SASS Wire Forum

I Wanted A Jaguar

Texas Lizard

35 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

36088132_446924869103471_366634578938429440_n.jpg

Actually I never did that with my boy and he turned out fine.

29 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Actually I never did that with my boy and he turned out fine.

Likewise here with 3 girls and 2 boys. And I have grown grandsons the same. It isn't necessary.

My dad, with 5 boys, did a little bit of it, but very little. I think I got it mildly twice. Back then, I think that they thought they needed to. But the heart wasn't in it. I skated!

My ma did wield the wooden spoon now and again. We'd chuckle at her efforts but respectfully say ouch.

I wouldn’t buy a kid a new car even if I could afford it. If I had a son that did that it would be the last thing he ever got from me...besides a slap upside his head...and all the bills to pay from the authorities. 

I stand bloodied and bowed.

(I never did it to my son either)

59 minutes ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

If that kid knew anything at all about Lucas electrical systems he would not want a Jaguar.

Duffield

Yep.  "Lucas, the prince of darkness" as British electrical systems are known.  I have restored many Triumphs, and cussed Mr. Lucas many times in the process.

1 hour ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

If that kid knew anything at all about Lucas electrical systems he would not want a Jaguar.

Duffield

YESSIR!!!  Lucas invented the intermittent windshield wiper system, the automatic headlight dimmer, and the four way flasher system.... all by mistake!!!

I got the belt a few times, mostly I deserved it and it probably served the purpose well!!  

My son got it twice that I recall and he desperately needed it!!  Years later, I learned from another father just how effective my actions had been! My son, two of his boys, and a couple of other young'uns were sitting around a bonfire out in the country one night.  One of the other boys suggested that they all go to town and create some mischief.  Hatfield spoke up and said that if they did, I would likely kill every one of them!!  One of my friend's sons piped up and said, "Yeah!  He would!  And my dad will help him bury all of us!!"

That was the end of the thought of any mischief making!!

My mother and father gave me a car for my graduation in 1965..............his old 57 Chevy, four door, 6cyl. automatic. It wasn't the "cool" looking 57 but it was mine and I loved it!!

55 minutes ago, Marshal Hangtree said:

Yep.  "Lucas, the prince of darkness" as British electrical systems are known.  I have restored many Triumphs, and cussed Mr. Lucas many times in the process.

Lucas Electric - the reason that Englishmen drink their beer warm.

LL

My first car was the family hand me down - a 1960 Chrysler Desoto.

2131345696_ChryslerDesotoFrontView.jpg.2ae1b8a0ff1d222bb0a3ea1cd05ff149.jpg   1643984867_ChryslerDesotoRearView.jpg.da80dbf5f4b9d4827d14ceae20739463.jpg

I personally believe that to understand vehicle ownership, one should experience the lessons learned in maintaining said vehicle.

I learned everything about cars from that one vehicle and my dad (who previously worked with pit crews at race tracks in the early 50's) knew that and helped me greatly.

10 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

My first car was the family hand me down - a 1960 Chrysler Desoto.

2131345696_ChryslerDesotoFrontView.jpg.2ae1b8a0ff1d222bb0a3ea1cd05ff149.jpg   1643984867_ChryslerDesotoRearView.jpg.da80dbf5f4b9d4827d14ceae20739463.jpg

I personally believe that understand vehicle ownership, one should experience the lessons learned in maintaining said vehicle.

I learned everything about cars from that one vehicle and my dad (who previously worked with pit crews at race tracks in the early 50's) knew that and helped me greatly.

Pretty fancy!!!

My first was a 1959 English Ford Anglia.

Not so fancy

My first car was given to me, but it was a 1970's Chevrolet that my dad had grown frustrated with because it had a bad tendency to stall at intersections. He told me if I could fix it I could have it. I guess he figured either I would or he'd finally get rid of the both of us at the same time. :blink:

Howdy,

Dad should give the boy his Jaguar with the understanding the kid gets no

help repairing or maintaining it.  No more new or used cars after, either.

Its one of those 'be careful what you ask for' deals.

Young folks want what they want.  

A friend of mine gave his girl a nice car but she wanted a Jeep.

She banged up the free car. I never heard how that turned out.

I once saw a kid trade in a free economy car on one of those mercury cougars.

The cougar was in need of fixin but he hated the economy car.

Or tell the kid to get a job and buy what you want.

Lets go with that.

Best

CR

Lucas... the Prince of Darkness!  ^_^

Story goes they also built refrigerators... which is why the Brits drink warm beer.  :rolleyes:

But you knew that was coming!  ;)

Archived