SASS Wire Forum

Bats in Our Belfry

Our dog Rose was prowling around our bedroom before bed tonight, which is unusual. Checking the bathroom then the closet. While watching her, I noticed what appeared to be a piece of dark fabric draped across one of the window blinds. Looking closer, I realized it was a bat. 

I  closed the doors, grabbed a towel and threw it over it, successfully trapping it on the floor. Bundled it up and released it outside.

If trapping it failed, my backup plan was the Glock and two full mags from the night stand. Coulda been a lot of drywall and a window to repair.... 

Things that make you go brrr...

I have had birds in the house but never bats. My wife would absolutely lose her mind if we ever had a bat in the house. 

Glad you were able to easily get rid of it. 

You might try installing a bat house on the exterior of your house and they may decide to move into it and not your house.

Most bats do not have rabies.  But most cases of human rabies are caused by bats.

CDC article:

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/bats/education/index.html

I’m glad the blanket worked!

Allie Mo, keep your kitties’s rabies vaccinations current.  We don’t vaccinate pets to protect them; we vaccinate pets to keep them from carrying rabies back to us!

I get bats occasionally in my basement.

I have a nice AirSoft rifle that can shoot some very effective pellets at approx 350 fps.

Funny thing about bats, they have a low tolerance to pain..... :P

..........Widder

In the daylight I see there's clean up to do from a ladder. The little bugger apparently had numerous impacts with the wall (batsplat) up near the ceiling. I imagine he was pretty disoriented, allowing me capture him relatively easily.

Hey Widder, didn't think about my pellet rifle. If it happens again, it may be out of reach of capture in some rooms.

A place I used to live had a colony of bats living in the big poles of a basketball backboard. We’d set up lawn chairs and watch hundreds them stream out at sunset. Very cool. They were great bug hunters.

Archived