SASS Wire Forum

Lesson Learned With The USPS Media Rate

Cholla

I found a screaming deal on 40 years worth of Gun Reports on eBay. The seller said he could ship all 400 copies for $100 so I sent the funds. Two weeks later I received a notice in my mailbox that I had parcels awaiting me at the post office with postage due of $210!!! I called the post office and asked why there was postage due. They told me that since they were magazines, even old magazines, that they didn't qualify for media rate because they had advertisements in them. (Who cares if the ads are no longer valid by up to 50 years...)

I looked it up and I finally found a spot on the USPS website that had the media rate restrictions and in it it says magazines with advertising don't qualify for media rate. I contacted the seller and he said that his post office knew what was in the boxes (three of them at 60 pounds each) and shipped them media rate. I told my post office this and they said if it could be proven that his post office said that, they would release my magazines. Someone must have admitted it because they released my parcels today. It could be they didn't want to keep moving them around because I know my back hurts from carrying them in the house!

The gem in the set is the last index from 1955 thru 1990.

So, the lesson here is MAGAZINE DON'T QUALIFY FOR MEDIA RATE!

I had a set of Recoil Magazines from issue #3 through #24, I think, and offered to give them to a friend if he’d pay shipping. But weight they wanted over $100. He didn’t want them. I ended up giving them away to a neighbor. 

I never considered “media rate” but then I wasn’t really too keen on shipping them anyway.  

When my parents wintered in Florida they would take a package to their post office.  Post office would weight it and then tell them how much they owed for postage.  Folks paid the amount they were told.  Package would arrive in Indiana with postage due.  This happen more than once.  :wacko:

When we built our new house (over 25 years ago) wife wanted to included our new malling address in the Christmas cards she was sending.  I stop in at the local Post Office and asked New Paris or Syracuse?  Postmaster looked in his records and said New Paris.  Wife was happy and sent out her Christmas cards.  At work we looked on our outside plant records for address, everyone on my mile of road had Syracuse as the city.  So I mailed myself a letter to New Paris and used my work address as the return address.  My letter return to me at work, address unknown.  I took the letter down to the local post office, talked to the same Postmaster and without blinking an eye he said the computer made an error, it's New Paris.  Wife was NOT happy.

Two weeks ago I mailed a story book to each of my twin grandsons. Mailed to the same address from the same post office arrived three days apart.

Archived