SASS Wire Forum

1861 Navy 2nd gen loose arbor

Chillipalmer

Mike @goonsgunworks.com

Thanks Rooster!

A local Smith should be able to do that correctly (even if they aren't "familiar" with the open top).

-drill (remove) the staking pin (seen in the hammer slot).

- unscrew the arbor

- slightly upset the edge of the arbor (prominent diameter just ahead of the threads), 

- clean up the surfaces and reinstall the arbor (staking pin hole is alignment mark) you will need to torque it into position.

- confirm the position by installing the barrel assy and wedge and install new pin (not hardened) while the assys are together/under tension. File pin even with frame.

Mike

22 hours ago, Chillipalmer said:

Just received 1861 Navy 2nd gen (1980’s?) allegedly unfired.

Arbor is loose and barrel was “wobble” 

recommendations for quality Smith in Arizona to resolve loose Arbor   Thank you

Wrong pistol. thanks Goody

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Is this a brass frame or steel frame firearm. 

Is it a Cimarron or Taylors? If so contact them they may repair it.

2nd Gen Colts were Uberti parts, assembled in New England and sold by Colt. They are not brass frame.

Sorry wasn’t more clear it is a Colt 2nd gen steel frame manufactured in New York in 1980-90. I have spoken to seller and will return. But still looking for good gunsmith in Arizona. Thanks

...upon closer inspection of the arbor retaining pin under the hammer slot. There are two small cracks on either side of the pin - looks like someone already tried to peen the pin and damaged the frame. 

Unfortunately I’m returning this one. Thanks for the comments. 

Chillipalmer

Call the seller and get them to take it back and refund your money if you can.  These are not that rare and it would have to be very cheap indeed to make it worth the repair bill.  

Yes thank you for the quick responses. 

This was just my second open top and the first with any problems. With the loose arbor and cracked frame I had no choice but to return the “unfired condition” colt. 

I received a quick learning curve doing my research. 

Thanks to all. The search continues. 

5 hours ago, Doc Coles SASS 1188 said:

Call the seller and get them to take it back and refund your money if you can.  These are not that rare and it would have to be very cheap indeed to make it worth the repair bill.  

I agree. This was only my second open top. Quick learning curve. Thanks. Shipped yesterday search continues. 

Archived