SASS Wire Forum

ATTENTION! LAV On Deck!

Subdeacon Joe

The carriers don’t have enough guns?

6 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Of course, ya gotta be cautious when you send one of them Navy pilots up with instructions to

destroy incoming boats......... and you are on the biggest boat..... :lol::lol:

..........Widder

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Current U.S.S. Wasp is. LHD-1 a multi purpose combat ship.

Marine Maj. Gen. David. W. Coffman, director of Expeditionary Warfare for the Chief of Naval Operations, while speaking at the Hudson Institute in November about the Future of Navy Expeditionary Warfare, said the Corps was looking at ways to make Navy and transport ships more lethal by integrating Marine Corps assets.

“Can you get creative on it? I think you could. I can tell you I watched a MEU commander strap an LAV to the front of a flight deck because it had better sensors than the ship did to find small boats,” Coffman said to audience members at the Hudson Institute in Washington Nov. 9.

I think the real reason is that marines see the swabbies shoot and say “Sh**, we can do that better.”

15F65BA3-1F37-4E89-8BC8-8F06E74577CE.jpeg

Maybe they might think about putting those “better sensors” on the boat.

8 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What are those things that look like a row of lost luggage in baggage claim?

These things?

71DF1A45-8C3E-486F-817B-6424101C4F3D.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Look like ospreys.

:lol:

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What are those things that look like a row of lost luggage in baggage claim?

Marine lunch boxes.

Most weapons systems  (Aegis, Phalanx etc....) for detection or destruction, on the USN cruisers and destroyers, are designed for threats at deck level or above. Those sneaky little Iranians are getting mines and rubber boats in at below deck level to do damage. So, this gives the USMC some additional target practice.

34 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Most weapons systems  (Aegis, Phalanx etc....) for detection or destruction, on the USN cruisers and destroyers, are designed for threats at deck level or above. Those sneaky little Iranians are getting mines and rubber boats in at below deck level to do damage. So, this gives the USMC some additional target practice.

Are you trying to say that the depression angle on most US Navy vessels does not allow for engaging close in surface targets?

:D

6 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Are you trying to say that the depression angle on most US Navy vessels does not allow for engaging close in surface targets?

:D

Nah. I'm just saying that when Lt Gen Berger was sworn in as the 38th USMC Commandant in July, his letter to the Corps contained some interesting inter-service cooperation opportunities he saw with the USN. So, I think the USN is agreeing to a degree, and letting the USMC have some of the responsibility for lower level "gunboat diplomacy" around the globe. YEAH cooperation! ;)

8 hours ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Kill em before they get that close. ;)

37 minutes ago, Capt. R. Hugh Kidnme said:

Nah. I'm just saying that when Lt Gen Berger was sworn in as the 38th USMC Commandant in July, his letter to the Corps contained some interesting inter-service cooperation opportunities he saw with the USN. So, I think the USN is agreeing to a degree, and letting the USMC have some of the responsibility for lower level "gunboat diplomacy" around the globe. YEAH cooperation! ;)

WWHD?

SandPebbles4.jpg

The point defence systems on US naval ships were designed to seek out and locate anti ship missiles and neutralize them at long range. Very few have optical targeting capabilities and even fewer are capably of engaging targets at extremely close ranges. They were never designed for the posturing that the Iranians have been doing lately. Most US Navy ships are relying on M60s and M2s for close in threat suppression.

The targeting systems the USMC has on the LAV were designed to accurately locate small targets amongst a lot of clutter. They have superior optical targeting capability and can effectively engage targets at point blank ranges if necessary.

Given the environment that we are currently operating in those LAVs are the perfect choice. They can accurately track approaching craft to point blank range and if necessary take out said threats with the twitch of a finger. They are also available now.

Archived