SASS Wire Forum

Do you shoot 5 or 6? - stages at monthly matches

Warden Callaway

We've always shot 6 stages at our local matches.  Another club nearby shoot 6.  We have shot at clubs that shot 5.  We're thinking of cutting back to 5 - maybe on the hot summer days.  

We shot 6 stages yesterday and had 18 on the posse.  We started at 9:30 and got done and targets put away by 1:30. But we didn't have any new shooters or many delays.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here in Gulf Coast Texas when it is so HOT with temperatures at 100+ degrees and heat indexes over 110 degrees, and 90%+ humidity, Thunder River Renegades allows summer dress and only shoots 5 stages.  Our low temps at night only get down to 81 - 82 so by start time it is already getting hot. Lots of us older folks can't handle the heat like we used to and 5 is all we can handle.  I know one club shoots 5 for time and allows those that want to shoot a 6th for fun. CAS is supposed to be fun, not an endurance test. 

The clubs I shoot at typically plan for 6 stages but sometimes the plan is to shoot 5. Things that factor into the decision is the lack of a breeze and the heat index. If there is a breeze and you can get out of the direct sun most people can tolerate the heat better. When there is no breeze and the humidity is high even the mid 90s can make for a tough day.

Even if 6 are planned, if it is really hot or really cold we may quit at 5 or even 4 if that is the consensus of the posse.

I’ve never shot at a club that shoots 5. However, the Virginia City Marshalls that shoot inside at the NRA on the first Tuesday of the month shoot 4 stages. 

Dutch 

One club shoots only 3. They don't get many folks from any distance coming in for monthlies.

Generally it's 6 stages with other clubs in my area although one offers 7. And that is just extra credit, extra goodness, for my day when that happens.

The posses at these clubs tend to be smaller however.

Most around here shoot 6.

If real hot. Stage writers need to keep that in mind. Make stages fast.

Also the PM need to make sure and keep things moving. No Easter egg hunts for brass

things like that. They can come back and hunt brass all they want after.

Club needs to make sure they START ON TIME.

Escondido 6

Dulzura 6

Cajon second Saturday 6

Cajon fourth Saturday 8

The Cowboys fourth Sunday @ Norco 8

I miss shooting 8 stages in So. Cal...

5 stages border on why even go...

Maybe we should just get dressed up and stay at home ... Maybe look at ourselves in a mirror an remember the days of our youth.

Phantom

We used to shoot 5.  When we went to setting up only 3 of our pits we went to 6.  It was easier to set up 3 pits and add a couple of targets .  We shoot 2 in each pit and change the scenario so we do shoot the same thing twice.

At Logans Ferry we shoot 6 stages. Most times 2 stages in a bay. The targets stay the same but the scenario changes. One bay is large enough to set 2 stages side by side. We generally have 2 posse’ and the bay rotation works smoothly. 

Most shoot 6, occasionally cut to 5 in the 100 degree Texas summer. 

One club only has 5 bays, so they shoot 5. Wish they would shoot one stage twice. One of the MDs there used to skip a gun on a stage here and there. Only shoot Rifle/pistols or Shotgun/pistols. He said it was because ammo was hard to come by and expensive.  I thought that kinda silly as everybody came there to shoot! 

At Kings River Regulators, we shoot 5 stages on Saturday (historically called a "practice") and 5 on Sunday.  They have evolved into  two separate matches, each day scored separately, with different courses of fire.   Our summer weather is too hot to do more than five stages in a day.  We have to avoid the afternoon heat which can be upwards of 105 degrees. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Most shoot 6, occasionally cut to 5 in the 100 degree Texas summer. 

One club only has 5 bays, so they shoot 5. Wish they would shoot one stage twice. One of the MDs there used to skip a gun on a stage here and there. Only shoot Rifle/pistols or Shotgun/pistols. He said it was because ammo was hard to come by and expensive.  I thought that kinda silly as everybody came there to shoot! 

Hey, at 8 cents a round to reload he's saving them $0.80!

5 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I feel cheated if I can't shoot at least 6.....and don't skimp on the SG targets...……...lol

There is one club here that has gotten so ridiculous on shotgun targets, at least one shooter has considered something else that weekend. "If I want to shoot shotgun, I'll find a clays match somewhere". Eight+ is common - "shoot the star until all plates are off, move to position two, shoot the four knockdowns (two with aerial targets), then shoot makeup shots on the plate." Some folks might take 6-8 on the star, 4 on the knockdowns, 2 misses on the aerials, then 2 makeups for a total of 16... or more.

Matches around here usually consist of six stages, but one club (now defunct) routinely shot only five, and one other actually cut back to four for their first match of only three scheduled this year. There were enough complaints, they put in a fifth for the second match consisting of a rifle dump and a pistol dump. Their two day is this weekend, and I expect there will be either 10 or 12 stages over the weekend.

6 mostly.

sometimes 5 in the coldest of the winter months.

one local non affiliated club only shoots 4, and only in the summer due to host range availability.  I don't shoot there much any more even though it's the closest to my house.

9 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

There's no such thing as too much shooting on a stage, is there?

20-20-10?

That looks like a bunch of fun!!!

The last stage at yesterday's match had an unusual shotgun scenario.   Shoot rifle 10 shots at the ready on porch on left side of stage. Move right to small window and restage rifle. Pick up shotgun and shoot ONE target through window. Move right to next window and shoot ONE target. Then stage shotgun and shoot 10 pistol target.  Recover shotgun and move right to third window and shoot 3 more targets.  Split shotgun shot from three windows.

10 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

The last stage at yesterday's match had an unusual shotgun scenario.   Shoot rifle 10 shots at the ready on porch on left side of stage. Move right to small window and restage rifle. Pick up shotgun and shoot ONE target through window. Move right to next window and shoot ONE target. Then stage shotgun and shoot 10 pistol target.  Recover shotgun and move right to third window and shoot 3 more targets.  Split shotgun shot from three windows.

Perfect! If you shoot a 97.

7 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

I feel cheated if I can't shoot at least 6.....and don't skimp on the SG targets...……...lol

Yeah....you and Blackhawk Henry! :P

Kajun

1 hour ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

There's no such thing as too much shooting on a stage, is there?

20-20-10?

Yep, that was the super stage on one of our Evil Bob matches a few years back.  Good thing that handsomeTO was there to keep everything straight! :lol::D

Kajun

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

That's horrible!!!

Archived