SASS Wire Forum

metal roof and fiberglass paint question

Trigger Mike

I looked at a house to consider buying this week.  It was built in 1917.  The disclosure says part of the roof was repaired in the 1980s so the roof is older than that.  It goes on to say that the roof is painted with fiberglass paint every 5 years.  It looks thick but I do not see any water stains in the ceiling.  Just how long will a metal roof last?  How effective is the fiberglass paint?  Does anyone have experience with these things?  The house looks fairly solid over all.

Not sure about what you are asking. But I would definitely make sure it doesn’t have asbestos siding covered up by some other form of siding

If you can, find out what kind of metal roof was installed initially.

If it's the good solid modern style metal roof, you're in better shape than if it's corrugated tin like we've used on sheds for years (the original "tin roof")

As far as fiberglass paint, I'll have to defer to those pards who are younger, smarter and better looking than me. 

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

If you can, find out what kind of metal roof was installed initially.

If it's the good solid modern style metal roof, you're in better shape than if it's corrugated tin like we've used on sheds for years (the original "tin roof")

As far as fiberglass paint, I'll have to defer to those pards who are younger, smarter and better looking than me. 

Linn,

Afraid you won't find many of them here in the SALOON:P

Just how long will a metal roof last?

Depends on the type of roof, the quality of the installation, the environment, and the maintenance performed.  I had a Galvalume standing seam roof (steel coated with mix of zinc & aluminum) installed on a coastal cottage 15 years ago.  The installation was per the manufacturer's recommendations, and the work was flawess.  Despite the salt air environment, there is not a mark or a bit of rust on the roof, and it has retained the full depth of the colored resin coating.  Maintenance consists of nothing more than spraying it with a hose a couple of times each year.  Great product. True lifetime guarantee.  See https://www.englertinc.com/ for more information.

On the other hand, galvanized corrugated roofing was popular on barns, sheds and even rural homes during the time periods you mentioned.  This product lacks any specialized coatings, and is much more likely to rust and degrade.

How effective is the fiberglass paint?  Does anyone have experience with these things?  The house looks fairly solid over all.

Not sure what you mean by "fiberglass paint".  There are specialized coatings and sealants for commercial corrugated roofing, but I haven't seen any described as "fiberglass" paint.  Most are elastomeric products.  (See https://www.metalguard.com/metal-roof-elastomeric-coating).  I would definately be asking a roofing contractor to look at this roof before buying the house.  Looks can be deceiving, and hidden corrosion can spell a very expensive repair.

LL

Corrugated roofing will last for years if it was quality roofing to begin with. Problem is without a detailed inspection you cannot tell them apart.  Biggest tell is the thickness of the metal. Almost all the corrugated tin you see today is 1/3rd the thickness of what was sold 50 years ago and has little if any galvanized coating.

15 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I looked at a house to consider buying this week.  It was built in 1917.  The disclosure says part of the roof was repaired in the 1980s so the roof is older than that.  It goes on to say that the roof is painted with fiberglass paint every 5 years.  It looks thick but I do not see any water stains in the ceiling.  Just how long will a metal roof last?  How effective is the fiberglass paint?  Does anyone have experience with these things?  The house looks fairly solid over all.

Quickest way to find out is step on it. You'll know pretty quick if that fiberglass paint is covering rust holes!

The fiberglass paint is just a sealant with fiberglass fibers to create a better seal in potential cracks, seams, and laps. It's probably the same stuff used on mobile home roofs. I'd walk the roof and feel for soft spots and look for cracks or kinks in the metal. Check around the vent pipes for potential leaks and make sure fasteners are tight. If the screws or nails are loose there may be some rotten structure under the metal. All my houses and buildings have metal roofs, no leaks or signs of corrosion. Also, look for signs of insects crawling in cracks and other critters that are seeking shelter in the attic.

8 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Linn,

Afraid you won't find many of them here in the SALOON:P

Why, good my Father, last I looked in the mirror I couldn't help but think ANYBODY would be younger, smarter and better looking than me!
(Who put that white bearded geezer in my looking glass anyway?)
:lol:

Archived