SASS Wire Forum

LOW!

Subdeacon Joe

Wish I knew how to post the picture of the 747 that did the drop for us when we had the Crown fire.

He cleared our house at 300' at most, and we felt the blast from the engines.

Crazy arse skillz, and so grateful for'em.

Respectfully,

OLG

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Wish I knew how to post the picture of the 747 that did the drop for us when we had the Crown fire.

He cleared our house at 300' at most, and we felt the blast from the engines.

Crazy arse skillz, and so grateful for'em.

Respectfully,

OLG

If it is on your computer you should be able to drag it into a post.  

Just like it says ↓↓↓↓↓↓ 

Drag files here to attach, or choose files... 

A P3 Orion retardant bomber over my house during a wildfire in August, 2000, and a couple others from that day & night.

When the plane would come in, all the firefighters dropped their tools, pulled out a camera, and started snapping away. I said, "You guys see this stuff all summer, why the pictures?" "If we get a good one, we send it into Wildland Firefighter magazine and if they publish it, we get paid."

The fire had burned close on one side, then across the mountain above my house, then down and close again on the other side. Scary, but it was the last piece of timber & grass left, so it became a relatively small fire front and just a matter of keeping it away from the buildings. I had at least fifty firefighters camped in my yard that night, a dozen pumpers & tankers with their volunteer crews, and a couple Skycrane helicopters parked in the field just below my house. They took extra care to see that my outhouse didn't go up. :lol:

housebombed7-26-00.jpg

fireoffdeck7-26-00.jpg

DSCF0120.JPG

5 hours ago, Catlow4697 said:

Fire Fighters are not paid enough for what the do 

Thankyou for your service 

Truth.
In 1949, a 20 year old Smokejumper by the name of James Harrison gave up that particular vocation as being much too dangerous, and became a Helena National Forest Fire Guard (lookout) instead. On the afternoon of August 5th, fifteen of his former jump mates were dropped a mile upgulch from a small 60 acre lightning fire high atop a rocky ridge at the mouth of the gulch near his station in the next canyon along the Missouri. As they approached, the beast saw them coming, raged across the gulch, and attacked. The blowup caught them as they tried to outrun it up a 76% rocky grade in the tall dry grass, and in five minutes, Harrison and ten of his former comrades were dead. Two more would die within hours from their horrific burns. :(

Mann Gulch, 1949, 13 wildland firefighters dead

Powder House Canyon, 1953, 15 wildland firefighters dead

Storm King Mountain, 1994, 14 wildland firefighters dead

Yarnell Hill, 2013, 19 wildland firefighters dead

PowderhouseCanyon.jpg

10 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

What am I not understanding here...? Why is the flap is in front of the tree?

Orion.jpg

Optical illusion. That’s the top of the tree. I captured this frame from a video he shared. He said this plane got too low and cleared the trees by just a couple of feet

Archived