SASS Wire Forum

Lookin' for Recommendations

Tequila Shooter

I've fallen in love with the look of a Remington 1858, but have no experience with C&B pistols.  So I wanted to ask a couple of questions

Any reason that I shouldn't get 1858?  Is a Colt clone better?  Recommendation????

Is one caliber better than another?  I've seen .36 and .44 and I know that it'll make a difference for a conversion cylinder but and other advantages of one or the other?

I see the Italian Big 3 all make 'em is one better than the others?

Last question for now - Barrel length any benefits to one over another?  With SAA I like a shorter (4 3/4) barrel just to clear the holster easier, so with C&B how important is barrel length?

Handle one before buying.  The grip size and shape is different from Colts and Colt copies and Rugers and is not comfortable in my hands, so I’ve never owned any.

PIETTA for ALL Cap Guns.

You really, really need to shoot an 1858 before you buy one as the hammer reach is a bit further than Colt style and the trigger guards beat the heck out of your fingers.

.44 as spotters will award you more miss shooting a .36.

The 4 3/4-inch barrel length is fine.  If you have knockdown targets sometimes a .36 won't do the job.  The .36 caliber barrels are also heavier.  My Uberti 1858s have too light of triggers - not good when shooting duelist.  The trigger guards don't beat up my fingers.  However, I only load to meet the smoke standard unless loading for knockdown targets.  Excess recoil is not desirable.  Like others have said, try before you buy.  Local Soot Lords will probably let you shoot their revolvers if you ask.

Definately Pietta for C&B pistols. You want to shoot all three grip designs if possible.

1858 Remington. Very similar to the 1875 outlaws

Colt clone with Army style grips (1860)

Colt clone with Navy style grips (1851 / 1861)

I have two pairs of 1858's one in .36 and one in.44. Loaded with Tripple 7 the .36 hits the targets with authority.

I also have a pair of 1860 Armys in .44

Once you get a pair you will definately want to change the nipples and perform a few simple reliability modifications that Larsen Pettifogger published.

So far I prefer the 1860 Armys. Haven't shot the 1858's enough to decide one way or the other. Personally I prefer longer barrels. Other shooter prefer shorter barrels and some prefer Avenging Angels (snubbies) 

If you decide on 1858's let me know I might sell you a pair of mine.  If you coming to Shooting in the Shade, you are welcome to try out mine.

7 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Only as a seller at the Cowboy garage sale.  My Better half will be selling a lof of nice ladies shooting outfits. I may have some CAS firearms there for sale as well.

I look forward to seeing you up there, I heard the garage sale alone was worth the trip. 

My first experience with blackpowder/cap and ball revolvers, was in 1966.  A friend of mine had an 1851 "Colt style" navy.  I was hooked.  If I was just starting out with cap and ball revolvers, I would again choose to start with the 1851 "Colt style" navy.  Why? Glad you asked.

First, I can shoot the .36 caliber '51 a lot of times, before it begins to foul up, and I have break it down to clean it up.  In fact, one day in the pasture, shooting cow patty's, I shot all morning, probably at least 25 cylinder loads, with no problems, and no wiping down or spraying any lube on the revolver.  I have several "Remington's", but I have never been able to shoot them that much before I have to clean them.  My "Remington's" foul fast.  Three or so cylinder loads and I am taking off the cylinder and cleaning up the pin.  I have .44's and .36's in the "Remington" style, and I have never been able to shoot them a lot without them getting tight and fouled.  The cylinder pin on the "Remington" is small, and has no grooves.  I have had to take a file, and put some notches in the pin to help hold some lubricant, and help with the fouling.  The arbor, or cylinder pin, on the '51 is a lot larger than the "Remington", and it has grooves cut in it to help keep it working, and help hold the lube on the arbor.  Also, the .36 uses less powder than the .44's, obviously, and the bullets, be they round or conical, are cheaper.  The grip frame of a '51 is pretty much what you would get with the 1873 Colt.  Yes, I do like my "Remington's" a lot, but I would not want to start out with one...nor with a Starr, nor with a LeMat, nor with a Rogers & Spencer, nor with anything else. 

In my humble opinion, I would start out with the 1851 "Colt" style navy, and later expand out to some other designs. 

My Two Bits.

W.K.

11 hours ago, Tequila Chase said:

Thanks fellers I'd love to try a couple out but finding someone shooting some of them fine irons seems to allude me.

i'm your huckelberry... come on out to WV!!!

ive been collecting and shooting 58's for 20+ years now and have been shooting a pair of 58's since i started SASS nearly 3 years ago. i feel the remington fits my hands better and is better balanced than the SAA. started with new out of the box piettas, shot three matches with them and sold them for a pair of ubertis in stainless 5.5" barrels (see my avatar). the piettas just felt loose after 3 matches, my ubertis still feel brand new 3 years later...

in my experience, ubertis are just all around better guns than piettas. pietta QC has been hit or miss since the dawn of time. they have gotten better but, i have never seen a "bad" uberti. AVOID ASM GUNS LIKE THE PLAGUE! i have a pair of 12" asm 58s which have all uberti internals now. curl your pinkey under the grip, it helps control recoil and avoids the "busted knuckle" everyone complains about. uberti remingtons also have a lower hammer than the piettas, it aint much lower but its enough that i dont have to flip the barrel up to recock the gun when shooting one-handed. also i swapped out the mainsprings for wolff 33280 springs... best upgrate for the $$$!!!!!!!! another easy and nearly free "upgrade" is to put a thin washer under the trigger/bolt spring. locktight all your screws too... remington caps are best, swap out to treso nipples. the other nice thing about the uberti guns is the front site is dovetailed in therefore you can replace it. remingtons have crap for sites (still better than C&B colts though) and being able to swap them out is an added bonus.

go with .44, if you shoot C&B the 141gn .454 ball has very light recoil even with full 40gn loads of black or triple 7. other good thing about 44, is its easily converted to 45colt when you get sick of cleaning black powder residue. grease the hell out of the cylinder pin! i use bore butter on it and a lot of it!!! get a cylinder loading press so you dont take a chance of breaking the lever, a common problem with all 58's

i converted my match guns to 45colt with gated kirsts, if you even have the slightest inkling of maybe one day wanting to convert to gated conversions in the future and you buy stainless guns, get kirst to cut the gates! i did my own and it was a nightmare!

On 8/8/2019 at 9:27 PM, Boomstick Bruce said:

i'm your huckelberry... come on out to WV!!!

ive been collecting and shooting 58's for 20+ years now and have been shooting a pair of 58's since i started SASS nearly 3 years ago. i feel the remington fits my hands better and is better balanced than the SAA. started with new out of the box piettas, shot three matches with them and sold them for a pair of ubertis in stainless 5.5" barrels (see my avatar). the piettas just felt loose after 3 matches, my ubertis still feel brand new 3 years later...

Boomstick  your guns are what I've been looking for!  Do you feel comfortable saying where you got 'em and what model they're considered?

The guns are here:

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder-revolvers/1858-remington-collection/1858-remington-stainless.html

And the conversions are here:

https://shop.kirstkonverter.com/?product=s600-145-1858-remington-konverter-ejector-set-uberti-45-colt-stainless-steel

Yes it's very pricy and you could get much better guns for that kind of money. I kind of wish I had bought race ready Rugers instead, but I love my Remingtons!!! 

1 hour ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

The guns are here:

https://www.taylorsfirearms.com/hand-guns/blackpowder-revolvers/1858-remington-collection/1858-remington-stainless.html

And the conversions are here:

https://shop.kirstkonverter.com/?product=s600-145-1858-remington-konverter-ejector-set-uberti-45-colt-stainless-steel

Yes it's very pricy and you could get much better guns for that kind of money. I kind of wish I had bought race ready Rugers instead, but I love my Remingtons!!! 

The 1858's aren't too bad price wise.  I try to remember it's a want not a need.  I like the Kirst Konverter but you're right that is expensive, I'd probably stick with C&B for that price.

I agree that you need to shoot as many different C&B revolvers to see which you prefer. I shoot Rogers & 

Spencers, Walkers, Remingtons, Dance Brothers, Griswolds and most of the colt clones. I even shoot brass frames where most give them a bad rap. Everyone has an opinion on Uberti or Pieta  so see which you like. My most comfortable revolver to shoot for me are my Pieta 60 Armies with Navy grips tuned by Goonworks in Georgia. Keep an open mind and you will find what works for you.I shoot all my revolvers at least once per year and each are just a little different but I enjoy shooting all of them. Enjoy the journey buying a C&B revolver.

Archived