SASS Wire Forum

Do you shoot 5 or 6? - stages at monthly matches

Warden Callaway

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

The last stage at yesterday's match had an unusual shotgun scenario.   Shoot rifle 10 shots at the ready on porch on left side of stage. Move right to small window and restage rifle. Pick up shotgun and shoot ONE target through window. Move right to next window and shoot ONE target. Then stage shotgun and shoot 10 pistol target.  Recover shotgun and move right to third window and shoot 3 more targets.  Split shotgun shot from three windows.

Please let me know who writes those stages. I want to make sure I do not attend one of

the matches they are writing for.

100% slanted to 97 shooters.

3 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Yep, that was the super stage on one of our Evil Bob matches a few years back.  Good thing that handsomeTO was there to keep everything straight! :lol::D

Kajun

Amazing!  That looks like fun, but a real lot to try to remember.   Twenty rifle?  Wow! 

3 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Yep, that was the super stage on one of our Evil Bob matches a few years back.  Good thing that handsomeTO was there to keep everything straight! :lol::D

Kajun

It looks like a Loading Table nightmare!  What a lot of clubs do is divide the match up into stages.  Worth considering, eh? 

My club shoots 6 stages on Saturday, different 6 on Sunday.

Sometimes 6 different bays, sometimes 3 bays shot with 2 scenarios each. Depends on the stage writer for each day

Each day is a separate match so shooter can shoot either day or both as they choose.

Works for us

Regards

:FlagAm: :FlagAm: :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

17 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I miss shooting 8 stages in So. Cal...

5 stages border on why even go...

Maybe we should just get dressed up and stay at home ... Maybe look at ourselves in a mirror an remember the days of our youth.

Phantom

Maybe we should put a pistol target out at 100 yards as a 10 second bonus.

6 hours ago, Russ The Red said:

Maybe we should put a pistol target out at 100 yards as a 10 second bonus.

While we're daydreaming, let's make it a swinger, and if  you hit it  you get a reshoot on the stage of your choice.   

What a logistical mess that would make.   

Just now, Dusty Devil Dale said:

While we're daydreaming, let's make it a swinger, and if  you hit it  you get a reshoot on the stage of your choice.   

What a logistical mess that would make.   

He was referring to me taking one shot at a hundred yards target Saturday (one handed), and hitting it... To show that I can hit targets:o

I miss a lot at monthlies when I'm in speed development mode.

Phantom

I wouldn't drive next door for a 5 stage match.

When I first started we ALWAYS shot 8 stages then clubs started dropping down to 6 stages and now FIVE!!!

What's next four or three...and then maybe two!!!:wacko:

No thanks!!! 

12 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

He was referring to me taking one shot at a hundred yards target Saturday (one handed), and hitting it... To show that I can hit targets:o

I miss a lot at monthlies when I'm in speed development mode.

Phantom

Well if you can do it anybody can......

not:D

9 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

It looks like a Loading Table nightmare!  What a lot of clubs do is divide the match up into stages.  Worth considering, eh? 

Dusty Devil Dale....a bit of advice.  Don't be passing out advice to anyone unless you know the whole story, especially behind this match. This match is a special one held at our club every so often and it is NOT an example of what is done every month.  We make the match interesting, fun, challenging and actually try to trip up the shooters but NOT at the expense of safety.  If you get a P at the Evil Bob match I'll actually give you a can of Peas.  Some the folks that got a can of peas from us actually consider it a prized possession. Every now and then we'll have a few that shoot the match clean and that is definitely an accomplishment.   I'll leave it there.

Kajun

39 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Dusty Devil Dale....a bit of advice.  Don't be passing out advice to anyone unless you know the whole story, especially behind this match. This match is a special one held at our club every so often and it is NOT an example of what is done every month.  We make the match interesting, fun, challenging and actually try to trip up the shooters but NOT at the expense of safety.  If you get a P at the Evil Bob match I'll actually give you a can of Peas.  Some the folks that got a can of peas from us actually consider it a prized possession. Every now and then we'll have a few that shoot the match clean and that is definitely an accomplishment.   I'll leave it there.

Kajun

It was a fun memorable stage.  Well worth it. 

I was very tired at the end though.  Those pistols I shoot last, that was the first time I had ever fired them.  Thanks Fast Eddie.

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

Well if you can do it anybody can......

not:D

I think you meant to write: "If anyone can do it, it is you!" This is a funny story.

Phantom was testing some of his pistols after the monthly match when I came up and asked some questions. He was very patient and talked to me about speed practice. He was explaining the difference between his hitting targets and hitting targets rapidly. With his last shot, just for the heck of it, he took aim at the 100 yard target at Briggsdale. He pulled the trigger and after what seemed an hour, we both heard the ping of a hit. So given the speed of the bullet and the speed of sound, we could have had a round of tea. It was really funny and we both found the humor in the report delay.

I know what you're thinking.

Do they shoot 6 stages or only 5?

Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I've kinda lost track myself.

But being as this is Cowboy Action Shooting.

The most exciting shooting sport there is.

And would test the most skilled shooters out there.

You've got to ask yourself one question.

Do I feel lucky?

Well do ya, pard?

i need to retire so i can shoot monthly matches , i like about 5-6 a day and ill be happy with either , i am only shooting the 2 day 10 stage  matches right now - only a couple a year sadly 

Wartrace Regulators shoot 5 stages.

ORSA Outlaws shoot 6 stages.

Bowling Green shot 5 stages until Bushrod saw this thread :P... Now we're gonna shoot 6 stages, yeeha!

15 hours ago, Krazy Kajun said:

Kajun

That's a lot more explanation than what appeared with the video.  Very helpful.  But what do you do with the majority of CAS shooters who don't have two rifles and four pistols.  Do they have to reload in mid stage?  Or sit this one out? 

1 minute ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That's a lot more explanation than what appeared with the video.  Very helpful.  But what do you do with the majority of CAS shooters who don't have two rifles and four pistols.  Do they have to reload in mid stage?  

I'd loan them some.  -_-

16 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Fairly impressive.  

17 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

I'd loan them some.  -_-

That is probably what most of us would do,

But there are some issues with routinely lending firearms.  For example, in California lending a firearm (even to a family member) without a background check and ten-day wait, and absent them having a current CA. Firearm Safety Certificate is technically an unlawful "transfer".  

There are also other safety and liability issues in lending guns with modified safety features, such as lever safeties or transfer bars. 

Designing stages with the expectation of many people having to borrow guns may not be the best of ideas.   Making it into two stages makes more sense to me. 

Just sayin.  

3 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

But what do you do with the majority of CAS shooters who don't have two rifles and four pistols.  

You sure that's the case? I'd guess the majority have backups for everything.

6 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That is probably what most of us would do,

But there are some issues with routinely lending firearms.  For example, in California lending a firearm (even to a family member) without a background check and ten-day wait, and absent them having a current CA. Firearm Safety Certificate is technically an unlawful "transfer".  

There are also other safety and liability issues in lending guns with modified safety features, such as lever safeties or transfer bars. 

Designing stages with the expectation of many people having to borrow guns may not be the best of ideas.   Making it into two stages makes more sense to me. 

Just sayin.  

Luckily we shot that stage in a state that doesn’t infringe our constitutional rights like CA does yours.  

Making it two stages would defeat the purpose of having a ‘superstage’. 

It’s always good to get feedback from experienced shooters and folks who’ve been writing and setting up matches for years though.

7 hours ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

That's a lot more explanation than what appeared with the video.  Very helpful.  But what do you do with the majority of CAS shooters who don't have two rifles and four pistols.  Do they have to reload in mid stage?  Or sit this one out? 

This stage counted as two stages in a six stage match given the amount of time it took to reset the stage so everyone had the ammo they needed.  As to having enough guns everyone shared guns and ammo on this stage and we had expeditors carry the extra guns too and from the line for the shooters.  Sure it took longer than normal but every person that shot that stage came away with a smile on their face for the effort.....some not so much with the results but everyone sure had fun.

Kajun

36 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

but everyone sure had fun.

No question it would be a fun stage and laugh producer.  If the posse is laughing and enjoying things, you probably did it right in setting the stage up. 

Placing that much heavy hardware must have taken some effort.   Hope the shooters appreciated it.

I move the heavier racks around on a hand truck, which makes it at least three times easier, but that's still a lot of heavy plate racks and tombstones to be put up and taken down.   

Tell me, would you do it again? 

And that's what its all about... FUN! Some don't get that and think others should play the way they do. HOGWASH!

Folks do things differently for a reason. Who wants to go to matches that are all the same? Not me.

Bravo BB for coming up with the crazy stuff you do, I haven't shot any of it, but I know many who have... and LOVE it!

Mix it up... do something out of the ordinary once in a while. Our December matches are only four stages, but usually with a little "spice".

Oh yeah, then we pig out!

17 minutes ago, Dusty Devil Dale said:

No question it would be a fun stage and laugh producer.  If the posse is laughing and enjoying things, you probably did it right in setting the stage up. 

Placing that much heavy hardware must have taken some effort.   Hope the shooters appreciated it.

I move the heavier racks around on a hand truck, which makes it at least three times easier, but that's still a lot of heavy plate racks and tombstones to be put up and taken down.   

Tell me, would you do it again? 

It took a good bit of effort and we were fortunate to have had that help for that match.  We would do that or something like that if the notion hits us, we are always looking for something different.

Kajun

9 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Wartrace Regulators shoot 5 stages.

ORSA Outlaws shoot 6 stages.

Bowling Green shot 5 stages until Bushrod saw this thread :P... Now we're gonna shoot 6 stages, yeeha!

Four ranges are a two hour trip for me.  I shoot Bowling Green when it's hot as blazes because the range is in the shade, so I'll put up with just five stages. For me, shooting is an all day affair. We may shoot fast, but I'm in no hurry to get home for lunch. Glad they are back to six! Might make the trip more often now.

At Boaz, Ky we shoot 3 stages twice, which helps with set-up and tear down. But it's hard to not shoot the second stage the way you shot it the first go round! B)

Even if it's the same travel time, we won't travel through Nashville traffic to just shoot five stages.

Archived