SASS Wire Forum

1873 Winchester .32-20 loads

Willapa Slim

Howdy, 

I just bought my first 1873 Winchester, a .32-20 made in 1884. I'm looking for load data for this rifle. I'd like to use smokeless powder if possible, but understand that I need low pressure loads. I have some 115 grain rnfp bullets, .313 diameter that I'd like to use. Can anyone advise me on some safe loads? Thanks!

This is my loading for .32-20

3.0 grains of Trailboss behind a .313" 100 grain RNFP bullet using Small Rifle primers.

I use this load in a Winchester 73, a Winchester 92, and a Colt Lightning, the last of which is from the 1890's.   I also use it in a 3rd and 1st gen Colt revolver.   Works very well, shoots very  mild, and is as accurate as all get out.   

The reason I use the 100 grain bullet is rather simple, it was the only bullet of the proper diameter at the store I went to buy bullets at when I first started reloading, and I've stuck with it.    For a 115 grain bullet, Hodgdon lists between 2.2 and 2.5 grains of powder for a .314" bullet. as well as a loading for a 90 grain bullet.

I came up with my 3.0 grains using the Trailboss "formula" where you figure out where the base of the bullet will sit in the case, and fill it with powder so that the bullet will just touch the powder with no compression.   That is your max load for that bullet.  Your starting load is 70% of the max load.   Since I have noticed that different bullets of the same weight can vary quite a bit from crimp groove to the bottom of the bullet, every time I get different ones, I use this method to check to see what my load should be.   Not been an issue with .32-20, but with some other calibers it can made as much a 1 grain difference.  And with Trailboss, that's significant.

As far as not using smokeless in antiques go, for pistols I would agree that it should never be done.   [With a few rare exceptions where the manufacturer did say it as okay at the time.]    With rifles however, I am more apt to think it's okay.   There is a lot more steel surrounding the chamber to contain the pressure on a rifle than there is on a revolver.   In fact, I remember a posting here not too long ago where someone mentioned out back in the day, Winchester checked some smokeless rounds in older 73's and felt they were just fine to use.   Take this with a grain of salt, as I can't remember who posted it, or where it came from.   But the initial comment about way more steel surrounding the chamber, especially on a .32-20, still stands.

Good luck

2 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

This is my loading for .32-20

3.0 grains of Trailboss behind a .313" 100 grain RNFP bullet using Small Rifle primers.

I use this load in a Winchester 73, a Winchester 92, and a Colt Lightning, the last of which is from the 1890's.   I also use it in a 3rd and 1st gen Colt revolver.   Works very well, shoots very  mild, and is as accurate as all get out.   

The reason I use the 100 grain bullet is rather simple, it was the only bullet of the proper diameter at the store I went to buy bullets at when I first started reloading, and I've stuck with it.    For a 115 grain bullet, Hodgdon lists between 2.2 and 2.5 grains of powder for a .314" bullet. as well as a loading for a 90 grain bullet.

I came up with my 3.0 grains using the Trailboss "formula" where you figure out where the base of the bullet will sit in the case, and fill it with powder so that the bullet will just touch the powder with no compression.   That is your max load for that bullet.  Your starting load is 70% of the max load.   Since I have noticed that different bullets of the same weight can vary quite a bit from crimp groove to the bottom of the bullet, every time I get different ones, I use this method to check to see what my load should be.   Not been an issue with .32-20, but with some other calibers it can made as much a 1 grain difference.  And with Trailboss, that's significant.

As far as not using smokeless in antiques go, for pistols I would agree that it should never be done.   [With a few rare exceptions where the manufacturer did say it as okay at the time.]    With rifles however, I am more apt to think it's okay.   There is a lot more steel surrounding the chamber to contain the pressure on a rifle than there is on a revolver.   In fact, I remember a posting here not too long ago where someone mentioned out back in the day, Winchester checked some smokeless rounds in older 73's and felt they were just fine to use.   Take this with a grain of salt, as I can't remember who posted it, or where it came from.   But the initial comment about way more steel surrounding the chamber, especially on a .32-20, still stands.

Good luck

Ditto....I use the same load of 3.0 grains Trail Boss and 100 gr. .313" bullet tips in all three of my 32-20 rifles, as well as my 32-20 Taylor pistols.

Archived