SASS Wire Forum

Stoeger/Uberti 1873

Solomon Vaquero

It's made by Uberti.   Uberti didn't give those guns any less attention than the ones they built (continue to make) for Taylors or Cimarron or other importers.   

Stoeger is a wholly owned subsidiary of Benelli, which in turn is owned by Italian firearms manufacturer Beretta.  Stoeger is an importer of  firearms made by Uberti (and other European, Middle Eastern, and South American manufacturers),  Once the American company became a subsidiary of the massive Beretta Holding Group, they moved to Accokeek, Maryland from New Jersey (after being the largest retail firearms dealer in New York City starting about 1924).  Uberti firearms imported with the Stoeger Accokeek, MD, roll mark are warranted directly by Uberti.   All others fall under the warranty management of other importer companies.

Value?  All about condition, condition, condition, and you have not provided detailed pictures by which we can judge condition.  

Also, start by determining how old the gun is.  Check the Italian date code under the forearm to find out when it was made.  Then refer to a date code table.   Here's one:

https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/italian-date-codes-up-to-2017-14188.html

If I remember right, Stoeger quit being an importer for them about 2007, then started again in 2012 or so.

One with nothing done to it in the way of speed parts or tuning, with just honest wear, that gun may have a value of about $800-$1200.   Generally it takes lots of abuse to make one worth much less than that, because they are easy to repair.  

There really should not be much difference in price regardless of which company was the importer. 

Good luck, GJ

I own a 1873 20" oct 45 colt Stoeger Uberti rifle. I paid $1100 for mine but mine was like new condition. I also turned around and dumped $400 in parts in the rifle before i had a box of shells through it. My advice for reliability. Replace the hammer spring and the lever safety spring then replace the lever and lifter springs. All with tuned springs. this will reduce the force on the lever and smooth up the operation without getting into a short stroke kit and all the mods that go with it. 

I had a Stoeger branded '73, which I short stroked and eventually sold to a pard.  Still going strong.  As Joe said, condition is everything.  Plain blued, it should be worth less than a casehardened one and I would be at the lower end of the range Joe mentioned.

Archived