SASS Wire Forum

Value question

Forty  Rod SASS 3935

Yep, Amazon around 30 to 40 used. 

This is from a reviewer on the site:

"I grew up using my father's copy and recently bought one for myself. This edition came out before the industry drastically downgraded their loads. Plus, this edition includes plenty of cast bullet (boolits) rifle loads using Unique powder!
We cheapskates love Unique powder. It may be akin to exploding burning dirt, but it gets the job done."

8 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I found some used ones on Amazon that run $30 - $40.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0912412003/ref=mw_dp_olp?ie=UTF8&condition=all

You should have started with page 2

That last one must be printed on gold leaf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0912412003/ref=olp_page_2?ie=UTF8&f_all=true&startIndex=10

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You should have started with page 2

That last one must be printed on gold leaf.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0912412003/ref=olp_page_2?ie=UTF8&f_all=true&startIndex=10

I wasn’t looking for the expensive ones. ;)

36 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Can you tell me what that is in stupid old kerosene-powered computer language?

A computer programmer wrote some code that decides what something is worth. Usually the code does a pretty good job of figuring out fair market value but every so often it doesn't.

Usually this happens to items that are no longer made or that are out of print.  I once tried to buy my wife a CD to replace one that got damaged. Cheapest one I found was north of $200.00 for a CD in unknown condition. Needless to say she still doesn't have a replacement which is sad because I really liked the guys music.  Did a search today and I found a LNIB copy on vinyl for about $16.00. Too bad I no longer have a record player

10 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

What makes Lyman's Reloading Handbook 45th Edition worth so much more than other versions?

45th edition...Tump 45th President.  Both are worth more the their former.

I'm asking for  lady who runs a used book store in Prescott Valley.  She's asking because she got one in a trade in and found prices listed from $30.00 to over $400.00 I I I I got a look at this today. Last publication date on it is 1970 It's in sort of shabby shape.  I wouldn't give over maybe $15.00 for it if I wanted it for a novelty and it really isn't very novel, either.

Thanks.  I'll pass the word.

2 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I'm asking for  lady who runs a used book store in Prescott Valley.  She's asking because she got one in a trade in and found prices listed from $30.00 to over $400.00 I I I I got a look at this today. Last publication date on it is 1970 It's in sort of shabby shape.  I wouldn't give over maybe $15.00 for it if I wanted it for a novelty and it really isn't very novel, either.

Thanks.  I'll pass the word.

One thing of note about the 45th edition is that it has a lot more cast bullet data in it than later editions.

12 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

One thing of note about the 45th edition is that it has a lot more cast bullet data in it than later editions.

Maybe that's why there are now a Cast Bullet Handbook and 50th edition manuals. My 49th edition hasn't any cast bullet loads. Perhaps it was all too much for one book? 

Seems like today all most shooting magazine articles are about is how fast to get every last bit of velocity out of a given cartridge. Suspect that is being reflected in reloading manuals as well. 

Almost every powder manufacturer except Hodgdon only gives the max charge for a given load with very little guidance on how much you can reduce those loads and still be safe.

Archived