1/3 of the basket. Dry on an old dehydrator.

18 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Yep, I rarely use the ceramic media anymore. Water, Dawn dish soap, a little Lemishine and a teaspoon of Strat O Sheen and that’s it. Clean shiny brass after an hour and rinsing takes about a minute an then out onto the drying screen in the sun.

^ What he said.  Yul Lose turned me on to Strat O Sheen and I don't think I'll ever go back to using pins.

I'll have to get strat o sheen to try that,  I did wo pins for  about 30 pcs of 44-40 with dawn and lemon shine and wasn't pleased...

6 minutes ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

I'll have to get strat o sheen to try that,  I did wo pins for  about 30 pcs of 44-40 with dawn and lemon shine and wasn't pleased...

It doesn't get the inside of the cases as shiny as with pins but I couldn't care less about that.  They're like gold on the outside and perfectly clean on the inside.  That's all I need.

Here's how I separate pins from cases:

Required items: Sifter pan and 2 pastry/frosting buckets (from local bakery) Buckets are about 2 or 2.5 gallons.

Put one bucket under the sifter. Pour cases/media in sifter. Put second bucket on top (upside down of course). Shake, shake, shake. Remove top bucket and place right side up on table. transfer sifter to that bucket. Pour pins from first bucket back into tumbler. First bucket now becomes the top bucket. Repeat from shake, shake, shake onward 2 or 3 more times. Usually takes about 30 seconds or so to do 3 or 4 shake sequences. Pins are now separated from cases.

2 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

Where do you get lemon shine? Is it a powder or a liquid? 

In the household cleaner section of your local Wally-World or equivalent.  It's a common product used in dish washers - more important if you have hard water.  

5 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

It comes in both liquid and powder forms.

Get the powder, I tried the liquid and had poor results compared to the powder .

5 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

Only use about 1/4 teaspoon of the powder.

6 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

First thing to do is remember it's not "lemon shine".  The proper name is Lemi-Shine. It softens the water which makes the soap work better.

lemi shine.png

Get you some of this and put your stainless pins away for good!

https://www.thereloadingstation.com/products/brass-juice-case-wash

or

If you ask nicely, Shooting Bull may be able to insert his earlier thread on the subject(I would, but I don't know how!)

2 hours ago, Smoky Pistols said:

Get you some of this and put your stainless pins away for good!

https://www.thereloadingstation.com/products/brass-juice-case-wash

or

If you ask nicely, Shooting Bull may be able to insert his earlier thread on the subject(I would, but I don't know how!)

You mean this one?:D

Original Thread

Hey fellas, that lemi shine's active ingredient (what actually makes the brass so shiny) is citric acid. you can get it in the canning supplies at walmart or anywhere that sells canning stuff. when using straight citric acid only use 1/4 of the amount that you would of lemi shine. 

as for separating the pins I dump the contents of the tumbler into a strainer seated over a bucket, shuffle it around as I rinse it off. pins fall through and brass is in the strainer. dry your brass in your favorite way, then dump the bucket of water and pins through a piece of cheese cloth and then toss them back in the tumbler for next time. The pins arent needed unless you want new looking brass inside and out every time. 

I too fill up blue separates and spin slow. Transfer water thru screen hole to bucket then spin fast to dry out brass. Then use magnet to put pins on towel with lamp over to dry. Few pins lost. Do not use micro towel for pins, they stick to it

I dump the tumbled cases (with spent primers still in) and pins into a 1/4" gold panner's classification screen that exactly fits into the top of a 5 gal plastic bucket.  Most (MOST) of the pins wash through with a garden hose, except a few resting deeply inside the brass cases, and adhering by moisture surface tension.  Then I dump the cases/pins off the screen, onto an aluminum drying tray and thoroughly sun dry them, then use a strong magnet to stir the cases and grab the few remaining pins.   Honestly, this works only OK.  It takes quite a bit of time,  and I have bent a depriming pin or two from a residual pin in the bottom of a case.   Several other methods here seem like they would be an improvement.  I need to give them a spin-literally.  

I prefer to tumble with primers left in, because I have concerns about pocket abrasion and loosening from SS pin abrasion.  I'm sure opinions here will differ about that.  

On 8/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, Yul Lose said:

I can see how that would clean the outside of cases.  Does it get the insides clean (enough)? 

12 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

I can see how that would clean the outside of cases.  Does it get the insides clean (enough)? 

In my opinion yes it does. I posted some pictures on another thread and here they are. I’ve never had an issue with brass that wasn’t cleaned with pins or ceramic media. I like it because it eliminates another time consuming task in cleaning brass, which I hate to do.

B183706B-CBD4-49A9-86BA-85E575EC3DD6.jpeg

863D9605-AB95-453F-8AB5-9E93B8DF40A5.jpeg

C7714BB5-8724-4BEF-98AC-CB1107273158.jpeg

22EC3E85-6B29-4BDA-92A0-C8082FB5951B.jpeg

Archived