SASS Wire Forum

spotting scope problem

Bugler

Here in Billings we had a very severe hailstorm that wrecked many things, my Mercury Mountaineer had a leak in the rear hatch that I was not aware of.

A LOT of moisture poured over my spotting scope and leaked into the main body...

Anyone had a good remedy for drying this out so that it is useable again or is it now junk?

Randy

PS. I did leave it out all day in the sun, but the moisture has not totally evaporated.

You need to remove the eye piece so that the interior is open to the air.

You can seal it in a bag with dessicant and allow the dessicant to adsorb the moisture. Alternatatively you can use dry rice. Either way be sure none makes its way into the scope.

You can place it in an oven heated to 120-150 degrees for a few hours.  Note that exposure to heat could cause damage to the scope. But at this point you don't have too much to loose.

Real trick is purging the scope once you get the moisture out so that it doesn't fog up inside. Last one I did we put a hose inside connected to a nitrogen bottle and let it flow into the scope. After an hour we pulled out the hose and screwed the eyepiece back onto the scope body.

Howdy,

The civilian marksmanship folks use scopes a lot.

You might check on some of their websites about scope repair.

Some makers will help you too.

You don't say who made it.

I searched spotting scope repair and found a LOT.

Even ideas about drying out scopes. Good Luck pard.

Best

CR

3 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

How old is it and/or who made it? 

Warranty? 

THIS!

You have a damaged seal, and it should be returned to the factory for repair.

After this-Store it in a Pelican container, as they are water proof.

OLG

To answer several responders questions:

The spotting scope I mentioned is an Acc-Spot 60mm objective lens with an angled 20x eye piece. This was imported by Accuracy International, Champions Choice, and Champion Shooter Supply. My daughters bought this for me when I was doing a lot of small bore and NRA Service Rifle Matches. Accu-Spot is no longer in business and warranty was done in 1990, so there is no recourse in that area.

Regarding the leak, most likely was due to the fact that the scope has been blown over, knocked over, tripped on a number of times.

If I can get it dried out it will be relegated to fair weather range time only....I have other scopes that will go to work in inclement weather conditions.

Thanks to all for your help!! I will keep you posted as to the final outcome.

Bugler

Use the rice trick. It has helped me with many things including my cheap Russian 20x spotting scope. That thing doesn’t have great optics but you could use it as a billy club and not break the glass. ;)

I am leaving it on the dash of my Mercury Mountaineer so that it gets a good gentle sun heating, will also try the old rice trick and keep you all informed!

Bugler

54 minutes ago, Bugler said:

I am leaving it on the dash of my Mercury Mountaineer so that it gets a good gentle sun heating, will also try the old rice trick and keep you all informed!

Bugler

I would not do such, as the car's insides will be like a humidor.

Can you remove the eye-piece? Might help with the 'dry-out'.

I couldn't even GOOGLE find this scope.

I would now go to the rice trick......

OLG

Final outcome:
I left the spotting scope on the dash of my Mountaineer all day and the moisture was all evaporated by the sun.....

The scope will be relegated to fair weather use from now on.....

Thanks everyone for your help!!

Bugler

Archived