SASS Wire Forum

Bonus

JohnWesleyHardin

We had two bird malfunctions today.  One the bird simply didn't fly.  The second, the bird took off early due to the other targets going down.  What's the right call.  We award 5 second bonuses for each hit bird.

- Reshoots are not awarded for ammunition or firearm malfunctions.  However, if there is a range failure (failure of props, failure of the timer, or Range Officer interference) beyond the competitor’s control, a reshoot may be granted.

SHB p.21

TARGET FAILURE

In the event a target fails or falls to the ground, the Chief Range Officer should instruct the shooter to "shoot where it was."  This call will never result in a penalty of any kind to the shooter. 

RO2 p.8

...as long as the shot for the "bonus" bird is actually fired.

The shooter would not be "penalized" because it is a bonus if hit not a miss.  Is the correct answer to give him the bonus or do not award the bonus and offer him a reshoot?

1 minute ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

The shooter would not be "penalized" because it is a bonus if hit not a miss.  Is the correct answer to give him the bonus or do not award the bonus and offer him a reshoot?

Missing a time-related "bonus" IS a penalty as it relates to everyone who hits it.

"Shoot where it was" means "give the shooter the hit" as long as the shot is fired.

The correct answer is either of the two options.

2 hours ago, JohnWesleyHardin said:

There is a time differential between those that hit vs those that don't... Just like any other target.

Bonuses are not bonuses once one person has hit that bonus. Then it's just like any other target.

Phantom

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

There is a time differential between those that hit vs those that don't... Just like any other target.

Bonuses are not bonuses once one person has hit that bonus. Then it's just like any other target.

Phantom

Exactly.  And why I don't like the entire concept of the "bonus".  It's still just another target.

25 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

+1

Yep - Bonuses are bogus.  Just call it what it is a target that must be hit if you want to score well.   Pain for scoring as well since folks forget to mark it on sheets and harder to proof. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I love flyers and other 'bonus' targets, but the name is misleading. 

Flyers and other unusual targets add a wonderful amount of variety and entertainment.  But they really are just another target.

16 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

RO2 p.8

...as long as the shot for the "bonus" bird is actually fired.

My experience is that most clubs do it that way.  A clay bird broken by the apparatus or a failed launch is simply a feebie to the shooter.  Same as a shotgun KD that doesn't get reset between shooters.  Just shoot where it would have been.  

11 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It's still just another target.

10 hours ago, Joe LaFives #5481 said:

Yep - Bonuses are bogus.  Just call it what it is a target that must be hit if you want to score well.

I fully agree that the designation doesn't matter for the scoring and ranking, but doesn't it make a difference for the guys whose main (or even single) goal is a clean match? My understanding is that a missed bonus isn't counted as miss (but I haven't encountered many stages with bonus targets yet).  So, bonus targets are a possibility to intersperse a couple of more challenging targets without having people lamenting their clean match denied?

Equanimous

17 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

That's why I like them though. IMO a "good" shooter trying to win should be able to address a bonus target with no issues. If not they found a weak point and probably should address that if they want to be a champion rather than a weekend warrior or causal competitor. 

But at the same time it gives people a chance to do something more difficult with a lower risk factor if there goal is to shoot clean. The key is to balance out the time so you don't have big time advantages that change the match drastically.

You don't want a 10 sec bonus for a static clay shot with a pistol at 5 yards...…..that's too much weight for one shot in a match.....but say 3 for that  target is better. If you miss it you lose really less than 3 because the time it takes to aim is longer than the .25 to engage a steel target. Could that 2.72 sec change the match for the overall? Yes but I would think the match winner should be able to do that over and over again. 

I think a lot of folks really like them if they are done right. The wrong way is a 5 sec bonus if you hit it and a miss if you don't. That gets done sometimes but it's really a 10 second swing...….for one target which causes a lot of place changes in the match due to one difficult shot. 

6 hours ago, Equanimous Phil said:

I fully agree that the designation doesn't matter for the scoring and ranking, but doesn't it make a difference for the guys whose main (or even single) goal is a clean match? My understanding is that a missed bonus isn't counted as miss (but I haven't encountered many stages with bonus targets yet).  So, bonus targets are a possibility to intersperse a couple of more challenging targets without having people lamenting their clean match denied?

Equanimous

I'd say that's a red herring.  A clean match ought to be just that.  Every target struck with no penalties. 

For a MD, just put out that bird, or that long shot on a smaller target.  I bet you'll see no less smiles if you call it a bonus or not. 

I once saw a shooter have a “malfunction “  with his 97 on a bonus shot. It was the last shot of the stage. Shot stage from inside saloon, then go outside carrying shotgun. Get to position, call “pull” for single flyer. Took several seconds to get out of building and I to position. Certainly longer than 5 seconds. He fumbled shells. Had his gun hang up, all sorts of problems. He finally declared “broke gun”. No way to prove it, but I think he intentionally did not shoot the bonus. 

Lesson learned. Poor stage design. 

PLUS ONE or TWO too Phantom and Doc Shapiro.

I like shooting target launched flyers.  It's a gob of fun.  I don't like making them a "bonus."  After all, it is "just another target."  Hit or miss, read em and weep.  Grins and giggles when ya hit em though.

22 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

I'd say that's a red herring.  A clean match ought to be just that.  Every target struck with no penalties. 

For a MD, just put out that bird, or that long shot on a smaller target.  I bet you'll see no less smiles if you call it a bonus or not. 

We see lots of smiles here doing it. It's low risk if it doesn't count toward your clean match. Again IMHO that's the beauty of it...…….I see your point but advertiser's still know that $19.99 still makes people think differently than $20 even though it's only 1 penny difference. 

2 hours ago, Cowboy Junky said:

We see lots of smiles here doing it. It's low risk if it doesn't count toward your clean match. Again IMHO that's the beauty of it...…….I see your point but advertiser's still know that $19.99 still makes people think differently than $20 even though it's only 1 penny difference. 

Just to be a pain, it's more like $24.99 with a $5 discount at one store, vs $19.99 at another.  :-p

3 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

I LOVE BONUSES!!!  Phantom couldn't be any more wrong! :angry:

(Not really.  I've just agreed with him far too much lately and had to get back on track. ;))

I actually made a funny response...That apparently the Moderators felt wasn't...funny.

Seriously, it was the kind of jab that friends make...kind of like yours. 

I think the world is going to hell when people can't see that the banter is done in jest amongst friends.

Phantom

54 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I actually made a funny response...That apparently the Moderators felt wasn't...funny.

Seriously, it was the kind of jab that friends make...kind of like yours. 

I think the world is going to hell when people can't see that the banter is done in jest amongst friends.

Phantom

Well I'll pretend I saw it and took it with the friendly spirit with which it was intended. :lol:

Archived