SASS Wire Forum

I can't see clearly now....the fog is here.

Trying to get rid of the squirrel population pilfering bird seed from our feeders.

Obviously, the squirrel-proof feeders are not really that. :angry:

The wife and I have been trying to shoot them from the back door of the house; however, they are getting wise to us :ph34r:, when we try to open the door ever so slowly, they quickly jump to adjoining trees and scurry away. The little cowards! :P

Wife is shooting a .177 pellet rifle (no scope), and I have recently joined in with a Stoeger .22 break-barrel pellet rifle with scope.

With the high humidity here in Florida, once I move from inside the house to outside to take aim, the scope is all fogged up.

While I am attempting to wipe it clear, the squirrels take time to 1994268057_LaughingatYou-Emoji-RESIZED.jpg.30d4abb7c3572bbf42a9c930a31ec861.jpg at me, do a few twerks, and off they go again. 

What is the best method/product to use to keep a rifle scope from fogging up?

I use some stuff my wife bought at an optometrist's shop, that you put on your glasses to prevent fogging.

I used to have some Amway spray cleaner/anti-fog stuff that worked too, although I haven't seen it for some time. 

4 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

I use some stuff my wife bought at an optometrist's shop, that you put on your glasses to prevent fogging.

I used to have some Amway spray cleaner/anti-fog stuff that worked too, although I haven't seen it for some time. 

Kid:

If the product is applied to the lens of the scope while in the house, and sits there for a day, will it still prevent the scope from fogging up when taken outside?

I'm not wanting to take extra time to apply something, once a squirrel is spotted. Timing is everything with these jokers. :angry:

I used to have the same problem. Except my bushy tail tree rats were in the pecans. I could step out onto the back porch, but opening the back porch door made them all beat feet.

My solution was to remove the screen from the window in the bedroom. I then slid the window open and stuck the rifle barrel out the window. I had to hold the trigger down to cock it, as it has a very loud cocking noise. it only took about two shots for every squirrel in the neighborhood to realize what that CLACK meant.

Something else that helped was that every time I stepped outside I had a 22 pistol in my pocket. Both the pistol and the rifle were (and still are) loaded with Aguila Super Colibri. Deadly to about 30 feet. If I was carrying the rifle when I stepped out, usually they saw me and ran. But if I didn't have the rifle, they frequently ignored me.

Entirely wrong approach to the problem!  You need to distract the squirrels by providing them with a feeding place of their own. For example, we have wood fences with a 2x4 top plate. My wife places handfuls of salt-free (don't want to give the critters high blood pressure) peanuts on top of the fence rail.  No conflict with birds, except for some pesky pine jays that will go after the peanuts. (They swallow them whole! Apparently they grind them up in their craw!)

I'd also recommend moving your bird feeder where the squirrels can jump on them from a tree or whatever.  Then put a metal collar around the feeder support so the squirrels can't climb up. B)

Are you able to go out the front door and walk around to the side of the house then peek around the corner with the barrel of the rifle?

This is what I have had for some 15 years now. With the weight of the squirrel the outside collapses covering the openings and nothing is able to get to the feed. Also use a slinky on the pole.

https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Buster-Classic-Feeding-Capacity/dp/B000HHHEF0/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=Cj0KCQjws7TqBRDgARIsAAHLHP4S25rmaMNX2DH8VrkoEgGrrJl117JPw15IZX7wstMYJn2qFG6ewesaAipZEALw_wcB&hvadid=248746533785&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9023611&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4555223993292503015&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-303175740381&hydadcr=28724_10190307&keywords=brome+squirrel+proof+bird+feeders&qid=1565367349&s=gateway&sr=8-5

21 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Leave the rifle outside-

Is it the outside or the inside of the scope that 'sweats'?

OLG

@The Original Lumpy Gritz

Both the front and back of the scope fog up upon entering the outside temperature.

3 minutes ago, Smoken D said:

Are you able to go out the front door and walk around to the side of the house then peek around the corner with the barrel of the rifle?

This is what I have had for some 15 years now. With the weight of the squirrel the outside collapses covering the openings and nothing is able to get to the feed. Also use a slinky on the pole.

https://www.amazon.com/Squirrel-Buster-Classic-Feeding-Capacity/dp/B000HHHEF0/ref=sr_1_5?gclid=Cj0KCQjws7TqBRDgARIsAAHLHP4S25rmaMNX2DH8VrkoEgGrrJl117JPw15IZX7wstMYJn2qFG6ewesaAipZEALw_wcB&hvadid=248746533785&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9023611&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=4555223993292503015&hvtargid=aud-649564993678%3Akwd-303175740381&hydadcr=28724_10190307&keywords=brome+squirrel+proof+bird+feeders&qid=1565367349&s=gateway&sr=8-5

Smoken D:

We have also been visited by a raccoon that has been climbing the bird feeder stands (will attach a pic after I head home for lunch) and in those situations, I have left out the front door and approached the back yard; however, this has only occurred once, and he was not there by the time I got the rifle, loaded, cocked, opened door, etc.

As for feeders, we have an assortment of feeders, one of which is similar (only ours is square) to the one you suggested; however, the birds have not quite yet gotten used to it.

Thanks for the input.

35 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Entirely wrong approach to the problem!  You need to distract the squirrels by providing them with a feeding place of their own. For example, we have wood fences with a 2x4 top plate. My wife places handfuls of salt-free (don't want to give the critters high blood pressure) peanuts on top of the fence rail.  No conflict with birds, except for some pesky pine jays that will go after the peanuts. (They swallow them whole! Apparently they grind them up in their craw!)

I'd also recommend moving your bird feeder where the squirrels can jump on them from a tree or whatever.  Then put a metal collar around the feeder support so the squirrels can't climb up. B)

Trailrider:

That might be a good idea. 

At the same time, place it where a better angle for shooting is available so they don't run as quickly when we try to exit the back door.

I will have to check the Florida Laws to determine if "entrapment" is an illegal method of hunting squirrels. :P

38 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

What he said^^^^^^^

You will never win the battle. Squirrels are sly little devils. The more you try the smarter they get. Try Trailrider’s suggestion. 

Also, squirrels are a good source of meat should the need ever arise. You have survival food right there in your backyard. Think about it.

1 hour ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Both the front and back of the scope fog up upon entering the outside temperature.

The outside of the scope or inside of it..........

OLG

If the inside is fogging up then you've got a defective scope and need to toss it. For outside fogging you can either try clear scope covers or apply a defog chemical like you can buy at most auto and sporting goods stores. Good grief, I'm sure soldiers don't stop fighting just because it's a bit humid outside!

52 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

The outside of the scope or inside of it..........

OLG

The exterior of the scope. :blush:

2 hours ago, Smoken D said:

@Smoken D

As promised:

777265522_BirdFeeders1.thumb.jpg.1c129b3e7a6bc6f04596e40c394c6ad0.jpg

1022744883_BirdFeeders2.thumb.jpg.051110b182e50bcac491eb61c1c031b8.jpg

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I would leave the rifle outside-IF SAFE TO DO SO.

OLG

OLG:

With the humidity and high temperatures we are experiencing, I fear damage to the rifle and/or scope. :wacko:

Besides the squirrel issue, there is the recent appearance of a raccoon, which might lead to.................

1560093199_Ineedthatguyssniperrifle-raccoon.png.794896e0a93082965743d4aa149b5d0f.png

Nuts, if all else fails

squirrl deturent.jpg

My dad used to just shoot through the screen.  My only problem is that my dogs will tree the squirrel then run away when I show up with the pellet rifle. 

Cowards.  They don't know the treat that's awaiting them if they just stay on their posts while I do my thing. 

16 hours ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

The solution is really quite simple.  Empty the bird feeders and leave them that way.  You live in Florida, the birds have plenty of natural food. 

J Mark,

One can appreciate nature more if invited to your home.

Can you say that you've seen chickadees bantering back and forth while jockeying for their spot to feed.

Maybe not seen the playful actions of the titmouse as they swoop down from being hidden in the large oak tree to quickly snatch a sunflower seed only to return to the oak for eating. With several of them in the tree at once their swooping charades appear as kamikaze pilots!

Guessing seeing cardinals, mourning doves, or even the family of wrens, who after feeding enjoy a day at the bird bath jumping in and out of the water cooling themselves is not your cup of tea.

Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses. Enjoy nature.

Besides, the wife gets tickled pink watching these activities while working at home. I adore the way she reacts and do it for her. :wub:

On 8/9/2019 at 10:02 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Kid:

If the product is applied to the lens of the scope while in the house, and sits there for a day, will it still prevent the scope from fogging up when taken outside?

I'm not wanting to take extra time to apply something, once a squirrel is spotted. Timing is everything with these jokers. :angry:

Seems to last a day or so, unless you clean it off.

I always used to put it on the scope and my glasses, in the AM, sometime after I crawled out of my sleeping bag, and had the wood stove going in the tent.

Found a couple of older spray container of the stuff in my gear the other day. Still works. 

It had a Mastercraft label on it. That's a Canadian Tire brand up here.

On 8/10/2019 at 7:05 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Maybe not seen the playful actions of the titmouse as they swoop down from being hidden in the large oak tree to quickly snatch a sunflower seed only to return to the oak for eating. With several of them in the tree at once their swooping charades appear as kamikaze pilots!

Turf wars between Woodpeckers and Scrub Jays.

Woodpeckers and chicadees

Also watching the adults teach their young how to feed, and feeding them.

And the odd postures when eating:

On 8/9/2019 at 11:57 AM, Catlow4697 said:

Your only solution to this problem is to attract larger squirrel eating birds

That works!

My squirrel problem ended overnight when to redtail hawk family moved into the tree on the edge of the swamp.

Archived