SASS Wire Forum

Can someone tell me about

I said I would try to get a marker for my adopted father’s grave Ernest Akeson Fisher. I found a woman in the NH VA, her name was Fisher, lovely person, glad to help a Fisher. She sent me to Massachusetts where they sent me a document. In WW 2 he served with 49 Field Hospital, Atterbury, Indiana.  

Does anybody know know anything about it?

43 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I said I would try to get a marker for my adopted father’s grave Ernest Akeson Fisher. I found a woman in the NH VA, her name was Fisher, lovely person, glad to help a Fisher. She sent me to Massachusetts where they sent me a document. In WW 2 he served with 49 Field Hospital, Atterbury, Indiana.  

Does anybody know know anything about it?

Mo:

The funeral home that buried both of my folks made the arrangements for the marker; they are buried in the National Cemetary, and the plots and the marker were provided at no cost.   All I had to do was present their Honorable Discharge Certificates.  Where is Mr. Fisher buried?

LL

Camp Atterbury is active today. Guard and Army. Air National Guard runs their A10s down there too out of the Fort Wayne base. My BIL was there to train before Panama and Iraq. 

1 hour ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

Mo:

The funeral home that buried both of my folks made the arrangements for the marker; they are buried in the National Cemetary, and the plots and the marker were provided at no cost.   All I had to do was present their Honorable Discharge Certificates.  Where is Mr. Fisher buried?

LL

He is buried at Forest Hills in East Derry, NH. I got a document from Mass VA. Now I must find someone who will place the little marker. 

What does CDD mean?

25FDABF9-7D92-44F9-960F-D1DEFF27BCE1.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

He is buried at Forest Hills in East Derry, NH. I got a document from Mass VA. Now I must find someone who will place the little marker. 

What does CDD mean?

Certificate of Disability for Discharge.

As for the 49th Field Hospital:

http://www.indianamilitary.org/WakemanHospital/Units/49th Field Hospital/49th_field_hospital.htm

Since the 49th Field Hospital deployed, my guess is some disability or ailment caused him to be non-deployable, and he was given an honorable discharge.

Camp Atterbury is pretty much due South of Indianapolis. Like others have mentioned, it is an active post. The last time I was there prior to retirement, they were busy with construction.

1 minute ago, DocWard said:

Certificate of Disability for Discharge.

Camp Atterbury is pretty much due South of Indianapolis. Like others have mentioned, it is an active post. The last time I was there prior to retirement, they were busy with construction. As for the 49th Field Hospital:

http://www.indianamilitary.org/WakemanHospital/Units/49th Field Hospital/49th_field_hospital.htm

Since the 49th Field Hospital deployed, my guess is some disability or ailment caused him to be non-deployable, and he was given an honorable discharge.

He was discharged on his 33rd birthday, maybe that was enough?

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

He was discharged on his 33rd birthday, maybe that was enough?

Doubtful. By 44 they were taking both older and younger men. His full records would from the Archives, if they exist  would indicate the reason.

9 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

What does CDD mean?

25FDABF9-7D92-44F9-960F-D1DEFF27BCE1.jpeg

Component force... AUS..What does this mean ?

Archived