SASS Wire Forum

UPDATE - 100 Year Old Hammered Double for CAS? Shorten the Barrels???

Kansas City Munny

i just picked up one as well - "riverside arms" suspected stevens - chicapee falls , had it cut from 30" to 20" as i waited and filled out the paperwork , seems to work fine ,  i like it , this thread and a friend inspired my purchase - i was not looking for one of these , 

went back - looks like rooster ron waynes with nearly the same roll marks save the name 

On 8/22/2019 at 12:29 PM, John Boy said:

100 Year Old Hammered Double for CAS? Shorten the Barrels???

Cut the barrels and you will have tubes that are CYLINDER ... you will be sorry

Howdy Again

A whole bunch of years ago I was shooting an old Stevens with 30" full choke barrels. The spotters used to say my pattern was about the size of a dinner plate on the knockdowns. Since then I have been shooting my Stevens side lock hammer double that I posted photos of earlier in this post. I did not cut down the barrels, that was done before I owned it.

Anyway, I find the 24" barrels to be very handy for moving around on a stage, and regarding cylinder bores, which my old hammer gun obviously has, I have never been sorry. It knocks down everything I point it at, and the cylinder bores are great on poppers.

I have often said  shotgun choke does not really matter in this game. You have to aim the shotgun, no different than the rifle.

Please don't tell me about pointing shotguns and not aiming them, I have been shooting Trap for over 20 years and know all about that.

This is not Trap, the targets are not moving and you don't have to lead them.

If you know where your shotgun shoots and you AIM it, you will knock down the target no matter what the choke is.

Quite a varied response to cutting barrels. Since I have the Stoeger and TOZ 66, I'll shoot the Central Arms Co. before I take any other action. I agree, the distances we shoot will not make much difference if the barrels are shortened. 

Step one will be to have it inspected. I'll see if the forcing cones need to be modified for modern 2-3/4" shells at the same time. Then shoot it. I may like it as is. If not, I'll seriously consider the barrel length.

Archived