SASS Wire Forum

Loading bench for limited space?

Croc Holiday

I’ve got a small garage and too much crap.  I don’t have space for a dedicated loading bench.  I do have a work bench I use for all sorts of projects.  I’m considering mounting the presses to something like 3/4” ply or particle board so I can clamp it to the bench when I need it and shelf it when I don’t.  Another option I thought of was getting a cheap little kitchen island cart and mounting it to that so I can roll it out to use it and roll it out of the way to store it.  Before I commit to one, I thought I’d see what other folks do.  Is there a better option I haven’t considered?

My Lee Turret press is mounted on a piece of 2×6 that's about a foot long and I clamp it to a workbenches. I did that so I could take a press to the range easily.

I have quick change mounts for my Hornady Lock N Loads and my MEC.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system

The best option IS the press on a board clamped to the work bench. Back in college, I loaded ammo in my dorm room and cast bullets in the bathroom at the end of the hall. :D My press (first a RCBS Jr and then a RCBS Rockchucker) was bolted to a tiny bench. The bench had an about 18"x8" top and a 24"x8" bottom board with two (2) 18"x8" risers. I would sit on the floor to reload. All of my gear-dies, bullets, powders, bullets, etc. was stored in a cardboard box that I kept in my closet.

I'm in the same boat, no room. This was my solution. I just roll it into the closet when I'm done.

IMG_0850.jpg

I have limited space on my bench so I mount my presses on a piece of plywood and then install and remove them according to which press I want to use.  When not in use I put them on a shelf I have in the loading room and this leaves a clear bench for other projects.  I mounted a T nut to my bench and use a thumb screw when I have a press on the bench.

Here is a press on the bench with the thumb screw holding it down.

EiLKQaM.jpg

Here is what the thumb screw looks like in the bench.  Note that when I don’t have a press on the bench the thumb screw if off in the tool rack.

T4wF0fw.jpg

Here is the rack I use to store some of my presses.

7rwJWm1.jpg

And this is what my bench looks like without any of my presses mounted on it.

B4x0Qb9.jpg

I hope this helps you.

NCD

I use one of these

Quick change press mounting system. One mount, countless uses.

Use the storage rack to store the press I am not using.

To secure the press to the bench I attached a 2X to the underside where the bolt holes are and installed these anchor nuts.E-Z Lok Threaded Insert, Zinc, Hex-Flanged, 1/4"-20 Internal Threads, 13mm Length

The cabinet is appealing for keeping things together.  

Mobility of the press being on a board is a good benefit though.

at least both my initial solutions are represented :D

Are you limited to the garage?

It’s much more comfortable to load in a spare bedroom, out of winter cold and summer heat, in controlled humidity and temperature conditions.

My re-purposed student desk holds a lot of stuff:

38470B9B-0CA7-4089-922C-E09F6DCCE0FD.jpeg.8f040fc46e5bd65cbd0b5704fed7327c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Tried those one time-Went back to what I posted as it has a larger head/flange.  Won't pull into the wood, like those other ones did. ;)

OLG

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

My Lee Turret press is mounted on a piece of 2×6 that's about a foot long and I clamp it to a workbenches. I did that so I could take a press to the range easily.

^This is exactly how I started off and it served me well as my primary press for many years. Still own it and take it to the range when I need to develop a new load. Easily transportable and clamps to a portable table for use. 

20 minutes ago, Trooper Ozzy said:

Calibers loaded currently: 32 S&W, 9mm, 38 spl, 45 acp, 45 cowboy special, 45 colt, 45-70 Govt. Smokeless and BP. Lee Loadall on another board for 12 ga BP. Mec Jr on another board for .410 skeet shells. 

20160305_144846.jpg

How do you work the press while sitting on the stool? :wacko:

J/k...   

I've known a number of folks in the same situation to use Black & Decker Workmate......saw this the first time when I was working with USAF personnel living in base quarters.....seemed to work well for them...

Bugler

When I was in College some 40 years ago,  I had a Lyman spar-t mounted to a board about 18"x24".  The board was mounted to a 2" diameter pipe of about 3 feet long using a floor flange.  I had another 18x24 board on the bottom again with the other end of the pipe in another floor flange. and I would sit and put my feet on the bottom board and load.  Easy to store in a closet and I could sit and reload quite easily. 

This is what I use, A bench grinder pedestal bolted to a piece of plywood for stability. I then use a 2x10 to join the reloader to pedestal with T-nuts. Think ahead and make sure all connections are recessed for a flat surface. Another idea is to connect the pedestal to a car wheel rim (weld/bolt). Additional fill the wheel rim with concrete.

https://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-bench-grinder-pedestal-68321.html

I attached my 550 to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Arsenal-Reloading-Adjustable-Construction/dp/B00HTN98X6/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1F08SV26BVJ7N&keywords=reloading+bench&qid=1565504349&s=gateway&sprefix=reloading+b%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-13

In the theory that some day this is going to need to go in the RV.  (We plan on spending up to 5 years living mostly out of the RV once we retire, however that may have to change if my MIL ends up living with us.)

Started loading on a Spar-T that was mounted at an angle on a simple wooden bench about 3' long made of 2X6 lumber. I could sit on the bench and work the reloader.

Moved up to a Dillon 450, then 550; both of them were mounted on a 2X6 fastened to the wall in the back corner of a garage. Next to it was a salvaged kitchen upper cabinet topped with a 2X6 and mounted so the top was level with the reloader bench.

With the Dillon, the shallow cabinet and bench left plenty of room for getting the car in and out.

9 hours ago, Bugler said:

I've known a number of folks in the same situation to use Black & Decker Workmate......saw this the first time when I was working with USAF personnel living in base quarters.....seemed to work well for them...

Bugler

For a portable folding work bench this is by far the best solution.  Especially if you can find one of the older all steel ones.

All things to excess!

But when I started, I used a Lyman 310 tool that I kept in a kitchen drawer and a Belding and Mull powder measure that I had to go to a friends house to adjust because I didn’t have a powder measure.

FF492D70-1FE9-4B04-BCB1-770FB3DFB5AC.jpeg

19EE1FEF-7D2B-4D15-8569-E2DBD8C4E241.jpeg

15EC695F-4A4D-48DE-A1E7-7A491A6A2224.jpeg

5071017D-967F-4C40-9778-5164B4527BE5.jpeg

5AC191C2-4FC8-4BDE-800C-0032490FF436.jpeg

I went to a metal shop and got them to cut 1/4" aluminum plate in 6"X12" pieces, they are all permanently mounted to my presses. I mount them to the bench with a cordless electric drill. The holes for mounting to the bench are all drilled in the same place in the plates. It takes about 30 seconds to remove one press and mount another on the bench.

kR

Thanks for all the input!  For now I’ll mount it on the very fancy leftover IKEA shelf I have.  Functional and classy!  If they’re on my workbench too often I’ll ponder some of these.

I have a shared work space and bench for various hobbies. I mount presses to a small piece of plywood about 1/2" - 3/4" thick and various width/length depending on press and what type shelf I want to go with the press and room to store on shelf. I clamp the board down inside. My preference is to reload outside and clamp the press/board on this 

https://www.harborfreight.com/folding-clamping-workbench-with-movable-pegs-47844.html

It is very sturdy, folds up, mobile, and cheap. It also serves as saw horse and outdoor workbench. I have similar shelf as Nickle City Dude to store presses on.

I reload on my patio with a ceiling fan and a floor fan at each end. This keeps the air/powder/etc. moving. Even in Summer it is relatively comfortable to reload outside. If really tight on space, get a board about 2' x 4', clamp to the folding bench, clamp press to the big board, and you have a large work space. Table folds up, board stands up, press back on the shelf. Floor space is free again.

RRR 

22 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

My space is crowded and some day I need to clean it up but for now it works.

RandyAD1C1CB5-039D-4AC4-BB1B-2FFCB877C95D.thumb.jpeg.ce69e08a584904cc83fb8fd116a9fe85.jpeg

Mine looks like that at times.  My wife accuses me of needing to put on a harness and rope-up to get across my garage alive.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-46-in-W-x-24-5-in-D-9-Drawer-Tool-Chest-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-in-Black-H46MWC9XD/303101236

I use one of these for my Square Deal and MEC Sizemaster. Drawers are great for storage and it moves around easily when I need it to.

12 hours ago, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

All things to excess!

But when I started, I used a Lyman 310 tool that I kept in a kitchen drawer and a Belding and Mull powder measure that I had to go to a friends house to adjust because I didn’t have a powder measure.

FF492D70-1FE9-4B04-BCB1-770FB3DFB5AC.jpeg

19EE1FEF-7D2B-4D15-8569-E2DBD8C4E241.jpeg

15EC695F-4A4D-48DE-A1E7-7A491A6A2224.jpeg

5071017D-967F-4C40-9778-5164B4527BE5.jpeg

5AC191C2-4FC8-4BDE-800C-0032490FF436.jpeg

Please give the details of that combo mill/lathe.

OLG

On July 15, 2019 at 6:07 PM, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

On August 9, 2019 at 9:41 PM, Matthew Duncan said:

On August 10, 2019 at 7:03 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

My space is crowded and some day I need to clean it up but for now it works.

RandyAD1C1CB5-039D-4AC4-BB1B-2FFCB877C95D.thumb.jpeg.ce69e08a584904cc83fb8fd116a9fe85.jpeg

Randy, has your Doctor seen this? There is help available, and you shouldn't feel sad.  (Joke - OMFG)

I may make you my first Red Flag Law candidate, right after the Hillary Clinton Suicide investigations are complete, and someone goes to jail.  Sarcasm added by the author for humor.

Archived