SASS Wire Forum

Why Don't Gun Clubs Post Address????

Rancho Roy

I've shot at a whole bunch of gun clubs all over the country. I go to their web sites and they have "Turn By Turn" directions to the club, but only one or two had actual address listed.

Even when I register for a shoot, some forms have T by T directions but no darn address!!

Some folks might have entered this century and own a GPS.................... :-)

Why the prohibition?

And while I'm on a rant......

In the Chronicle, there are ads for matches and most times they dont even list the state they are in......a few didn't even list the city!

Part of it is GPS doesn't always get it right.    If you type my address into pretty much any direction device you won't find my farm.  Step by step instructions is the only way I can get people to it.  I shoot at one range occasionally that is the same.

I do recall that if you put the address for Founders Ranch into your GPS, it send you to the wrong place.   But if you put in the GPS coordinates, it sends you to the right place.    

When I went to EoT a few years ago, I somehow discovered a different address that DID send me to the right place.   I can't remember what it was or if they changed it on the website after I mentioned it to someone.

As stated above most navigation systems are severely lacking when it comes to rural addresses.

Another reason is that the range for many clubs does not have an actual mailing address assigned by the post office. All of the clubs mail usually goes to a PO box or to one of the clubs officers.

I do agree that GPS coordinates would be beneficial.

Our website has both the physical address and GPS coordinates and, also had a map at one time.  However, despite it all, there were still errors made by some GPS units.  It seems to be better these days.  At one time we had shooters reporting that their GPS directed them to cross a nearby lake....quite literally, DRIVE ACROSS THE LAKE.  :lol:

5 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

I've shot at a whole bunch of gun clubs all over the country. I go to their web sites and they have "Turn By Turn" directions to the club, but only one or two had actual address listed.

Even when I register for a shoot, some forms have T by T directions but no darn address!!

Some folks might have entered this century and own a GPS.................... :-)

Why the prohibition?

I agree 100%.  Closed clubs that don't want outsiders?

Wolff's Rowdy Ranger's post address, coordinates, map and picture of the entrance.  All are welcomed! 

http://www.wolffsrowdyrangers.com/Directions/

3 hours ago, evil dogooder said:

Part of it is GPS doesn't always get it right.    If you type my address into pretty much any direction device you won't find my farm.  Step by step instructions is the only way I can get people to it.  I shoot at one range occasionally that is the same.

same with our club in wv... if you punch in the address in a gps, you'll end up in town at someones house... good thing is they have a pool, bad thing is they wont let you shoot a match in their yard...lol...

Put in address for my club and it will put you almost two miles down the road. I have map and turn by turn directions on website. (Brown Township Regulators). 

Put in my home address and it puts your almost 4 miles from my house. Problem being there are 2 streets with same name about 3 miles apart. Some planning commission wasn't thinking back whenever.

20 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

Most of the places I shoot at, there is no cell service. So gps wouldn't be of much use

A stand alone GPS doesn't need cell service. It operates with signals straight from satellites. Only the GPS on a phone need cell service for map info.

1 minute ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

A stand alone GPS doesn't need cell service. It operates with signals straight from satellites. Only the GPS on a phone need cell service for map info.

Does anybody even have one of those anymore?

5 hours ago, Rancho Roy said:

And while I'm on a rant......

In the Chronicle, there are ads for matches and most times they dont even list the state they are in......a few didn't even list the city!

I've seen this complaint before. One would think the city and state are mandatory in a match ad. (EOT and WR not so much. ;) )

14 minutes ago, Sixgun Seamus said:

Put in my home address and it puts your almost 4 miles from my house. Problem being there are 2 streets with same name about 3 miles apart. Some planning commission wasn't thinking back whenever

mine's not so much. It does throw you about a half mile down and across the street, which I kinda like.

Keeps away pesky relative visitors that I didn't really wanna see anyway. :D

20 minutes ago, Flinthills Dawg said:

my club doesn't have a physical address, as we are in a pasture.

Yet it was easy to find per your website instructions 

26 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Maybe you could list the closest city and state, if you don't have an address.

It is listed on our website. there is also turn by turn directions. The directions are pretty straight forward, we just don't have a physical address.

I usually open Google Earth on my phone, search the club name and I get a good aerial photo map with roads labeled, GPS coordinates, and in some cases the street view.   But it doesn't ever talk to me or tell me it is "RECALCULATING". 

One of the clubs I shoot at is outside what used to be a town but is now an unincorporated rural community. The first post office was opened in 1894 but was closed as part of the post office down sizing several years ago. They still have their own zip code but when you google it it refers you to a small town about 15 miles away.  First time I went there we drove about 1/2 way before stopping to eat breakfast. That was when I found out town was not in my GPS data base. Fortunately I was able to reach the MD by phone and they helped me locate the range.  

Now I print out the turn by turn directions as well as make sure my GPS has the closest town in its database.

Interesting enough if you try to look up the address using google maps you will be directed to the wrong location by about 1/4 mile. Smart phone also takes you to the wrong location as well.

If I enter the address for another range into my smart phone it will direct you to a field 3 tenths of a mile from the range. Depending on which way you come from you will either pass by the range or never actually get close enough to see the range.  

Tried Onstar a few times and quickly figured out that unless desired location is in a major city and the street name is unique to forget about getting there. Last time I tried it to find a house they sent me to an address 5 miles away. My little Garmin GPS found it no problem.

9 hours ago, Griff said:

...sometimes we're required to be smarter than the devices we use.

Ruh-Roh :o I'm in trouble.

9 hours ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

And the kids say we are old and out of touch?

Well, I also communicate with Morse Code.  I'm not out of touch.  I just don't like what they like.  

Some of the stick figure maps are difficult to interpret.    Many of the roads have poor signage.  Some roads have impassable breaks meaning starting on one end will not lead to the other.

I would offer a club list it all

physical address (with comment regarding usage of navigation systems)

stick figure map

turn by turn list

gps

Archived