SASS Wire Forum

IAC 97 Magazine Tube

Pedernales Drifter

To replace a dented tube?   I'd take it to a shotgun smith and have him raise the dents.

Because, the IAC (and Norinco) 97s don't have a good current supply of parts available.   A few here and there may be laying around.  Have you called Outlaw Gambler and asked?

But reasonably priced?  That may be a real hard point, and why the first recommendation was made.

Good luck, GJ

The tube needs to be replaced because the action arm (whatever it is called) stop has broken loose from the tube.  3 spot welds (I think) hold it on.  This is the 4th one I've seen with this problem.  This one is too beat up to fix.  Thanks for the lead.

This tab? If so, it has nothing to do with the operation of the shotgun. It's there to keep the mag tube/slide/barrel assembly from falling apart when removed, and bending something or denting the tube. The slide shouldn't be hitting this when closing the action or it will shear off in short order.

100_2673.JPG

I've Never played with take downs much but on a solid frame there is a stop in the form of a ring,  that keeps the action arm from pulling out of the hook.  On Winchesters it is a press fit (or so it appears) and I've not seen one fail.  On the Chinese  versions it is a ring  of metal, spot welded to the tube. I've seen those fail.  Unfortunately what 3FJ says doesn't apply to this discussion because that is on a take down.  I've never seen a Chinese takedown.

Note that in the photo the LH tube is the IAC in question.  You can see the ring is beat to snot and even see where the spot weld  is breaking.  The RH is a Winchester that is about 100 years older.  I like those so much better.

mag tubes.JPG

That's the ring that the slide action spring compresses against, right? It's odd it's getting hammered like that... it shouldn't be a "hard stop" for the slide, even with the spring installed.

It is a hard stop and you are correct that the spring should absorb most of the beating.  And also correct that it shouldn't fail.  From personal observation, I blame it on the spot welds (and likely softer steel) failing.  I've personally held in my hands at least 4 Chinese 97s that suffered from this same damage.  I currently own 8 solid frame Winchesters and have owned at least that many more at one time or another.  I have not seen this issue on a Winchester.

Drill it and tap it on four sides and install four screws with red loc tite. Then go to the inside and nock off the excess screw threads.

I've done this on many and never had one come apart again.

J.M.

I run my IAC 97's really hard in Wild Bunch.  I haven't seen that ring damaged on my guns.   Look for the action slide coming off the action slide hook, wrong action slide in the gun, etc.   Is the action slide spring ("hog ring" shaped) spring missing between the action slide (forend steel) and that stop ring?  Put it back in!

Good luck, GJ

Archived