SASS Wire Forum

Getting Started Firearms

dannyvp

Keep in mind that only Buckaroo/Buckerette category can use .22s.  That category is for 13 and under which means your 11 year old would only be able to use the .22s for CAS for 2 years maximum.

3 hours ago, dannyvp said:

I keep seeing pre safety Rossi rifles.

can a Rossi be bought without a safety now?

whats the advantages to no safety?

The safety can be removed with no disassembly - just open the action, tap out the roll pin holding the safety in, and the safety, spring, and detent ball fall right out. Well, actually the spring goes shooting across the room and you'll never find it again. The rifle is fully functional at this point, but now there's a big hole in the top of the bolt. There are a couple places to buy a plug, or make your own. I've read of people cutting down a .25 acp case and epoxying it in the hole.

Whatever you do, please don't ruin the sport for you or your kids because you decided to go too cheap. Especially with your rifle. At the first match I went to (I wasn't even shooting but my boys were), a fast and well known shooter gave me what he considered to be the best advice he could give to someone just starting. He said to buy the best guns to begin with. He said to get a credit card or whatever I had to do if I couldn't afford them. Because we would have way more fun with good equipment and we'd not be fighting our guns. His advice turned out to be true at that very match. If you want I can post a video of a 10  year old boy that ended up with match DQ caused by a cheap, untuned rifle that jammed up. Trust me, a kid that worked his butt off, practicing almost every day for months so he can win a buckle at the world championship, is not going to be having fun when that hope is ruined on his final day of shooting. He is going to be crying and there isn't going to be anything you or anyone else in the posse can do to console them. 

This is the way I look at it. If you get the best deal you can on the very best equipment, it will hold it's value. It will then be an investment rather than a liability. It may be hard to spend a lot or take time to save up. But you will never wish you would have gotten something better and if you end up changing your mind soon or years down the road, it will still be what people want and you will have an easy time selling it. Maybe at no loss if you didn't spend too much on tuning them. Gun prices have steadily climbed and a lot of people are able to sell their guns at a profit after years of use. I also know of people that bought Dillon reloaders, enjoyed having the best for 10 or 20 years, and then sold them for more than they bought them for. That means that in the end, it didn't cost them anything. It actually made them money. So to me, the cheapest guns and equipment are actually also the best ones. 

10 minutes ago, Hells Comin said:

?

I'm saying when you invest in quality things, they last. You don't have to replace them or repair them as often. Which saves money in the long run so it ends up being cheaper. So I think the best things end up being cheaper even though they cost more to begin with. 

I ordered a few firearms today.

a Rossi rifle, cimmaron lightening and cimmaron pistola to try out.

ill post an update and pictures soon!

We have 22LR for our "trainers" and for any grand kids who might voice an interest, as unlikely as this may be...
As new shooters, the 22s let us practice flow and develop proper habits at much reduce shooting costs.

We have a pair of Single-Six Bisleys that have the same heft and feel as our Vaqueros.
I just acquired a Henry Frontier 22LR with the similar feel and heft as our 1894CB.
Tube loading is different on the Henry from side-gate loading on the 1894.

We use a Stoeger 12-gauge, double trigger model with AA reduced load shells.
I'm looking into a Kick-EEZ sorbothane recoil pad, as my bride is recoil-averse after her Dad's 10-gauge and '-06 experiences.

11 hours ago, Hells Comin said:

It would be a good idea to buy or borrow some cowboy action shooting DVD'S. They will teach you  good techniques and HOW to practice. Bad habits can be hard to undo. 

yep a lot of the world champs have instructional/tutorial videos on youtube. after a year of muddling my way through it I started watching some of long hunters videos and my times are getting better every time. 

7 hours ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

yep a lot of the world champs have instructional/tutorial videos on youtube. after a year of muddling my way through it I started watching some of long hunters videos and my times are getting better every time. 

Any links to good YT videos that anyone has found would be greatly appreciated.  Might help a lot of the new folk

2 hours ago, heckofagator said:

Any links to good YT videos that anyone has found would be greatly appreciated.  Might help a lot of the new folk

Sure. Here's the one that I go to the most. It's NSSF channel with Long Hunter (copy and paste the link and it will take you to all of his videos)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL64DBEE0284DF6424

Deuce Stevens has lots of tips and product reviews also. 

https://www.youtube.com/user/deucestevens/videos

Jed I tv is full of entertainment but they also have lots of tips thrown in.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JediGunfighter/videos

There's tons of cowboy stuff out there to watch. These are just the ones that come to the top of my mind. I've watched a lot of these and they have helped me.

Archived