SASS Wire Forum

Web Site Minimums

Creeker, SASS #43022

Since stepping down from President of Eldorado; my family and I have been able to travel a little bit more and visit some clubs that we were unable to do before.

I say that to preface this, (and the thread on club addresses was the catalyst for my thread); a lot of club websites are sorely lacking in NEEDED content.

First and foremost...

WHEN do you shoot?

A calendar with dates and STARTING time (don't just tell me winter hours and summer hours - when EXACTLY is the sign up, safety meeting and start time).

If, as a first time shooter to your club; I need to a waiver - tell me.

I hate arriving and then waiting while someone tries to locate waivers for my entire family, (especially the clubs requiring a range waiver AND club waiver - just let me know.  I'll print it and bring it with me).

Yes, while I need an address or CLEAR directions to your club - I additionally need a general idea of where you are.  20 miles Northwest of town center is helpful information to assist in choosing where I'm looking for lodging.  It is incredibly frustrating to book a hotel and find out you stayed on the wrong side of the metroplex area because all you had to work with is the name of the nearest town adjacent to the range.

I need a phone number of someone willing to answer a call or return a message in a timely manner. 

Especially regarding monthly events; you shoot on Saturday - I get a wild hair on Friday to maybe skip out of work early and head to your match but need information - I cannot wait hours or days for a return email.

Cost of your shoot.

Some shoots are $10 for a monthly - some are $25. 

Not life changing money - but for three of us shooting; $30 or $75 is a tank of gas difference.

There are a 100 other things I would like to see on your website - but the above are the most important to me.

What things are important to you?

I agree with pretty much all you wrote, but I definitely want an email address for someone who's going to answer....I don't just up and go someplace new on the spur of the moment, if I'm interested I will contact a club ahead of time but ONLY if there's an email...without that I won't be going period.  Both phone and email address should be a given.

Cost is very important, let me know how much money I need to bring, I don't carry a lot of extra cash with me.  If you break for lunch partway through the shoot, and have food available for purchase, a general idea of how much that costs is helpful as well.

The only other thing I can think of is if there's some place folks need to stop and register before heading to the range, say so, and give a description of where (i.e. range clubhouse).  Some clubs have their own little registration area, some clubs you have to pay and make sure the waivers are signed at the range office/clubhouse/other building, some just do it on the range.  Let me know so I'm not wandering around all over trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go first....

7 minutes ago, Calico Mary said:

I agree with pretty much all you wrote, but I definitely want an email address for someone who's going to answer....I don't just up and go someplace new on the spur of the moment, if I'm interested I will contact a club ahead of time but ONLY if there's an email...without that I won't be going period.  Both phone and email address should be a given.

Cost is very important, let me know how much money I need to bring, I don't carry a lot of extra cash with me.  If you break for lunch partway through the shoot, and have food available for purchase, a general idea of how much that costs is helpful as well.

The only other thing I can think of is if there's some place folks need to stop and register before heading to the range, say so, and give a description of where (i.e. range clubhouse).  Some clubs have their own little registration area, some clubs you have to pay and make sure the waivers are signed at the range office/clubhouse/other building, some just do it on the range.  Let me know so I'm not wandering around all over trying to figure out where I'm supposed to go first....

I've never had a problem with people telling me where to go.... it's just where they tell me to go I have a problem with.

For local matches in the Desert Southwest: is drinking water available on range?

Unexpected local requirements like "stop at the range house an pay $6 fee before proceeding to CAS match."

Is dry camping on range permitted?  Useful for out-of-town guests who travel with a rolling bunkhouse.

Pictures of the stages.  Ranges with excellent props are interesting.  Those who just shoot off of hay bales and tables are not as interesting.

Any rules exceeding those published in SASS handbooks like "please don't show up with conversion cylinders" or "plant and poke only with your shotgun."

Scores from previous matches.  Some clubs have too few shooters.   I don't want to visit dying clubs.

A link to the host range's website.  Some ranges offer shooting activities that might also interest a CAS participant.  Locally the ranges I visit have varied clay shooting opportunities.  Some may want to bring their trap, skeet or sporting clays shotguns for additional shooting.

2 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

Any rules exceeding those published in SASS handbooks like "please don't show up with conversion cylinders"...

That's happened??

For the better attended shoots (probably 2+ day events), I'd like to see what side matches are offered so I don't have to pack up an extra dozen guns & ammo "just in case".

If your club has rules that differ from SASS rules, the website is a great place to publish that info.

Is there some other place where cancellations are announced, such as a Facebook page?  Post a link.

7 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

That's happened??

For the better attended shoots (probably 2+ day events), I'd like to see what side matches are offered so I don't have to pack up an extra dozen guns & ammo "just in case".

Yes, and I respect the local club's right to make additional rules and thank them for stating those on their website.  Just please don't blindside any visitors.

This is not my requirement but I've heard people in the past complain VERY loudly that, "If I'd known it was gonna be that kind of match I'd have saved my money."

Give a hint to what type of match you put on.  Is it big, close and fast?  Is it a bullseye match wearing cowboy clothes?  Do you shoot old time SASS type stages with lots of additional "flavor" thrown in that is to be performed on the clock?  That type of info is very useful to potential customers.

May I suggest Actionshootingnetwork.com for your club page.  It is easy to update and upload match results, all you have to do is log in. I have tried to make it easy for anyone that can browse a web page to update their club page. Currently we have 703 registered pards and 47 clubs. Check it out and contact me if you have any questions.

13 minutes ago, Moog said:

May I suggest Actionshootingnetwork.com for your club page.  It is easy to update and upload match results, all you have to do is log in. I have tried to make it easy for anyone that can browse a web page to update their club page. Currently we have 703 registered pards and 47 clubs. Check it out and contact me if you have any questions.

Why does one have to 'sign-up' just to see it? :huh:

OLG

Everything ya said I can agree with. I went to a match that I'd never been to before. The club that hosted it was easy enough to find by the address given but when I got there, there were roads going in multiple directions. I finally got to the clubhouse after turning around on a couple dead ends. Waited there for nearly 30 minutes by myself. Another shooter finally showed up. He said I guess it got canceled and we both left. I emailed the address that was given on the web page and got a reply the next day. They have a cowboy town built in the woods and they were all there. I needed to follow what looked like a maintenance trail down the backside of the range next to the club house. Woulda been pretty useful to know that beforehand. Cancellations would be handy to have access to also. 

7 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Everything ya said I can agree with. I went to a match that I'd never been to before. The club that hosted it was easy enough to find by the address given but when I got there, there were roads going in multiple directions. I finally got to the clubhouse after turning around on a couple dead ends. Waited there for nearly 30 minutes by myself. Another shooter finally showed up. He said I guess it got canceled and we both left. I emailed the address that was given on the web page and got a reply the next day. They have a cowboy town built in the woods and they were all there. I needed to follow what looked like a maintenance trail down the backside of the range next to the club house. Woulda been pretty useful to know that beforehand. Cancellations would be handy to have access to also. 

Instead of a rough, hand-drawn squiggly line going by a cartoon tree, a big rock, and a barn that's not there anymore, it's easier to capture a screen shot off Google Earth, maybe map the roads in a different color with GE's "Add Path" tool, circle the range, and post it.

23 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Well, as Yogi Berra said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."  :)

I'd like to know how many stages are being shot gotta bring enough ammo.  How about some hotels / rv campgrounds in the area?

And why are there forks in the road but no spoons or knives?

And what timeframe does everyone consider as "current"?

obviously the next-match info has to be "weekly" and cancellation notice should be "immediately"

but what about general or overview club information and Cowboy shooting sport and match descriptions?

In this day of the Internet, when you see content that is three, four, and five years old, the club looks like they are dying, or at a minmum "un-exciting".  I've seen club group photos, where everyone in the photo has moved along, and some videos or match scores from 2012.

the Internet is a powerful tool, and we should use it well, or we should move to the thread about a dying sport.

i would think an enterprising web designer could design and manage dozens of clubs with common data templates, and reasonable prices.

1 hour ago, T-Square said:

i would think an enterprising web designer could design and manage dozens of clubs with common data templates, and reasonable prices.

Let me know when you find one. 

JMNSHO but judging a club by its website is akin to judging a book by its cover.

32 minutes ago, Matthew Duncan said:

Constructive criticism.  Does this site meet the requirements?  http://www.wolffsrowdyrangers.com/

Many clubs should use your site as an example of how it should be done.;)

May I ask, why no scores have been posted since April? :huh:

OLG

1 hour ago, T-Square said:

1 minute ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Let me know when you find one. 

JMNSHO but judging a club by its website is akin to judging a book by its cover.

I would think the clubs themselves would have someone that might be willing to do it for free if asked.

I took the Green River Gunslingers on a couple months back. It's still a work in progress, but an hour here and there is no problem and pretty simple. https://greenrivergunslingers.com

I know a few others around have decent sites and believe members handle it at no charge.

4 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I would think the clubs themselves would have someone that might be willing to do it for free if asked.

I took the Green River Gunslingers on a couple months back. It's still a work in progress, but an hour here and there is no problem and pretty simple. https://greenrivergunslingers.com

I know a few others around have decent sites and believe members handle it at no charge.

Nicely done!

Why ain't you in the pictures-:P

OLG

24 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Nicely done!

Why ain't you in the pictures-:P

OLG

Thanks.

1. It's a work in progress. I have all the old images and used those as myself and the other folks take new pictures/videos.

2. It ain't about me, whatever's best for the club and my ugly mug ain't gonna help nothing. :lol:

10 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Thanks.

1. It's a work in progress. I have all the old images and used those as myself and the other folks take new pictures/videos.

2. It ain't about me, whatever's best for the club and my ugly mug ain't gonna help nothing. :lol:

OR-You'd scare folks of.....................:lol:

OLG

From the other side of the creek, don't call, or email the day of the match expecting a response , our range has no cell service and I'm on the road by 8. Don't tell me your coming and can you get a guncart, holsters and some ammo and maybe a gun or two and then don't show up or notify me. Just because a club has few members doesn't necessarily mean it's dying, it's just small or maybe growing. If you have questions CALL.

Honestly, I ain't puttin' my phone number on the interwebz.  No way, no how.  There's an email address. And I'll respond within 12 hours.  Sooner on the weekends.  I get enough crap and robo calls.  I'm not posting my number on a web page.

Doc

6 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Honestly, I ain't puttin' my phone number on the interwebz.  No way, no how.  There's an email address. And I'll respond within 12 hours.  Sooner on the weekends.  I get enough crap and robo calls.  I'm not posting my number on a web page.

Doc

One way to get around that is to post the phone # and email addresses as a picture rather than text. Web bots read the HTML text to glean email addresses and phone #s. To the best of my knowledge they cannot extract text from pictures.

One down side is that people cannot click on or copy and past the information.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

One way to get around that is to post the phone # and email addresses as a picture rather than text. Web bots read the HTML text to glean email addresses and phone #s. To the best of my knowledge they cannot extract text from pictures.

One down side is that people cannot click on or copy and past the information.

Still not going to happen.  I'm happy to pass out my phone number via email, but it's not going on a web site.

In addition to what type of content should be on a site, the site should be easily readable.  I have seen a few that could give a person seizures.  I like a nice clean appearance and easy to navigate.  

9 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Many clubs should use your site as an example of how it should be done.;)

May I ask, why no scores have been posted since April? :huh:

OLG

April, May and June scores are listed.  Click on the blue.

14 hours ago, Moog said:

I just signed up Firelands Peacemakers!! Thanks!

Archived