SASS Wire Forum

Wild Bunch Action Shooting 101

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

“Wild Bunch Action Shooting 101” probably would have been a good title for this episode.  ;)

Enjoy!  And let me know what y’all think...

20 minutes ago, LostVaquero said:

Nice job.  Hope you might cover BAMM as well at some point.

Wild Bunch is a lot of fun.  Glad giving it a go.

Got my BAMM rifle figured out.

Thank you.

... BAMM? 

2thumbsup.jpg

I use a Taylor's Tactical 1911 clone, an 1873 short rifle & either a 1897 trench gun or a mdl 12.   But, I'm slow, miss a lot and have a danged lot of FUN!

7 hours ago, Dusty Boddems said:

Good job! Enjoyable and gave good information, well done. Dusty B

Thank you Dusty!

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Very cool.  I'll be shooting my first WB match Labor Day weekend.

One question; why no BP in your 1911?

I’ve heard/read that the 1911 will not function reliably after just a couple/few magazines of Black Powder.  So, my 1911 and my 1897 get feed a strict  diet of smokeless (and, I know the Winchester 1897 will function just fine with Black Powder, my sidekick, Kook, runs BP in hers all the time).  

20 minutes ago, Griff said:

2thumbsup.jpg

I use a Taylor's Tactical 1911 clone, an 1873 short rifle & either a 1897 trench gun or a mdl 12.   But, I'm slow, miss a lot and have a danged lot of FUN!

Sounds like a great load-out.   

7 hours ago, Dusty Boddems said:

Good job! Enjoyable and gave good information, well done. Dusty B

Oh, BTW, Dusty uses an 1873 converted to 45ACP, a mdl 12 and an original 1918 Colt 1911, in some bright finish all scratched up by some famous guy that he bought new!!!  :P

3 hours ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

I’ve heard/read that the 1911 will not function reliably after just a couple/few magazines of Black Powder.  So, my 1911 and my 1897 get feed a strict  diet of smokeless (and, I know the Winchester 1897 will function just fine with Black Powder, my sidekick, Kook, runs BP in hers all the time).  

Who ever told you that has never seen these guy shooting.  I love shooting BP and this was my inspiration for getting into WB.  My first few matches will be smokeless till I get the hang of it them BP WB here I come. :)

Oh I miss more than I should but getting better.  Dueling trees are especially my downfall.

Just like cowboy though having a great time.

Yes indeed Bolt Action Military Match.  Some places limit to all lead (gas check usually allowed) velocity 1600fps or less due to range and steel restriction. 

Though not official (yet)  some places experimenting with GAMM (Garand military) or SAMM (semi auto which you might see Winchester 1907 and Remington model 8s in the mix both being right in that WB era - pre WW1).

Also some clubs experimenting with POP.  Pocket Pistol but WB style with pocket pistols from that era such as 1903 pocket hammerless or Browning 25acp pocket.  Those little semi autos (380 acp limit). 

Again just experiments but think it draws a couple more people in. 

Me I use a Taurus pt1911 in modern picked up spanking new for under $500, a Marlin in 45 Colt and was already using a 1897 pump that I put in the Wild Bodie 6 conversion in.  I use my same cowboy leather just slip off the holsters and put a 1911 holster and three mag holders on.  So got into WB for just a bit over a grand and best $1000 ever spent.

If you already have a large bore rifle but not shotgun, used 1987 and model 12s are easy to find fairly cheap.  Plenty of 1911s under $500 both in modern and traditional category. Cheap like me some leather mods good to go.

BAMM a bit more expensive.  Bore condition is everything.  Even so I ended up for about 700 with a Swiss K31.  Gun Smith just laughed and asked if ever been shot and commented lock up was tighter than a lot of new stuff on the shelves.

All I know is with my under 1600fps lead rounds, steel target 15x15 in 100 meters away if I do my part I can drill that target dead center.  What a great feeling to hear spotter say hit in the middle.

Sorry long but yep WB got its hooks in and grinning all the way while being reeled in.

I shoot traditional, with a Remington r1, clone 73 and China doll 1897. I’m fortunate that my club, Dixie Desperados, generally schedules at least one WB match per month and have a good turnout of class shooters and dedicated set up volunteers.

Thanks for the video...my impression is you have a great group of fellow shooters having fun; that’s what this game is all about.  

Ned

On 8/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

Who ever told you that has never seen these guy shooting.  I love shooting BP and this was my inspiration for getting into WB.  My first few matches will be smokeless till I get the hang of it them BP WB here I come. :)

Hmm... that gets my brian churning a bit...  Thanks for the info...

On 8/18/2019 at 6:21 PM, Angry Ned said:

I shoot traditional, with a Remington r1, clone 73 and China doll 1897. I’m fortunate that my club, Dixie Desperados, generally schedules at least one WB match per month and have a good turnout of class shooters and dedicated set up volunteers.

Thanks for the video...my impression is you have a great group of fellow shooters having fun; that’s what this game is all about.  

Ned

Sounds like you have a lot of opportunities to shoot Wild Bunch!  And, yes, it seems wherever I travel to the group is fun!  :)

Man, this is a great video. I was already excited for our monthly match coming up this weekend, but now I gotta figure out how to make it 3 more days without a mag change. Thank you for using the platform to spread the good word about WBAS.

I really want to shoot gunfighter at a monthly WB match. With the rule changes this year, I think we can do it safely by staging both pistols on a table with a loaded mag inserted and the slide locked back. To keep things simple, no reloads. Just pick them up, drop both slides, fire them dry, then re-stage. The main problem is correcting malfunctions, but if one gun does malfunction, you can fire the other dry, set it down, then fix the malfunction. If they both malfunction, it'd be tough to avoid a stage DQ.

Maybe I'll see if my local club will let me try it this weekend -- whaddaya say, @LostVaquero?

2 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

Man, this is a great video. I was already excited for our monthly match coming up this weekend, but now I gotta figure out how to make it 3 more days without a mag change. Thank you for using the platform to spread the good word about WBAS.

I really want to shoot gunfighter at a monthly WB match. With the rule changes this year, I think we can do it safely by staging both pistols on a table with a loaded mag inserted and the slide locked back. To keep things simple, no reloads. Just pick them up, drop both slides, fire them dry, then re-stage. The main problem is correcting malfunctions, but if one gun does malfunction, you can fire the other dry, set it down, then fix the malfunction. If they both malfunction, it'd be tough to avoid a stage DQ.

Maybe I'll see if my local club will let me try it this weekend -- whaddaya say, @LostVaquero?

Always ask.  There is always an extra bay.

Hmmm gives me a thought, do a cowboy stage with two 1911s each with 5 in the mag.  Shoot them gun fighter style.

There was a stage this last weekend, 4 fixed sweep twice and two KDs.  Got both KDs gunfighter so was pretty stoked.

Nice overview of why WB is not SASS with a 1911B). I started to ding you for a tactical reload in the end, but brain said "wait":unsure:  had to dig back to 2017 to find it.....now it's gone;). Since going to seven rounds in mag I've found plenty of sweeps that work well with seven in rifle. Good Luck:)

Archived