SASS Wire Forum

Web Site Minimums

Creeker, SASS #43022

14 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Why does one have to 'sign-up' just to see it? :huh:

OLG

you dont have to sign in to see the club page. just have to be registered to create one.  For example https://actionshootingnetwork.com/ajrhttps://actionshootingnetwork.com/ajr is my clubs page. you can view the club page and info without being a member. to admin that club page or participate in the conversation you have to register.

21 hours ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Since stepping down from President of Eldorado; my family and I have been able to travel a little bit more and visit some clubs that we were unable to do before.

I say that to preface this, (and the thread on club addresses was the catalyst for my thread); a lot of club websites are sorely lacking in NEEDED content.

First and foremost...

WHEN do you shoot?

A calendar with dates and STARTING time (don't just tell me winter hours and summer hours - when EXACTLY is the sign up, safety meeting and start time).

If, as a first time shooter to your club; I need to a waiver - tell me.

I hate arriving and then waiting while someone tries to locate waivers for my entire family, (especially the clubs requiring a range waiver AND club waiver - just let me know.  I'll print it and bring it with me).

Yes, while I need an address or CLEAR directions to your club - I additionally need a general idea of where you are.  20 miles Northwest of town center is helpful information to assist in choosing where I'm looking for lodging.  It is incredibly frustrating to book a hotel and find out you stayed on the wrong side of the metroplex area because all you had to work with is the name of the nearest town adjacent to the range.

I need a phone number of someone willing to answer a call or return a message in a timely manner. 

Especially regarding monthly events; you shoot on Saturday - I get a wild hair on Friday to maybe skip out of work early and head to your match but need information - I cannot wait hours or days for a return email.

Cost of your shoot.

Some shoots are $10 for a monthly - some are $25. 

Not life changing money - but for three of us shooting; $30 or $75 is a tank of gas difference.

There are a 100 other things I would like to see on your website - but the above are the most important to me.

What things are important to you?

Come shoot at Wisconsin Old West Shootist ( WOWS ) by Connorsville, WI. All first time shooters at WOWS shoot free. That’s for regular monthly shoots, not annual State or large two day matches.  And they have a great Website posting events and match results .

4 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I'd ruther they didn't.  Cause most of them would list it as EST, CST, MST, or PST and leave it like that all year.  It'd make me twitchy. 

Alexa.  What time is it in Michigan City Indiana?  Glad I aske, an hours differences!

23 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Constructive criticism.  Does this site meet the requirements?  http://www.wolffsrowdyrangers.com/

I learned much useful information about your club from this site.  You have a club that probably has two posses at your summer matches.  If I showed up in poor weather you may have enough shooters for a match.  You also have enough members to provide the labor for a quality annual match.  There are ample nearby lodging and camping opportunities.  Links to the offsite lodging sites would be helpful.  Your range is wooded.  However, your stages look open and would be enjoyable for a black powder shooter.  You have dry camping with electricity and even showers available.  This is favorably for extended dry camping.  Since showers are available is potable water also available for campers?  Your website communicates most of the information I expect.

19 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

.....  Links to the offsite lodging sites would be helpful.  Your range is wooded...  Since showers are available is potable water also available for campers?  Your website communicates most of the information I expect.

Click on the "Bunkhouse" tab for offside lodging info.  Links were hard to keep updated.

Stages were wooded.  Trees were cleared for new shooting bays with concrete walls between the bays.  Allows for down range without shutting down the other bays.  Aerial view will be updated on the next Google Maps fly over.

Yes potable water is available.  For filling RV tank would be a bit interesting but for filling 5 gallon jugs, easy peasy.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Click on the "Bunkhouse" tab for offside lodging info.  Links were hard to keep updated.

Stages were wooded.  Trees were cleared for new shooting bays with concrete walls between the bays.  Allows for down range without shutting down the other bays.  Aerial view will be updated on the next Google Maps fly over.

Yes potable water is available.  For filling RV tank would be a bit interesting but for filling 5 gallon jugs, easy peasy.

I did find the bunkhouse tab.  I carry 5-gal jugs with me and would fill that way.  I suggest adding that information to your very useful website.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:43 AM, Rancho Roy said:

I went to a shoot once where the directions said nothing about crossing a river.....with no bridge! 

Sports cars need not apply....

We've got one of those here in southern California.  Used to shoot there a lot.  Never got stuck.  :)

Regardless of where else you post your club's information... you should also ensure that the SASS Hdqtrs staff updates their website also.  I thought I was going to a cowboy shoot yesterday... golly only 15 miles from where I was passin' thru on I-70... but doing some research into the club, start times, etc.,  I found that last year they changed from the 3rd Sat. to the 2nd Sat.   Frustrating that I found out AFTER driving an extra 100+ miles in the dark! to get close!

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Plant and poke?

Movement is not allowed with your shotgun if a live round is in the chamber or on the carrier. IE you cannot load your shotgun until you have one foot planted at the position you are going to shoot from.

Applies to several clubs in this part of the country.  It is briefed at every shooters meeting. And before you whine about how you will never shoot at a club that has that rule, It has been a range rule at Bad Lands Bar 3 for many years and has been in force for EVERY match held there including State and Regional matches. And it hasn't kept Back-at-Cha from selling out every year.

As to why that was before my time. All I know is that clubs around here are required to abide by this rule by the insurance company.

59 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Movement is not allowed with your shotgun if a live round is in the chamber or on the carrier. IE you cannot load your shotgun until you have one foot planted at the position you are going to shoot from.

Applies to several clubs in this part of the country.  It is briefed at every shooters meeting. And before you whine about how you will never shoot at a club that has that rule, It has been a range rule at Bad Lands Bar 3 for many years and has been in force for EVERY match held there including State and Regional matches. And it hasn't kept Back-at-Cha from selling out every year.

As to why that was before my time. All I know is that clubs around here are required to abide by this rule by the insurance company.

Hmm...    Don't know why it's a big deal.   I never move with a loaded gun.   I thought it was against the rules anyway.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:05 AM, Caboose said:

Come shoot at Wisconsin Old West Shootist ( WOWS ) by Connorsville, WI. All first time shooters at WOWS shoot free. That’s for regular monthly shoots, not annual State or large two day matches.  And they have a great Website posting events and match results .

i will see you next weekend , 

that said so much has been laid out in this thread - 

its great when full info shows up on the website , 

don't expect a last minute response to late requests , 

most of us know the folks that run these games are volunteers , expecting too much is why some places have issues trying to get volunteers , we all have time constraints in our lives [if you dont good on you] i applaud those that do the day in/out work and heartily thank you , i can excuse any little things as long as the shoots go on and we are welcome at your venue - i can do a bit of work to figure it out if need be , 

dont get me wrong - good advertising has its guidelines - those that promote a shoot should do their best to get the info out - you get a better response and less complaints , but , ive yet to go to a shoot i did not enjoy and its thanks to all those folks that work so hard to put them on , 

3 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Hmm...    Don't know why it's a big deal.   I never move with a loaded gun.   I thought it was against the rules anyway.

SASS rules allow movement with a SXS with live rounds in the chamber if the action is open. Also allows a round on the carrier of an 87 or 97 if the action is open.  Plant and Poke clubs do not.

Archived