SASS Wire Forum

32 W.C.F. Rifle with BP

German Jim

For any one with an Uberti '73 long gun who uses REAL BLACK POWDER, I have a question.

When using lubed lead bullets, do you have any issues with the rifle getting hard to operate WITHOUT doing a quick clean between stages or do you need to give it a quick shot of moose milk or murphy's mix every stage or so?

Jim, the 32-20 has the same characteristics as 44-40 and 38-40, that being the thin case walls expand even at low pressure to seal the chamber, and the action stays very clean.  This is due to the cartridge being originally a BP design.  I have never needed to do any mid-match maintenance on my .44-40 nor my 32-20, using Goex BP.  And cleanup at home is typically one or two Q-tips for the action.  Only the bore gets dirty.  

3 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Only the bore gets dirty.  

Does that affect the accuracy any?  How much BP (ffg) do you put in your cartridges?  What bullet weight do you use?

I am using a 115gr bullet sized .313 from Desperado Bullets.  They say their blue lube is BP compatible but I don't like it so I relube them with my lube, basically beeswax and Crisco with a few odds and ends thrown in.  Powder is a heaping 1-cc dipper, approx. 15.5gr by weight, of Goex 3F.  Enough for a little compression when seating the bullet.  I have had no problems with accuracy at CAS matches.  My barrel is 20" (Uberti).  Usually it is pretty humid in these parts as well.  Longer barrel or dry weather, not sure how it would do.  Mike Venturino in one of his books mentioned fouling problems with 32-20.  Said the smaller bore diameter meant the fouling in the barrel took up a larger percentage of the bore space.  I think that was with an antique, though.  Bore was likely not pristine, and likely longer than 20".  I don't recall specifics.

7 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I am using a 115gr bullet sized .313 from Desperado Bullets.  They say their blue lube is BP compatible but I don't like it so I relube them with my lube, basically beeswax and Crisco with a few odds and ends thrown in.  Powder is a heaping 1-cc dipper, approx. 15.5gr by weight, of Goex 3F.  Enough for a little compression when seating the bullet.  I have had no problems with accuracy at CAS matches.  My barrel is 20" (Uberti).  Usually it is pretty humid in these parts as well.  Longer barrel or dry weather, not sure how it would do.  Mike Venturino in one of his books mentioned fouling problems with 32-20.  Said the smaller bore diameter meant the fouling in the barrel took up a larger percentage of the bore space.  I think that was with an antique, though.  Bore was likely not pristine, and likely longer than 20".  I don't recall specifics.

Great info!  Thanks much.

Archived