SASS Wire Forum

reload charges

Raven Law Dog

Howdy y'all!  I've been shooting 45 LC reloads 230 gr rn with Unique min charge and Trail Boss min charge according to Lyman book. I just acquired 1000 rnds 200 gr rn lead and am wanting a much lighter/ softer target load to shoot. The other previous loads, even at minimum seem hot. Nobody in my posse shoots 200 gr bullets, so I'm hoping one a you cowboys can learn me sometun! Thanks,Y'all

A common solution is to buy Starline Cowboy Special brass that has a smaller internal volume and load lighter powder charges.  Those who shoot these can give you loads that work for them.  Cowboy Special cases cost about a quarter each.

Thank you sir, I appreciate the tip, however I have over 1000 once fired brass cases I need to utilize, being retired on a fixed income and getting into this sport has already just about broke the bank. Thanks again!

5.3 grains of Titegroup with 200 grain bullet is a load I'm presently testing.  10 rounds in pistol, little or no felt recoil.  All went bang with no squiips.  This Saturday using these load in my pistols for a match.

5.0 700x and a 180 gr / 200 gr with Federal primer works well and is a bit easier on the recoil as well.

The C45S "45cowboy" is a good alternative in revolvers, but does take some internal firearms modifications to work in the lever rifles.

This load is reliable and plenty accurate for CAS completion. :)

5.5 grains of Trailboss works for my wife. The lighter bullets will help more than reducing the load.

3 hours ago, Matthew Duncan said:

5.3 grains of Titegroup with 200 grain bullet is a load I'm presently testing.  10 rounds in pistol, little or no felt recoil.  All went bang with no squiips.  This Saturday using these load in my pistols for a match.

That's exactly what I used when I shot .44-40, works great for .44 or .45!

You can try going lower than 5.5 grains of Red Dot or Trail Boss with a 200 grain bullet, but what I found was there was a lot of blowback with the rifle.  I stick with 5.5 in the rifle.

For shooting the pistol, I used the Cowboy Specials with a 160 grain bullet and 3.8 to 4 grains of Red Dot.  It's a very easy load to handle.  The heavier loads beat me up too much.

1 hour ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Unique don't like 'min' chg. ;)

Try 6.0-6.5gn with that 200gn bullet.

You want a FIRM roll-crimp.

OLG

what he said!! :D

Archived