SASS Wire Forum

black powder cartridge

I use simple green and water  in a bottle and let them soak driving home from a match. Most matches are over two hours away so rinse and lay out to dry overnight before putting them in a tumbler. Seems to work fine for me. DC

On the road I rinse 3-4 times in hot water then dry in the sun.  (Hot water in RV park restrooms is free.)  At home I add vinegar to the final rinse water.  I suspect my brass dries quicker in the Desert SW sun than yours will in Canada.

I drop them in a canister with Dawn dish soap and water. When I get home I strain, drain, and wipe. Then into the tumbler...takes about an hour for the cases to look like new. Dawn dish soap has a mild abrasive that seems to get a lot of the residue off before I get home. 

At the end of the match I put 'em in a bottle of water that has some blue dawn or Murphy's Oil Soap or most anything I can fine in the laundry room.  I let them soak on the way home and rinse them off in the back yard.  Unless its overcast or damp, I'll place a towel on an old cookie sheet and spread the brass out.  Then I'll place an old microwave glass tray on top to act as a sort of magnifying glass to keep in the heat.  The brass dries out pretty quickly.  Then size and de-prime and then they go into the tumbler.

Put them in dishwashing detergent and water at the end of the match, then drain without rinsing and lay on newspaper to dry when Iget home. Later in the week I tumble in corncob till clean, not shiny cause stained brass reloads and shoots just as good as shiny. Besides that’s how I ID BP brass from smokeless brass.;)

Toss 'em in a bag.

Deprime when I get home, and toss 'em in the water from cleaning the revolvers.

Slosh 'em around a bit, then wet tumble with ceramic/water/dish soap.

Air or sun dry 'em.

--Dawg 

I used to soak in a water/soap solution immediately after shooting... now I just throw 'em in a bag and use the sonic cleaner at home.  Gotta be careful, That sonic cleaner solution will leech the tin from the copper...   I gotta dig up the picture... 

I just toss my BP dress in a open bucket till I get home. Within a day I deprime, rinse in hot water and in the wet tumbler with SS pins and dishwasher soap they go. Spread them out on a table overnight in a warm garage to dry.

Toss in a bag, and when I get home deprime and put in the wet tumbler with dawn lemi-shine, and stainless steel pins for a couple hours.  I run 2 batches, one for the rifle/pistol brass, and a separate one for the SG hulls.  If I run them together the pins can work their way in and make it a bear to get the pistol/rifle brass out of the SG hulls.

I use a jug of water with Dawn and Vinager added.  By the time I get home they are clean.  

Archived