SASS Wire Forum

Did I stumble across a good deal, or should I run the other way

Chuckwagon McTaggart

1 hour ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Actually, everything is California is not required to be registered. There were many firearms purchased prior to the 1993? or so law banning person to person private sales. Everything now has to go through an FFL, but it was not always so, and there is no law saying that those prior firearms have to now be registered.

Correct Sir

And no law against possession of an unregistered firearm other than what the state calls an assault weapon. 

here is a question for you "guys in the know"

i have an iver johnson 38 top break with the ser# stamped into the trigger guard... the law states the serialized part of the gun is the actual firearm... so is the trigger guard a receiver/frame?

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

A trigger guard is a trigger guard. Some guns have the serial number in multiple locations...doesnt mean it has more than one receiver.

its the only number on the gun... nothing under the grips either

9 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

here is a question for you "guys in the know"

i have an iver johnson 38 top break with the ser# stamped into the trigger guard... the law states the serialized part of the gun is the actual firearm... so is the trigger guard a receiver/frame?

If it's an integral part of the "Frame"...then it's just a feature of the Frame...ya know...?

8 minutes ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

its the only number on the gun.

At the risk of getting in the barrel myowndangself, its still a trigger guard. All of my trap guns are serialized on the frame as well as the barrel. It doesnt make the barrel a receiver. 

7 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

At the risk of getting in the barrel myowndangself, its still a trigger guard. All of my trap guns are serialized on the frame as well as the barrel. It doesnt make the barrel a receiver. 

If the trigger guard is an integral part of the frame...it's considered nothing more then a feature of the frame...and don't get me started on Ruger Mark series of rimfire pistols.

Phantom

I bought an old top break revolver that was old enough to not require background check but they had it in their books so we we went ahead and did the paperwork.   The number they had it in their records was on trigger guard.   The real number was under the grips.  The grip frame and receiver was all one piece.  Oh well. ;)

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

If the trigger guard is an integral part of the frame...it's considered nothing more then a feature of the frame...and don't get me started on Ruger Mark series of rimfire pistols.

Phantom

Agree. 

And agree on the mk series also, just cause they can be a pain. I don't know anything about their serials. 

5 hours ago, Springfield Slim SASS #24733 said:

Actually, everything is California is not required to be registered. There were many firearms purchased prior to the 1993? or so law banning person to person private sales. Everything now has to go through an FFL, but it was not always so, and there is no law saying that those prior firearms have to now be registered.

You are correct Slim but I didn't state that firearms obtained before the new laws had to be registered.  

I left out "new gun" sales as part of my post.  

In 1993, handguns had their serial numbers recorded, long guns did not.  

In 2014, long gun serial numbers began to be recorded and are put into the same computer system with the handguns that LE can access.

This particular offering with no serial number would not be legal for sale in CA as it had the serial number removed during the refinishing process.  

Firearms currently being sold in CA that were manufactured without a serial number, built prior to 1968, still must be processed by a FFL and included in this system by whatever the CADOJ requires as a reference.

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

The trigger guard is not part of the frame, it's held in by two pins. 

IMG_20190814_144444.jpg

Right...but that revolver was made waaaaay before the S/N requirements for registration were even a thought. 

Kinda like using our current thoughts on morality to judge those from the distant past.

Phantom

12 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

This post is dying out too quick. I'm gonna stir the pot a bit and point out there is a difference in the national instacheck and "registering" a firearm in someones' name.

Im going shootin. Back after while!

Registering as it is known in California is entering the weapon into the state data base 
Nics is just that a background check on you. Currently it is illegal for the federal government to maintain a record of firearms and owners. Case law I believe

Jim; my post was in no way a criticism or your info, it's just that I personally keep running into people who think all guns in California have to be registered or they are illegal, and it just isn't true. They have seen too many movies, I think. Just trying to keep things straight.

2 hours ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

Registering as it is known in California is entering the weapon into the state data base 
Nics is just that a background check on you. Currently it is illegal for the federal government to maintain a record of firearms and owners. Case law I believe

That's what I said. Does California "register" the firearm with the same paperwork/background check?

11 minutes ago, El Hombre Sin Nombre said:

I wanted to stay out of this, but I just can't now. I am pretty far from a "lefty" and I will always refer to them as weapons. As will almost every person I know that has served. By broad stroking the term as such you are completely disrespecting those that have served.

I served.   Mine are firearms, guns, toys, etc......  I actually hear very few folks refer to their  firearms as 'weapons',

and many of them are veterans.

Rumor has it even ole Davy Crockett didn't call his a weapon.   He referred to it as Old Betsy.

Daniel Boone referred to his rifle as 'Tick-Licker'.

It must be a Cal thing.

..........Widder

42 minutes ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

Oh and one other point. 

Take a rifle or a shotgun and cut the barrel down below federal limits. Then see what they charge you with. 

Its not possession of an illegal firearm. Oh no it’s possession of an illegal weapon. 

So legally speaking firearms are weapons. Period. In your fantasy world you can call them anything you like but the police will interchange the words and so does the court. 

In your quoted text, they call it a firearm. And no, it's not a weapon unless used as such. 

Screenshot_20190814-184448_Chrome.jpg

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

You left out the part that Widder doesn't call his guns weapons and he served.

And I have no problem with that. He can call it whatever he wants. I respect him and his service enough that I am not about to correct him. And I would hope he would be respectful of my opinion and service enough not to correct me. And certainly not to say I'm falling into a lefty classification by doing so

6 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I served.   Mine are firearms, guns, toys, etc......  I actually hear very few folks refer to their  firearms as 'weapons',

and many of them are veterans.

Rumor has it even ole Davy Crockett didn't call his a weapon.   He referred to it as Old Betsy.

Daniel Boone referred to his rifle as 'Tick-Licker'.

It must be a Cal thing.

..........Widder

Me too. Mine are firearms also. I don't use a weapon to shoot targets. I use a weapon to defend myself. It may end up being a pistol, rifle, rock, or knife. But, (if you look up the definition of weapon) it aint a weapon until I use it to get the upper hand of another individual.

3 minutes ago, Tennessee williams said:

Me too. Mine are firearms also. I don't use a weapon to shoot targets. I use a weapon to defend myself. It may end up being a pistol, rifle, rock, or knife. But, (if you look up the definition of weapon) it aint a weapon until I use it to get the upper hand of another individual.

Well, whatever "Weapon" you ever use must be functional with one hand....... cause the other hand

will probably have a 'nanner split' in it...... :lol::lol:

NOW, is 'nanner split' a weapon if it gives you a belly ache?    Or is it just Ice Cream indigestion?

..........Widder

Capt. B.Burt,

Before you get into eating that pop corn, I got a serious question:

Are you gonna be at Mystery Dog this weekend?

Looks like the Widder-Slater road show is gonna travel down and give Hurricane Charlie, Ringer, Purly, etc....

more warm bodies to whoop up on... ;)

..........Widder

12 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Capt. B.Burt,

Before you get into eating that pop corn, I got a serious question:

Are you gonna be at Mystery Dog this weekend?

Looks like the Widder-Slater road show is gonna travel down and give Hurricane Charlie, Ringer, Purly, etc....

more warm bodies to whoop up on... ;)

..........Widder

This Saturday is the South River match which is only 20 minutes from my house. Mystery Dog is two hours, and that’s only if I drive 85 mph. Sharyn and I will be up there for Boomtown. Will you be there for that? If so let’s posse up, it’s been too long since we shot together.

4 hours ago, Tennessee williams said:

That's what I said. Does California "register" the firearm with the same paperwork/background check?

Nics and the state/federal (4473) paper work is the same but different. 

Nics and state paper work is done on a computer so basically yes California uses the same paper work to register a firearm. This same system also generates a 4473 form. 

Other states don’t give a damn about recording in a data base who bought what. The feds can’t record who bought what.  

4 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

This Saturday is the South River match which is only 20 minutes from my house. Mystery Dog is two hours, and that’s only if I drive 85 mph. Sharyn and I will be up there for Boomtown. Will you be there for that? If so let’s posse up, it’s been too long since we shot together.

I'll make the request.   Odds are, we both can be on the same posse with Hurricane Charlie and/or Purly.

See you in a couple weeks...... and don't forget to bring your 'A' game.   I'm gonna bring mine:

"A" miss

"A"  P

"A"  SG makeup

"A"  good time, etc............. 

That's my "A" game..........    :lol::lol:

..........Widder

I keep planning on bringing my A game and then forgetting and ending up with C or worse!

7 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I'll make the request.   Odds are, we both can be on the same posse with Hurricane Charlie and/or Purly.

See you in a couple weeks...... and don't forget to bring your 'A' game.   I'm gonna bring mine:

"A" miss

"A"  P

"A"  SG makeup

"A"  good time, etc............. 

That's my "A" game..........    :lol::lol:

..........Widder

Archived