SASS Wire Forum

Do I need to get an AR or AK?

Rye Miles #13621

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the suggestions but as in the past, I've owned a couple AR's, a Bushmaster and a S&W, I've also had a AK for a minute and a Ruger Mini-14. I liked all of them as weapons but as I said in the OP. I have really no where to shoot them. I live in the 'burbs and I go to a couple indoor ranges. Shooting an AR/AK at 75 feet is kinda boring! So if they do renew the Assault Weapon ban I guess I'll live without one. I'll spned my money on something I can shoot regularly. A 9mm version of an AR is certainly something to look at.

Much obliged, Rye 

44 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

... So if they do renew the Assault Weapon ban I guess I'll live without one.... A 9mm version of an AR is certainly something to look at.

A 9mm AR style, even a Ruger PC carbine can easily be on the banned list. I doubt politicians will make a difference between a rifle caliber and pistol caliber weapon. Magazine fed, semi-auto, scary black color is all it will take at that point.

I'd rather default to having something rather than nothing though.

26 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

A 9mm AR style, even a Ruger PC carbine can easily be on the banned list. I doubt politicians will make a difference between a rifle caliber and pistol caliber weapon. Magazine fed, semi-auto, scary black color is all it will take at that point.

Agreed. Caliber won’t mean a thing. Nor probably will platform. Notice how they use Assault Weapon these days, having moved on from Assault Rifle. Anything that shoots semi is what they’re focusing on. And 10 rounds right now, but they’ll nibble that down.

I’ll bet congress knows the difference between Jim Beam and Makers Mark, Johnny Walker and Macallan, Boone’s Farm and some snobby wine.

These pinheads know money. They like being pampered. 

Send money to your favorite pro gun groups that have lobbyists to ply the pinheads with spirits they love and money they love even more.

14 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The people who will will write these laws probably think 9mm is a more powerful round than 5.56mm.  Then when you try to explain that 9mm luger is a pistol cartridge, the last words you'll hear as they faint will be "you mean like the germans used?"

I doubt they’d even make the connection. History isn’t their strength.

1 hour ago, sassnetguy50 said:

There have been several proposals in recent years that classify a Ruger 10/22 or Marlin 60 as assault rifles.  Congress doesn’t know the functional difference between a Red Ryder and an M2.

That's already the law in Washington State, as of this July. We have an initiative, passed by the voters, that defines 'semiautomatic assault rifle' as any semiautomatic rifle. Get ready for that in your state. And until this, Washington, despite its liberal politics, had very good gun laws. There is now a ten-day waiting period for such rifles.

I basically agree with Alpo. Personally, I dislike ARs, and wouldn't own one. I don't think this is a particularly uncommon attitude among a lot of long-time serious gun owners, and strong 2nd Amendment supporters.

Nonetheless, I bought three semi-autos before our law went into effect, out of political spite, so to speak. Two Ruger 10/22s, and a Browning BAR in .300 Win Mag, a really beautiful rifle with a mag capacity of (gasp)….three. I'm enjoying getting to know that gun!

But here's something really important: There is a short interview in the latest Guns magazine of Alan Gottlieb, the longtime president of the Second Amendment Foundation and the Citizens Committee to Keep and Bear Arms. They pay close attention to election statistics. 

He says that voter turnout among gun owners is slightly less than the turnout of all voters. And we know how low that is. This is a dismaying statistic. Every gun owner must always- always- vote.

In this state of 6 million, there are 600,000 concealed pistol license holders. If all of them voted (and there are many times that number of gun owners), then no gun control legislation could ever pass. But they don't all vote, nor do gun owners in general.

Red Gauntlet-

and the liberal soccer moms spend a lot of time getting votes against us.  A lot of misinformation spread at those rallies.

I too was not an AR fan until I got one.  With hands on experience, you get to see the non military/protection uses.  Imagine your BAR in a varmint round against a field of prairie dogs.  Then price the two rifles and spend the difference on upgrading the scope.  You can always use a better scope if an eye is looking through it hours at a time.  The AR is better than running a bolt action 300 times.

2 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

The people who will will write these laws probably think 9mm is a more powerful round than 5.56mm.  Then when you try to explain that 9mm luger is a pistol cartridge, the last words you'll hear as they faint will be "you mean like the germans used?"

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I doubt they’d even make the connection. History isn’t their strength.

Try explaining that the Browning Hi-Power was so named due to the 13-round standard magazine capacity; NOT the 9mm chambering!
(this often comes up in discussions regarding limiting magazine capacity to 10 rounds...or 5 as has been proposed by the nidjits in OR)

Thinkin' I shoulda held on to the AR6430 9mm carbine that I traded off to a member of the Salem SWAT team many years ago (32 rd mags)

IF an AWB is made law by votes passing it through the House and Senate and the president signs it...

You can probably count on Donald Trump nor many republicans being re elected by their pro 2A base and then the real trouble starts in this country.

Might need that AR/AK in your cave at that point.

^_^

19 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

IF an AWB is made law by votes passing it through the House and Senate and the president signs it...

You can probably count on Donald Trump nor many republicans being re elected by their pro 2A base and then the real trouble starts in this country.

Might need that AR/AK in your cave at that point.

^_^

This x 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

California Tale...

I have swung back and forth on AR-15s, AK-47s and guns like them.

For years I wanted nothing to do with them and the “The Greatest Gun Salesman” was elected and I bought an AR and an AK when i lived in North Carolina. I liked the AR and couldn’t stand the AK. AK-47s are made for people with a smaller stature than me and they just feel awkward to me. Kind of like the Mini 14.

When I moved back to California in 2010 I have the evil Norinco AK to a friend (ex-friend) in PA because the evil Norinco was a named “Assault Weapon” in California but the Century Arms AR that I bought was not. So I brought it along.

Once I was in CA living near Sacramento, I found that all I needed was a bullet button and I could build any AR type that I liked as long as I made sure the receiver was registered as a rifle vs a pistol and I installed a “Bullet Button”. So, I assembled a couple more.

In 2013 I moved to Oregon. I decided to put together another AR and I was able to remove all the bullet buttons and buy standard capacity magazines and all was right with the world.

Then a Cabela’s opened near me. Cabela’s had a “Gun Library” and I bought my second S&W revolver. A model 19-4 with a 6” barrel. I got a bug. I decided I didn’t need AR-15s any longer so I sold them and bought S&W revolvers at Cabela’s.

I did keep one lower receiver and bought l the components to build another AR but just left it sit until I moved back to California last November. 

THEN REALITY SET IN...

A new law had passed since I left CA that as of January 2014 anyone moving into the state had to register all firearms brought into the state within 60 days of those firearms coming into the state. I did not have to register guns that I had bought in California before as they were already documented but I had to register all others.

I listed the one and only AR receiver that I had brought into the state. A month after they received my I got a letter stating that before they would accept my “application” that I must take photos of the “Anderson Arms MAR-15” and submit them to determine if it is an Assault Weapon under CA law. So, I quickly assembled my AR with all the PC features (featureless...stupid freakin’ term) took the needed photos and mailed them back. Four weeks later I received a package with letters for each firearm stating that they had been properly registered with the Bureau of Firearms within the DOJ, including my featureless AR-15.

Here are a couple of photos of that AR:

B3A39281-B714-48AF-ACE5-70E72779A85A.thumb.jpeg.6be90bd8f6a32d1a9ea473960da59754.jpeg

C14D1FDB-7DD2-4FC1-9109-B635ED0EF28F.thumb.jpeg.37b3c98c83b1cd7df9e93ca4b72584ca.jpeg

No, the gun is not bent. Bad photo angles...

In the photos I sent I had to show the entire gun on both sides. I had to show that a bullet button was not installed and that the magazine release functioned normally. I had to show there was no bayonet lug, no pistol grip, no thumb hole stock and no flash hider. If the gun had any of those then I had to show that it had no magazine release and that it had a fixed magazine. 

The reason “they” - the DOJ and the political party in charge - wanted to make sure there was no Bullet Button was because the bullet button was a serious slap in the face to them. It was a work around that was exploited by gun owners throughout the state once a loophole was found in their assault weapons ban. The law stated that an AR or an AK had to have the magazine mechanically locked in place and required a tool to remove the magazine. They didn’t specify the tool and a rock or a bullet point could be described as a “tool” if used as a tool so AR sales were off and running until the laws were tightened up...again. 

Here is the reason for this long diatribe. 

The California legislature and the DOJ were so angry over the bullet button they decided to fill the loopholes that allowed for the bullet button, but while doing so created another loophole. The loophole that if you built a “featureless” gun you could have a fully functioning magazine release. The California legislature for decades has made laws so haphazardly that finding loopholes and exploiting them in this state has almost become a sport.

Unfortunately others outside this state know this and lobbyists spreading the cancer across this country funded by Soros and many limousine liberals are sharpening their pens and gathering funding. They already own the media and half of Congress. This is no longer a game of oneupmanship. You can bet any Federal laws enacted will not be full of loopholes and if there are any State Legislators will rise to fill those holes. 

Oh, sure, there will probably be “grandfather clauses” so a bunch of people can say “I got mine” but what about the future of the second amendment?

Want to know the funny part in all this?

If someone hadn’t told me that I shouldn’t own AR-15s or any other semi-auto firearm there is a good chance I probably wouldn’t own any, well,  except for a Glock and a 10/22, but someone made the mistake of telling me, so $&@# them! I will now fight to keep them. Even if it means playing their silly games and finding their silly loopholes. It only takes an hour to put them back the way they belong.

BUT that is not my point. The point is this is the United States of America :FlagAm:

We have rights.

Over the past 30 - 40 years in California gun owners have become boiled frogs. Accepting what has come down and looking for loopholes. The days of exploiting loopholes are over. In the last 30 or so years I have gone to gun shows and to gun rallies only to watch our numbers dwindle and watch paper tigers roar but do nothing. The attitude is “Well, if they ever come for my guns I will shoot my way out!” But there is no rallying cry, there are no protests there is only apathy and quiet revolt. As a group, we California gun owners are Boiled Frogs, it seems. 

And the the rest of the country is going down the same road...

Sorry for the long diatribe. 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:38 AM, bgavin said:

Which of your neighbors and friends will bring weapons and stand by you? 

Have you seen Legion of Brothers, or 12 Strong?

Just a handful of men liberated an entire country (till the brass came in and played with their MOAB and politics).

I agree with the posts stating most of us will not stand on the town green against the British Empire again!

But it does not take an Army to win against an Army. We can never win, toe to toe with the government.

As I said, I bought my AR when Hillery was a treat, not to my ownership of the gun before she made it illegal but the high probability that a stand against her government could be eminent. Today, she is a Girl Scout compared to the "Squad". 

Most gun owners are strong minded, can't agree or get along, and I agree that they will not form in mass over an ideology that can be solved with other means (unlike the radical left in places like Portland). But when it come right down to it, when they are knocking on "your" door, and "your" family is at risk because of the political/religious beliefs in their head, you have the tools for the job if you decide that is your last option. What does "Live Free or Die" mean to you? 

You don't even have to take your AR out of the safe for it to be effective. Just knowing there are more guns than people who may or may not use it against you is sufficient. They have to ask themselves, "That is the ugliest most dangerous looking firearm out there! Do I feel lucky?", (Well do you, Punk?). How many of you former cops stopped an incident with your service weapons without a shot fired?

Do you notice all the talk this week about "White Supremacist" ?

Do you see what they are doing? Your not a Patriot standing up for your inalienable rights, your a "Skinhead"!

It's easy to take down a Skinhead. We have hate crime legislation already in place and red flag laws comming. Just like the Krauts, Japs, Commies from yesteryear. There is a fine line between a terrorist and a patriot. They are not after your AR, they are after you! It's just their way of going about it, one little piece at a time. None of the shooters this month are Klan members or Neo-Natzi's. They are radical left nut-jobs! They may not like the invasion at the boarder same as many of us, but we are not in the same boat!

That my friends is the real concern, not just about loosing your cowboy guns...

14 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

The new I-1639 law here in WA now defines ALL semi-automatic rifles as "assault weapons"... even a tube-fed Marlin 60 .22LR. As a result their sales are now registered with the state, there is a waiting period, and you have to take a training class to buy one. Next year when they try again to pass a law banning assault weapons in this state that means they will most likely ban our Marlins and Ruger 10/22s as well.

But do you know what ISN'T affected by the new law? AR lowers! Guess how I found that out? ;)

30 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The new I-1639 law here in WA now defines ALL semi-automatic rifles as "assault weapons"... even a tube-fed Marlin 60 .22LR. As a result their sales are now registered with the state, there is a waiting period, and you have to take a training class to buy one. Next year when they try again to pass a law banning assault weapons in this state that means they will most likely ban our Marlins and Ruger 10/22s as well.

But do you know what ISN'T affected by the new law? AR lowers! Guess how I found that out? ;)

They are lawmakers patterned after California lawmakers. They are ignorant. Hence the loophole.

I believe in eternal vigilance but keep in mind the example of the Canadian long-gun registry. 

In Canada gun ownership is expressly a 'privilege', not a right. And Canadians are well-known as a law abiding people. And the population of Canada is about 10% that of the United States.

Notwithstanding all of that, when the last liberal government before the Harper government not many years back passed draconian legislation mandating the registration of all long guns in Canada, the whole thing failed utterly, largely because of hugely ballooning expense, and widespread active non-compliance. The whole thing just collapsed, and the legislation was repealed.

Archived