SASS Wire Forum

Batwing or Shotgun chaps

Buckshot Sheridan

For those shooting CC and wearing chaps which style do you prefer and why?  I don't intend to use them regularly, but I figure they may be nice to have on hand for matches when the weather is less than friendly see WR 2019.

Buckshot,

buy what you like. Both are great but I prefer the look of shotgun chaps. I bought the light weight leather, only good for cowboy action not riding. The leather is so light that I don’t even realize I’m wearing them. They easy to get on and off with the metal clips.  

YMMV

Gringo

For whatever it’s worth batwing chaps didn’t come along until the early 1900’s, shotgun chaps were worn back before 1899. Whatever!!!

Well, it depends on what era of cowboys you are trying to portray.  Bat-wing chaps did not come into the picture until late,  1890's or so.  And...it also depends on how important authenticity is to you.  For some, authenticity is a big deal...for others...not so much.  If you portray the B-westerns, most movie westerns, and television cowboys, the bat-wing chaps seem to be the dominate design.    

However...the shotgun chaps are the more authentic to the cowboy period, if that matters to you. 

Since S.A.S.S. allows tons of lee-way in what they insist on, then either design is fine to choose to wear.

It just depends on you, and your mind-set, and what is comfortable to you. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.    

I prefer shotguns.  I have 2 pair, one total step through and 1 partial step through with buckles.  Slightly different style, little different look both authentic to an earlier period in the Old West.

I also recently bought chinks. Just because. They are a gorgeous set and for really hot weather more sane to wear. ;)

The shotguns are great for wet or cold weather. I have a set made with thick leather and these things are perfect when shooting in weather below 50°.

I do like batwings and will get a set at some point. Batwings and Bisleys are both from almost the same time so IMO they are a perfect match.

I’ve got 2 pairs of chinks and one pair of batwings that I wear when the weather is ugly. 

Chinks, especially the light weight pair I picked up at EOT from  Docs Old West are great in the heat and humidity. 

I will get a pair of shotgun chaps at some point both for the way they look and for a little more authenticity, FWIW. 

Dutch

Just from experience 40 years ago. I preferred batwings over shotgun because I was fixing fence line and was on and off horseback all day. Shotguns good for riding all day, not for ground work. Batwings  folded up double layer protection on your thighs when tagging and vaccinating. 

shotgun and chinks,and batwings, all depends on my mood,,,  anything from suede, hair on, smooth or woolies

shotgun when oiled up make for better rain pants, or snow.   Seems like the batwings would always move just enough when ridding to get wet  or cold legs.  You can wear a pair of blue jean shorts under a pair of shotgun and the fashion police will not even know the difference....  Did so at Utah Wars one year, not by choice but forgot to pack the jeans.

On cool/cold days I will wear my chaps used in my previous ranching days (pine trees took place of cattle on ranch).  Mine are shotgun type, but I do believe some shotgun chaps tend to have more "wing" than others.  Mine are of such.  These chaps have sue come in handy this year, especially at Winter Range.

If buying now for CAS,  I would probably go with chinks.  For sure, Doc Akins at Doc's Old West would be my guy.  Great work and he & Andrea are just awesome folks.

Batwing, shotgun, chinks, got more than one of each.  Personally, I like the looks of the batwings.  Shotgun, usually, are a little more comfortable, although I typically tend to wear the batwings more.  Chinks.... well, yeah, they are actually the most comfortable, especially in hot weather.  I do wear them from time to time, but like full length better.  Personal preference.  I've shopped many a chap/chink vendor.  Hands down (IMHO) you can't beat Doc's Old West for value for $$$ spent.  Doc and Andrea WILL do you right!

Titus A.(who loves his chaps) Gnatsass

18 hours ago, Buckshot Sheridan said:

For those shooting CC and wearing chaps which style do you prefer and why?  I don't intend to use them regularly, but I figure they may be nice to have on hand for matches when the weather is less than friendly see WR 2019.

I have a pair of each. Normally wear shotgun because they are more period correct. If I'm going to do something where I don't want to be wearing chaps (like shooting long range while setting) then I wear the batwing because they can be removed without taking off my boots. If it's really hot then bat wings allow more air and are cooler. Shotguns are warmer when it cold.

I wear shotguns when riding or whatever I am doing but I like a heavy pair of batwings when in heavy rain or wet snow. However, if you are riding when the wind is really blowing from behind you the batwings will blow out and expose your legs to the weather. I see no practical use for chinks except for this type of shooting

I have at least one of everything and wear them all at one point or another. My favorite pair are step through shotgun chaps (I swear I shoot better in those) but they are a hassle to put on. Chinks are so easy to don, but they are really late in the cowboy era and don't meet authenticity standards when you are facing costume contest judges and going for the original Classic Cowboy look. Batwings are generally heavier and, being in Texas where it is pretty warm most of the year, don't get worn as much.  If I was shooting in cooler country, it would be shotgun chaps and batwings for me.

They were just chaps when I was a lad...  Looking online it looks like we wore shotgun chaps when working.  Now when I wear chaps, I wear my dad's old rodeo chaps to honor him.  I need to fix the buckles on the left leg before I wear them again.  They are a little worn, and they're a few years older than I am.

Archived