SASS Wire Forum

Dillon's new 750

Perro Del Diablo

I like my 650.

I own 2 Hornady LNLs and am very satisfied. I'm familiar enough with the Dillons to know I wouldn't replace a functioning 550 or 650 with a 750.

However, if I was starting from scratch in moving up to a progressive press, I'd give the new Dillon serious consideration.

I've always like the manual indexing of the 550, when something doesn't go right like a cracked case or crushed case or whatever, nothing moves until YOU move it! It's plenty fast for my needs.

The thing I don't like about the 650 is the time it takes to change from small primers to large primers. I've been considering buying a 2nd 650 to have one set up for each. Now I think I'll get a 750. I  spoke with Dillon  and they said that they would eventually sell a stripped down version of the 750 missing the parts that are compatible with the 650. I think I'll wait for one them. 

They also said that In a couple of months they'll have an improved index block with the roller and over travel stop for the XL650. 

11 hours ago, Badlands Bob #61228 said:

What upgrades did Dillon make to warrant phasing out the 650?

Biggest change was to make the primer feed more like the 550 and SDB.  Makes changing from Large to Small primers or vice versa a whole lot easier.

Rye is the only guy I know whom can re-load ammo faster than he shoots it  :rolleyes:

Seriously, were I about to graduate from some form of lesser operating system, of course the 750 is the way to go.  Having two perfectly functioning 650s, I see no reason to "upgrade" as I see it as more of a lateral move.  No real advantage to the 750.

14 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I've always like the manual indexing of the 550, when something doesn't go right like a cracked case or crushed case or whatever, nothing moves until YOU move it! It's plenty fast for my needs.

Ditto on this, Never have like the auto-indexing machines besides, I can do 600 per hour on the 550 including a powder check every 100 rounds. After all this time though, I don't know why I do a powder check....it's never off.

4 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Biggest change was to make the primer feed more like the 550 and SDB.  Makes changing from Large to Small primers or vice versa a whole lot easier.

I solved that problem already.  I have one 650 set up for large pistol primers and the other set up for small pistol primers.  Works great but it takes up a lot of bench space.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Like the versatility and simplicity of the D/550.

Much cheaper caliber conversion too........

OLG

+ 100

No replacing the 650 with a 750 here.  Why spend money to replace a perfectly good machine with another machine that does the same thing?  Now when the grandkids are older and the Son has time to reload I might follow my dad's example.  Dad decided his bench grinder needed to be replaced so he bought himself a new one and gave me the old grinder.  

Archived