SASS Wire Forum

Plano Gun Case (Holds All My Main Match Guns)

I had been looking for a hard shell case for traveling to larger matches where I typically take more than one set of guns.  I found these Plano Cases and thought I’d share how easy they are to fit your firearms in a neat, secure, foam padded, hard sided case!  The 52” I show here fits a 24” rifle, two 7 1/2” revolvers and a double with 23” barrel.  

If you’re interested you can get ‘em on Amazon; https://amzn.to/2GWo82T

I also bought a 42” and it fits an entire set of my shorter barreled main match guns (20” rifle): 

28 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Just a thought here-

I never set up my cases where the guns weight is sitting on the sights.....;)

What is the empty weight of this case?

OLG

Never gave much thought to the sight thing... :unsure:  (sometimes even when I’m shooting). 

They weigh in at 20 pounds empty. 

A good case is about 20 lbs empty, Jed if you ever fly be sure to leave at least 2" of foam around every last part of the gun. Airport handlers are rough critters. Plano also makes a nice field locker which this case seems to be and updated version of. then also make the bone collector cases. All of which you can send with the Marines to Iraq and back and the cases and contents will survive. Minor wear and tear on the cases though. 

And Jed Keep up the youtube work. Thank you for all you do for the hobby.  My daughter will be  joining me in this hobby as soon as she grows up a touch more. You videos sparked a good amount of interest in her. 

I replaced the pluck foam with a closed cell foam that we get at work in some equipment crates. It is a lot more rigid. After I made my cutouts with a serrated knife I lined the top and cut outs with wool trade cloth. Holds the guns securely and allows for closer spacing while still protecting the firearms. The wool wicks moisture and helps prevent rusting.

It comes in 1 inch thickness’s so I can customize the thickness for each firearm.  I take a pic and post later tonight.

Yeah, I've used pluck foam, and in about two weeks the "stay" cubes start coming out, leaving bigger cavities.  One-piece foam is more work, but a better cushion.

Good luck, GJ

I cut the foam so that it fits into the case and then I lay out the firearms until I have everything like I want it. Use a sharpie to outline each firearm then cut with a serrated steak knife.

Once I have everything fitting properly I cover it with wool trade cloth. You can work it into the cut outs and then wrap it around the insert and tuck it in.

I have the older generation of Plano AW cases the one below is a 42". I have 2 others that I use as well as 1 of the 54" cases. Of note is that my cases have latches on the ends as well as the side. The new 54" case no longer has latches on the ends. I have read some reviews that claim this allows the case to buldge open on the ends.

For how I use them they are the perfect case. Better construction than your typical budget hard case. The latches durabIe and easy to open and close. I will say that despite their description they are not a truly weather tight case. More like weather resistant but significantly better than a lot of cases. Mine have a series of grooves moulded into the top and bottom of the case so that the cases remain stacked in the bed of the truck.  

I don't recommend them for airline travel. I have seen what the airlines can do to cases and If I was an airline traveler I would have Pelican cases despite their cost.

Pictures of the wife's :wub: case layout. 

CAA65A85-E453-4A40-9781-716497DC1976.thumb.jpeg.7109b4bf6790e4f526324c3d104b2ffa.jpeg

This is is the foam I use. Comes in 1 and 2 inch thick sheets. It is a lot more rigid that the typical gray foam most cases have. I use glue to hold multiple thickness together.  If the sheets are shorter than the case I alternate the layers so that the seams do not line up.

BC45957B-C6D9-47EE-9A64-7EDC27332F53.thumb.jpeg.670cd1ee0ab5b29acac9886142d95156.jpeg

16 hours ago, Son of the Midnight Star said:

A good case is about 20 lbs empty, Jed if you ever fly be sure to leave at least 2" of foam around every last part of the gun. Airport handlers are rough critters. Plano also makes a nice field locker which this case seems to be and updated version of. then also make the bone collector cases. All of which you can send with the Marines to Iraq and back and the cases and contents will survive. Minor wear and tear on the cases though. 

And Jed Keep up the youtube work. Thank you for all you do for the hobby.  My daughter will be  joining me in this hobby as soon as she grows up a touch more. You videos sparked a good amount of interest in her. 

Thanks for the info.  And thanks for the compliment on JED iTV!  I love it when the show intrigues folks (especially the younger generation) to come join the fun!!

14 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I replaced the pluck foam with a closed cell foam that we get at work in some equipment crates. It is a lot more rigid. After I made my cutouts with a serrated knife I lined the top and cut outs with wool trade cloth. Holds the guns securely and allows for closer spacing while still protecting the firearms. The wool wicks moisture and helps prevent rusting.

It comes in 1 inch thickness’s so I can customize the thickness for each firearm.  I take a pic and post later tonight.

Dave, I really (really) like the way yours came out.  

12 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Yeah, I've used pluck foam, and in about two weeks the "stay" cubes start coming out, leaving bigger cavities.  One-piece foam is more work, but a better cushion.

Good luck, GJ

Thanks for the info GJ.  I’m definitely going to move to the one-piece foam (and probably wrap it like Dave did if (when?) I have any issues with the pluck to fit.  

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I cut the foam so that it fits into the case and then I lay out the firearms until I have everything like I want it. Use a sharpie to outline each firearm then cut with a serrated steak knife.

Once I have everything fitting properly I cover it with wool trade cloth. You can work it into the cut outs and then wrap it around the insert and tuck it in.

I have the older generation of Plano AW cases the one below is a 42". I have 2 others that I use as well as 1 of the 54" cases. Of note is that my cases have latches on the ends as well as the side. The new 54" case no longer has latches on the ends. I have read some reviews that claim this allows the case to buldge open on the ends.

For how I use them they are the perfect case. Better construction than your typical budget hard case. The latches durabIe and easy to open and close. I will say that despite their description they are not a truly weather tight case. More like weather resistant but significantly better than a lot of cases. Mine have a series of grooves moulded into the top and bottom of the case so that the cases remain stacked in the bed of the truck.  

I don't recommend them for airline travel. I have seen what the airlines can do to cases and If I was an airline traveler I would have Pelican cases despite their cost.

Pictures of the wife's :wub: case layout. 

CAA65A85-E453-4A40-9781-716497DC1976.thumb.jpeg.7109b4bf6790e4f526324c3d104b2ffa.jpeg

This is is the foam I use. Comes in 1 and 2 inch thick sheets. It is a lot more rigid that the typical gray foam most cases have. I use glue to hold multiple thickness together.  If the sheets are shorter than the case I alternate the layers so that the seams do not line up.

BC45957B-C6D9-47EE-9A64-7EDC27332F53.thumb.jpeg.670cd1ee0ab5b29acac9886142d95156.jpeg

Very nice, but I must object, the guns need to be in the picture :P

Where do you buy the foam?

You know what's so special about those cases? 

Nothing, they're just plain ole cases. 

But in all seriousness, on my cases, I never cut the foam.  I don't want my guns wiggling around in the pocket.  If possible, I would cut about half the depth of the gun so there's still good friction, but it's not possible because I'm not skilled enough.  I also always have them inside socks in the cases.  Am I screwing up putting too much pressure on them? 

13 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Hide contents

But in all seriousness, on my cases, I never cut the foam.  I don't want my guns wiggling around in the pocket.  If possible, I would cut about half the depth of the gun so there's still good friction, but it's not possible because I'm not skilled enough.  I also always have them inside socks in the cases.  Am I screwing up putting too much pressure on them? 

STOP DOING THAT NOW! You are absolutely ruining all of your guns as well as the cases. That's way too much wear and tear on the foam and the gun socks will totally ruin the finish....

I'm kidding. I do pretty much the same as you with my gun cases and haven't noticed any issues with the guns or the cases; though they can be hard to close and latch if the guns aren't placed just right. I don't think it matters as long as they are in something so they can't be crushed.

18 minutes ago, Tyrel Cody said:

I agree!  We wanna see the guns in the case!  ;)

16 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Hide contents

:D :lol:

1 hour ago, Tyrel Cody said:

1 hour ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

I agree!  We wanna see the guns in the case!  ;)

I'll pull them out of the safe tonight and post a new picture.

Where to buy?

Google "foam for plano case (add the model #)"

Several of the foam web sites have the solid foam pre-cut to fit popular cases.  Although I now use Pelican cases, I do have a Plano and that's how I found solid foam to replace the pre-cubed. 

I layout the cuts and cut the foam just like SD (sharpie pen, serrated kitchen knife).

If I use the case for several different long guns depending on the trip (like a Garand or a BAMM rifle or a hunting rifle), I leave the solid foam uncut and press harder to latch the case.   No marks left on guns or stocks.

Good luck, GJ

4 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

STOP DOING THAT NOW! You are absolutely ruining all of your guns as well as the cases. That's way too much wear and tear on the foam and the gun socks will totally ruin the finish....

That got me lol.  I though "really? That doesn't make sense." and then scrolled down haha. 

Google closed cell foam sheets and you'll get some good sources.  If  you really wanted to contour it a little more you could always get a couple 1/4" thick sheets and trace a smaller version of your main cut out then laminate them with something like gorilla glue.  I can't confirm or deny that I am anal enough to have done that on the case I use for my pistols...

I got a similar case, Apache brand, sold by Harbor Freight.  The price is good, and occasionally it goes on sale. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-Weatherproof-Protective-Rifle-Case-Long-64520.html

On 8/9/2019 at 9:00 AM, Tyrel Cody said:

There are multiple sources but this is the type of foam I am using.

Foam Factory

Polyethylene foam is a strong, resilient closed-cell foam. Ideally suited as the material or part of a material required in products requiring a shock absorbing, vibration dampening, insulation, barrier or buoyancy component, and as a material for cushioning products in packaging applications.

One thing I forgot to mention about the polyethylene foam is that is non-abrasive.

If you want neat cut lines make a hot wire foam cutter.  Not really needed for the polyethylene closed cell. But the gray foam that you can buy to replace the pluck foam the hot wire is worth it.

$5 DIY Hot Wire Foam Cutter.  

They are cutting Styrofoam but it works on soft grey foam as well. Go slow and take your time. You can use a car battery in place of a plug in 12 VDC power supply.  DO NOT power the wire with 120 VAC.  Nichrome wire can come from a thrift store hair dryer.

On 8/9/2019 at 11:56 AM, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I got a similar case, Apache brand, sold by Harbor Freight.  The price is good, and occasionally it goes on sale. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-Weatherproof-Protective-Rifle-Case-Long-64520.html

I looked at those.  I had a coupon/reward money on used on the Planos or I might have gone with the Harbor Freight ones.  

On 8/10/2019 at 1:55 PM, Sedalia Dave said:

This better :P

0138119E-51E2-4F94-A19E-C75C8F9B4734.thumb.jpeg.68b8e48f0093463850ab9b37137d3177.jpeg

Very nice!  

1 hour ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

I looked at those.  I had a coupon/reward money on used on the Planos or I might have gone with the Harbor Freight ones.  

Take a hard look at the latches on the Harbor Freight case. The latches on the Plano case are far superior.

BTW I love your videos.

Plano says AW 42 is 14 lbs shipping weight.  I don't fly with my guns.  I have taken out the pluck foam and replaced with a 1 in foam .  Backup rifle and shotgun.  Layer of foam with separator between guns the match rifle and shotgun on top.   Very heavy but trying to conserve space.   Pistols go in RTIC hard case.   2 on top and 2 under.     Electric fillet knife works great also for cutting foam if you need to.   GW

Look at the RTIC cases I mentioned above.   Made by the people who/whom make cooler.   They run specials once or twice a year with some deep discounts.     GW

Hey Jed 

Looks like you've been doing well really love the video on the Plano gun case!   I'm going to have to try one of those.

Don't forget to mark your calendar up for next June:)

GPG

Surprised no one mentioned this, but with the pick-n-pluck foam (or any foam really) a popular durability upgrade is to use plasti-dip on the foam after you pluck it. Its very common in the 3-gun and PRS cases and it really does make it substantially more durable. You dont need to soak the foam, just give it like 2-3 light coats so that it doesnt collapse/seperate. Plus it helps keep the foam from absorbing oil and moisture.

Anybody going to Gunsmoke in September that wants one of these cases?  I've got one I don't use and could bring it.  First $50 takes it home.

ok, I"m cheap,,, a bought a hard shell golf bag and some 4" foam.   fits 4 long guns, 4 hand guns,,,,   when you drag it into a hotel, it does't raise eyebrows,  and if I leave it in the car,  I strap it down,    I've got to come up witha better locking system tho...

Some Lustrum ago, I had a couple of really nice Aluminum Locking cases from Cabellas.  Held two long guns and 4 hand guns.  Suckers were some kind of HEAVY!!  So I sold em off and went to individual soft cases.  Of course, I don't fly, so no biggie.

3 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

ok, I"m cheap,,, a bought a hard shell golf bag and some 4" foam.   fits 4 long guns, 4 hand guns,,,,   when you drag it into a hotel, it does't raise eyebrows,  and if I leave it in the car,  I strap it down,    I've got to come up witha better locking system tho...

Always wondered how that works when your wearing your cowboy/cowgirl duds carrying a golf bag.          GW

When when I am wearing my Shooting clothes and carrying my gun cases with Yahama, Roland, and Korg stickers on them and the desk clerk starts playing 20 questions I tell them I am in a cover band for Steam Powered Giraffe.

You can always tell when the desk clerk has taken the time to look it up. :P

Archived