SASS Wire Forum

Marlin 1895CB 45-70 prices

HIGH CARD, SASS #17242

I am looking at a Marlin 1895CB .45-70 for sale. It is JM stamped and made in 2004.  It is in really excellent condition, with orig. box and an unmounted marbles tang sight.  The price is $850.00.  But looking in the Blue Book price for a 98% shows $600.00.  But Gun Broker, for similar or even less better looking are more like $900 to $1000.00 for the real Marlins/JM, not those new Rem made one.  What do you all think is the better ball park price for those rifles?

850 is decent price for 98% Marlin 45-70 CB. 

I wouldnt take that for mine. If you want, just get it and be done with it. Searching around to save a few bucks is folly. Life is short, and time is worth more than money these days.

Frankly, I'm scared of these guns... I have an 1886 Winchester (Browning copy)... and think it's strong enough for regular .45-70 ammo.  I ain't so sure about these 336 framed 45-70s.   Yep, I'm probably overly cautious, but I've seen TWO of them explode... theoretically with std loads... :( 

35 minutes ago, Griff said:

Frankly, I'm scared of these guns... I have an 1886 Winchester (Browning copy)... and think it's strong enough for regular .45-70 ammo.  I ain't so sure about these 336 framed 45-70s.   Yep, I'm probably overly cautious, but I've seen TWO of them explode... theoretically with std loads... :( 

I'd like to know what(if any)mods were made to those 2 rifles.

Those 'std loads"-Were they factory or reloads? :huh:

Pretty wide 'brush' used, that we have no factual info on.......

Respectfully,

OLG

2 hours ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

The ~$680 that Blue Book shows reflects more what a dealer might pay for yours.  This isn't always the case and depends on the firearm and region.

Wrong.

BB shows approximate retail values.

Phantom

A pard of mine out here in Prescott, AZ has a nice one for sale, includes marbles peep sight mounted on the tang with both screws (tang has to be drilled and tapped for that rear sight) and a Lyman globe front sight with changeable apertures, he is also including dies, bullets and some loaded rounds. He is asking $950. for the package. It is a JM stamped gun next to new condition.

TB

3 hours ago, Griff said:

This is the same gun that they sell for the 450 marlin cartridge, and Buffalo Bore says their ammo is fine in the Marlin. Somebody did something wrong.

https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/buffalo-bore-rifle-ammunition-8e20-magnum-jacketed-hollow-point-jhp-300-2350-fps-rdbx-p-121300.html

https://www.chuckhawks.com/450Marlin.htm

That Marlin is a very strong action. Mine is a LTD II, sold by Davidson's. I've sure shot some really hot loads in mine. The only thing that it hurt was my shoulder! I think they are a very good gun. Not as glamorous as the 86 Winchester, but certainly strong.  I don't have a great deal of confidence in the Blue Book values... seems anything that I have for sale is listed too low, and anything that I want to buy is listed too high! ;) 

Snakebite

6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I'd like to know what(if any)mods were made to those 2 rifles.

Those 'std loads"-Were they factory or reloads? :huh:

Pretty wide 'brush' used, that we have no factual info on.......

Respectfully,

OLG

Shooter swore he only loaded to std velocity.  I only have 1 copy of photo.  It coulda been a blocked bore,  I'm just glad I was far away down the firing line. 

Archived