SASS Wire Forum

Organic pesticides and herbicides

Trigger Mike

I am trying to get more into farming.  I have problems each year with bugs eating my turnips and tomatoes.  What organic pesticides are you using that works.  I  have read about an extract from daisies or baby soap. Also herbicides are needed 

I suggest you get in touch with the University of Georgia Extension Service via         Georgia Organics

Just curious.  How large an area are you proposing to farm?  What are your objectives?  (Personal or Commercial?)  

I can see it now.

B615F477-5C5A-4B0D-8EFF-111B1ABAFA59.jpeg

11 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

I hope to do mild commercial farming on 20 acres.  Thank you for the link 

I will use it 

I dealt with small farmining systems for many years. The best advice I can give you is to identify your markets beforehand.....not when you have a field full of rapidly ripening tomatoes.   Twenty acres is a lot of vegetables!!!!!   Good luck! 

As far as farming goes the best advice I can give is.....DON’T! 

Farmers earn a meager celery, come home beet and just want to read the pepper, turn-ip the covers, en-dive into bed” 

;)

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How do you make a million dollars farming??  Start with two million.;)

My wife manages a 1,000 acre avocado and citrus ranch and the long term outlook is not good. Labor is very hard to come by and water is $1,800.00 an acre foot. It takes 37 gallons of water a day to keep an avocado tree producing. 6 out of their 9 wells are dry. They need 25-28 farm workers and they have 13. The labor contractors can’t hire enough help to pick the fruit when it’s ready and much of it matures and falls on the ground. Once it hits the ground you can’t do anything with it.

49 minutes ago, Yul Lose said:

My wife manages a 1,000 acre avocado and citrus ranch and the long term outlook is not good. Labor is very hard to come by and water is $1,800.00 an acre foot. It takes 37 gallons of water a day to keep an avocado tree producing. 6 out of their 9 wells are dry. They need 25-28 farm workers and they have 13. The labor contractors can’t hire enough help to pick the fruit when it’s ready and much of it matures and falls on the ground. Once it hits the ground you can’t do anything with it.

That’s rough. Most farming around here is dry land beans. No irrigation except for the alfalfa fields.

Weed Killer One Gallon Vinegar , two cups Epsom Salts and two oz. Dawn Dish Soap ,,,,,, Mix it up and spray it on the weeds when it's hot and Sunny for the best Kill ....

Jabez Cowboy

1 hour ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

ALL pesticides are organic.  They contain the element carbon.  Organic is just advertising hype.

All chemicals are natural. They all come from the earth.

Archived