SASS Wire Forum

Source for hollow based bullets

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Anyone out there know of anybody making .38 caliber round nose hollow base bullets?  These are very useful in .38 Short and Long Colt cartridges, for which some guns have the smaller .357 bore and others have the larger .375 bore.   Yes, I know about the Buffalo Arms bullets, but they are 5 times more expensive than similar solid base bullets sold by others.    I am not interested in wadcutters.  I really don't want to have to cast my own.

6 hours ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com

They have a number of hollowbase bullets.  In .38 there is a 105gr RN and a 148gr wadcutter.  They are all coated.

Called them.   The fellow I talked to was very nice, but he felt that given the way they make their specific hollow base .38 that it would not expand to fill out the larger bores of older .38 Long Colts.    Oh well.

I had some of those 105gr hollow base Bear Creek bullets that I got as give-away samples at a state match.  I decided to try them when I bought a '61 Navy with Kirst conversion but with a .375 bore.  Loaded up some with Clays and shot in two matches.  Had no misses, but load was way too light for my taste.  Pop pop pop.  Next 2 matches shot them with my regular .38 ammo, a 125gr bullet mid-range load.  No misses.  I'm not going to worry about filling the bore, at least not for CAS use with the closer targets these days.

Archived