SASS Wire Forum

Cap sucking?

Eyesa Horg

I send mine all out to Mike @Goonsgunworks.com 

They all come back 100% reliable .:D

No more suppository guns needed :huh:

PS.

Thanks Mike for removing all the Frustration out of shooting Cap Guns :)

Well, the weekend is here, I'm going to start trying all these suggestions. Thank you so much for all the input. They may still need to got to a smith, but I have a hard time spending as much as the gun cost to fix it.:D

I think the last statement is the most troubling .  .  .  . for those of us that do .  .  .  

So what yer saying is if you spend $200.00 - 250.00 on a $250.00 gun, and what you get back functions better and as reliably as a $1,000.00 + S.A., it's not worth it?   Which would give you a two-fer?

I'm not necessarily " not understanding",  but a tuner or gunsmith also imparts technique and knowledge and "the best way" or a "better way" than the kitchen table guy  (that read a book!).  .  .  we've done a few .   .  .  Getting back "tuned" vs "worn out" is a big difference as is "wearing to longevity"  vs "early demise". 

You apparently understand about " antique trucks " so maybe you understand the difference between a "rebuilt" engine and a "balanced and blueprinted" engine?  

You get what you pay for .  .  . no matter what the arena .  .  .    (just speaking up for "those that do this" .  .  .  post brain picking. .. .. .)  No harm intended .  .  .  

Good luck this weekend!

Mike

13 hours ago, 45 Dragoon said:

I think the last statement is the most troubling .  .  .  . for those of us that do .  .  .  

So what yer saying is if you spend $200.00 - 250.00 on a $250.00 gun, and what you get back functions better and as reliably as a $1,000.00 + S.A., it's not worth it?   Which would give you a two-fer?

I'm not necessarily " not understanding",  but a tuner or gunsmith also imparts technique and knowledge and "the best way" or a "better way" than the kitchen table guy  (that read a book!).  .  .  we've done a few .   .  .  Getting back "tuned" vs "worn out" is a big difference as is "wearing to longevity"  vs "early demise". 

You apparently understand about " antique trucks " so maybe you understand the difference between a "rebuilt" engine and a "balanced and blueprinted" engine?  

You get what you pay for .  .  . no matter what the arena .  .  .    (just speaking up for "those that do this" .  .  .  post brain picking. .. .. .)  No harm intended .  .  .  

Good luck this weekend!

Mike

You are absolutely right 45. I'm just one those that likes to do it myself if possible. And I know ----then send it to someone to fix it right! No offense taken.

I also understand the desire and satisfaction of doing it yourself.  I did however, loose track of the number of times gun came into the shop and after removing ALL the screws, I just shook it over the trash can and replaced EVERYTHING that fell out.  Then started from scratch.  :ph34r:

Well, I got one done and it came out great in my humble opinion. Used the 5/64 drill bit and kept the factory end showing. The pix don't do it much justice! It pops caps, we'll see how well they work this weekend. The pin fit tight so I used Std & Bearing mount to keep it in. Looks like good factory work, no file marks or anything. Let's hope I can do as well on the second. Not bad for a Jorgenson clamp and cordless drill.:P

IMG_20190818_154531.jpg

IMG_20190818_154544.jpg

32 minutes ago, Lead Monger said:

If you had a vise clamped to your kitchen table and a Dremal tool you’d be all set. :D I really like that color steel. Must be beautiful revolvers.

They are just color case finish ! Facory Cabela's, but old by the looks of the boxes. They had never been shot B4 I got them a few weeks ago.Did use a dremel with a well worn cut-off wheel to widen and deepen the notch in the hammer. the wheel was worn to about 5/8 diameter so it didn't make a groove half way down the hammer. I took a couple more pix from behind the hammer. My cheapo cell phone camera apparently doesn't like LED overhead lights.

Here's a couple more pix from behind the hammer. Both guns are now done. The hole didn't come out as tight as the first, so may need to pull and use JB weld instead of stud mount. Gonna let it dry overnight and put some pressure on it in the AM. With the dremel wheel more worn the hammer slot came out even better. A little Oxpho-Blue and they look nice. I must say it was a bit un-nerveing compared to just sending them out to someone, but I'm glad I tried it! We'll see Friday on the Plainsman match if they work. Heading out to the New Hampshire State Championship with the wife for the weekend! Yee Haw !

IMG_20190818_174246.jpg

IMG_20190818_174317.jpg

Those pins look like they will work just fine. Have you checked that the bolt fits into all the cylinder slots on both revolvers. Pietta bolts are often fat and will not fit into the slot very well. This will mess up the edges of the slots and may allow the cylinder to over rotate when run at speed. If the hand is a little long and you run them with authority it is easy to tear up the slot also.

On 8/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, 45 Dragoon said:

Eyesa, they look fine.  Here's a tip though, the ones in Tyrel's guns were thinned to fit the notch in the hammer. You need to keep as much of the hammer face as possible for the best reliability.

Just trying to help .  .  .  

Mike

45-- I widened the slot instead but just enough to get clearance. So far so good all caps pop on first try. Haven't tried them loaded yet.--This Friday!!

On 8/18/2019 at 7:51 PM, Lead Monger said:

Those pins look like they will work just fine. Have you checked that the bolt fits into all the cylinder slots on both revolvers. Pietta bolts are often fat and will not fit into the slot very well. This will mess up the edges of the slots and may allow the cylinder to over rotate when run at speed. If the hand is a little long and you run them with authority it is easy to tear up the slot also.

On one of them I'm getting a slight hit on the lead in side of the slot. That's my next adventure to fix. I'd also like to do the Ruger plunger thing on the hand as well I think. We'll see how they run Friday.

On 8/18/2019 at 7:54 PM, 45 Dragoon said:

Double tap I couldn't remove !

You're so right SD, sometimes I hesitate to post to save embarrassment. The good folks here have always been so helpful and informative. I check the posts almost every day just to see what someone has to offer or suggest. It's amazing how much I've learned here in my 7 years of SASS. Now if I could just get a Clean Shoot. :P

Does this mean you are not a 'Cap Sucking Horg' any longer?

On 8/20/2019 at 7:54 AM, Eyesa Horg said:

Now if I could just get a Clean Shoot. :P

That little bump at the end of the barrel is your friend.  ;)

On 8/22/2019 at 10:29 AM, Dead_Head said:

Does this mean you are not a 'Cap Sucking Horg' any longer?

:D That would be correct Dead Head:D, Was great shooting with 'ya this weekend. See you soon.

Eyesa

As Dead Head alluded, my pistols ran perfect this weekend. NO more cap sucking! Thanks again Pards for your help with installing the cap rakes/pins.

Archived