SASS Wire Forum

Talk me off the ledge

Shooting Bull

1 hour ago, Hells Comin said:

Exactly where is the lifter drilled.  The reason I ask -if it can be seen while the action is closed it's probably not legal.

It was done where the lever engages the lifter.  Lever covers the screw. Could not see until I took his lever out, but maybe if you were looking for it.  The same place you would put a spot weld to add material.      GW

14 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

It was done where the lever engages the lifter.  Lever covers the screw. Could not see until I took his lever out, but maybe if you were looking for it.  The same place you would put a spot weld to add material.      GW

A buddy of mine came up with a Slick idea of drilling thru the lifter arm and threading the hole. Then put a Allen screw from the inside to contact the lever. It WAS a great way to adjust the timing. Luckily I found out before WR main match. That it wasn't legal.  Shotgun Boogie welded over the top so u couldn't see the screw. Checked with  Deuce Stephens and all was good !

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Based on all the input here I think maybe some more expert diagnostics need to take place before I start removing metal from ANYTHING. 

If you go on the Cowboy& Indian store web he has the instructions for timing his KITS

50 minutes ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

If you go on the Cowboy& Indian store web he has the instructions for timing his KITS

You are right ... and I posted the link earlier in this thread ...

http://cowboysandindianstore.com/pdf/C-I short stroke instructions 4-30-14.pdf

and ... the best reason I found (the hard way) to review "those" instructions is because they instruct you to make sure the lever is not bent before you start making any other timing adjustments.  Take the side plate off ... close the lever ... and look at the alignment of the link pins. 

It is easy to get the lifter to clear the bolt tab by many different means but if the lever is not right before you start the pins of the links will not be in alignment w/ the gun is in battery. This will work but will not be as strong (opposing backward force) as having all three pins in alignment. Your headspace will not be right either. The part of the lever that holds the link pin must be perfectly vertical when the lever is closed. 

12 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I kinda wanna push you off the ledge... Doors that make me a bad person?

You're not a bad person, just misunderstood. :lol:

(And if Winter Range was any indication I'd just bounce when I hit the ground anyway. :D)

13 hours ago, Patagonia Pete said:

You are right ... and I posted the link earlier in this thread ...

http://cowboysandindianstore.com/pdf/C-I short stroke instructions 4-30-14.pdf

and ... the best reason I found (the hard way) to review "those" instructions is because they instruct you to make sure the lever is not bent before you start making any other timing adjustments.  Take the side plate off ... close the lever ... and look at the alignment of the link pins. 

It is easy to get the lifter to clear the bolt tab by many different means but if the lever is not right before you start the pins of the links will not be in alignment w/ the gun is in battery. This will work but will not be as strong (opposing backward force) as having all three pins in alignment. Your headspace will not be right either. The part of the lever that holds the link pin must be perfectly vertical when the lever is closed. 

But if you have a 4th gen Cowboy&Indian short stroke you don't need to ck if the lever is bent!

3 hours ago, Von Dutch, SASS # 7995 said:

But if you have a 4th gen Cowboy&Indian short stroke you don't need to ck if the lever is bent!

Yep ... true ... true ... 4th gen comes w/ one of their "hardened" levers. 

After seeing how easily I could keep bending mine I finally bought one of their hardened levers myself (it's either straight or it's broke!!). :lol:

I have one that just barely interferes when SLOWLY levered. When operating the lever more sharply the bolt clears perfectly...I see no reason to fix it to work slowly when that’s not how I’m using it. Maybe worth a look since you said your is running fine?

Archived