SASS Wire Forum

hypothetical police action

Alpo

Murder suspect is in THIS house.

Two cops are searching the house for the murder suspect.

Armed suspect gets the drop on cop #1, disarms him, and is holding cop at gunpoint.

Cop #2 comes around the corner, sees this, and shoots suspect in the head. DRT.

Would cop #2 get in trouble?

It turns out that murder suspect was actually a good guy.

Would cop #2 get in trouble now?

This, as you might imagine, was based on a television episode. In the show cop #2 walked up and stuck his gun against the suspect's head, which allowed martial artist suspect to disarm him, and now the suspect has two guns, pointing one at each cop.

This seems quite stupid to me, and having it explained to me years ago then if you have a gun you have no need to get in knife range (one of the more common stupid things characters do in TV and movies), it occurred to me that #2 shoulda popped the suspect.

I do realize why they did it that way. It would have been a very short episode if they killed the suspect in the first 10 minutes. This stupidity allowed them to stretch the show out over an hour.

Grand Jury would return a no true bill whereas the media would execute the officers promoting a story that the officers actually had the guy cornered, the suspect had his hands raised to surrender, then the officers killed him. There also was no weapon with the suspect and that he was a kind gentle person with no record and that the criminal record showing the suspect as having being arrested, convicted of prior murders by the police is a cover up. The media would show that the officers were armed with 50 cal machine guns when they over killed the suspect with intent to tear him to pieces. But, once the media would find out the suspect was a white male the story would be dropped because all these leaders of protest would not show up to get on film demanding the American people be disarmed and anyone belonging to the communist NRA party be deported to Siberia and executed so that America will be a Democratic Party only country. Thus, the end of America as we once knew it.

Scenario 1:

Cop #2 did what was necessary to protect a fellow officer. 

Scenario 2:

The people I know that are former police officers wouldn’t be dumb enough to let a dirtbag get that close to them in that situation. 

I would say COP#2 was perfectly in the right to shoot the suspect. If the suspect was a good guy and innocent why didn't he just give up? Hollywood really sucks sometimes!!:huh:

14 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

In the second scenario how is the suspect a good guy?  You just said he was holding a cop at gunpoint.  That makes him a bad guy to me.

Neither cop #1 nor #2 were uniformed.

In the show, when #2 said they were cops, the suspect immediately said she was too, and showed them her badge. She said she had no idea they were police. Just armed men following her.

That part actually made sense. If I'm in the house - my house or somebody else's, it don't matter - and I notice somebody in civilian clothing holding a gun and sneaking around trying to move very quietly, I can easily see myself pointing a gun at them. Possibly even shooting them.

I guess that would be one of the hazards of plain-clothes duty.

Well that does change things then doesn't it.  Someone wakes up and sees an armed person sneaking around in their house?  Methinks that armed person would probably get shot, not held at gunpoint.  It would be a shame, but my first thought in that situation would not be, 'hey this might be a cop.'  With my background my first instinct would be to shoot them.

31 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Neither cop #1 nor #2 were uniformed.

In the show, when #2 said they were cops, the suspect immediately said she was too, and showed them her badge. She said she had no idea they were police. Just armed men following her.

That part actually made sense. If I'm in the house - my house or somebody else's, it don't matter - and I notice somebody in civilian clothing holding a gun and sneaking around trying to move very quietly, I can easily see myself pointing a gun at them. Possibly even shooting them.

I guess that would be one of the hazards of plain-clothes duty.

What show was this? It seems vaguely familiar! NCIS Los Angeles maybe?? Kinsey?

The only thing that matters today according to the media are these criteria:

What color are the cops?

What color is the suspect?

:o

The police officers being uniformed or in plain clothes in this hypothetical exercise I think is what would make the difference. Of course, the "suspect" is still dead…

29 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

What show was this? It seems vaguely familiar! NCIS Los Angeles maybe?? Kinsey?

Castle. Hong Kong Hustle.

Dead guy in the park. Witness saw Chinese woman going through his pockets. Give description to sketch artist. Ryan and Esposito ask the manager of his apartment building if she had ever seen that woman in sketch. She said yeah, 10 minutes ago, going into the dead guy's apartment.

Still don't really understand how police officer from another country was allowed to carry a gun in New York City and work a crime. From what I've heard about New York City, they'da throwed her butt in jail for having the gun, and probably charged her with impersonating a police officer (you know, since in this country she wouldn't really be one). One of the many things they ignored in that series. :D

29 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Still don't really understand how police officer from another country was allowed to carry a gun in New York City and work a crime. From what I've heard about New York City, they'da throwed her butt in jail for having the gun, and probably charged her with impersonating a police officer (you know, since in this country she wouldn't really be one). One of the many things they ignored in that series. :D

Work'n with out of country LEO's is far more common than you think.........;)

OLG

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

In the second scenario how is the suspect a good guy?  You just said he was holding a cop at gunpoint.  That makes him a bad guy to me.

He had made some mistakes in the past but was really trying to get his life together and turn things around. Therefore, a good guy.  :D:D :D

11 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

He had made some mistakes in the past but was really trying to get his life together and turn things around. Therefore, a good guy.  :D:D :D

LOL.  Right!  I guess I'm old fashioned.  If there's a problem between one of the boys in blue and some unknown person I'm pretty much going to assume the cop is the good guy every time. 

Well, as hollywierd say, kill em all and sort it out later.

How in the world is he considered a good guy if he disarmed a cop and held him at gunpoint??!?!?!?  That automatically makes him a bad guy.

And to answer your original question, I'm shocked you're even asking it.  It's a BASIC principle of not just law enforcement, but self defense law EVERYWHERE, that "defense of another" is a legitimate application of force, including lethal force.

Not only would the cop be justified, HE WOULD BE AWARDED A MEDAL FOR HEROISM!

Archived