SASS Wire Forum

HOW DO I GET RID OF IT?  WAKES ME UP BETWEEN 2 AND 4 A.M.  CAN'T TAKE IT NO MORE!

I LIVE NEAR KNOTT'S BERRY FARM. MAYBE HE SHOULD GO THERE.

THE HEAVY CRAWLING BACK FORTH, AND AROUND JUST WOULDN' STOP.  I THOUGHT IT WAS THE NEIGHBORS BIG CAT. 

WENT OUT BACK, TURNED ON THE LIGHTS AND SAW THE CAT RUN DOWN THE TREE AND OVER THE FENCE. 

HEARD MORE NOISE AND TOSSED A ROCK AGAINST THE TREE.  SUDDENLY A BLACK AND WHITE FURRY FACE

POPPED UP ON THE ROOF ABOUT 6 FT BACK, LOOKED AT ME, AND WENT BACK DOWN.  HA!  MY NEIGHBOR 

SAID HE SAW IT A FEW TIMES. 

SPRAYED THE ROOF WITH STRONG WATER GUN TO CHASE HIM OFF AND HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING AGAIN...TIL TOMORROW!

:huh: CC

.22 short in a rifle. Aim carefully so you don't shoot hole in your roof. You also might want to check your roof, eaves and any gable vents to see if it got in anywhere. It's up there for a specific reason and if it gets into your attic, it can do significant damage. Raccoons and/or rodents in your attic are real bad news.

My son just went through a bout with these critters. He called an exterminator, it's worth it to get rid of those nasty creatures. He had a mom with babies on his roof, she was trying to dig into the roof. Luckily the exterminator got them before that. He set up traps on the areas where mom had been scratching and clawing. Got rid of them in a couple days. The exterminator took 'em out to his property and shot 'em! 

One more thing, if you decide to get rid it yourself. Raccoons are notorious for carrying rabies and can be pretty vicious if cornered. If you kill it, don't touch the body with your bare hands, use gloves or a flat shovel and bury it deep. Also, if there is one, there is more. Better to stop them now than to wait until there is more of the masked devils.

Another thing to check on game laws — in some states (FL is one) it’s unlawful to trap and release raccoons somewhere else unless you have the property owner’s permission, and you cannot release a trapped raccoon on public land. 

The reason is because of the risk of spreading rabies. 

.22 sub-sonic will do the job nicely, if there's a good backstop and it's legal to do it.

Or you could try this as an alternative:

I was told of this method of getting some burrowing critters to depart:

I had them burrowing under my shed, in the sub-division I live in, here in Ottawa. 

You take a Zip Lock bag, fill it with household liquid ammonia, place it in the hole they are digging.

You partially fill the hole, covering the bag with a little dirt.

The digging will pierce the bag and the critter gets a face-full of ammonia.

My neighbours and I found one treatment was usually sufficient.

1 hour ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

Another thing to check on game laws — in some states (FL is one) it’s unlawful to trap and release raccoons somewhere else unless you have the property owner’s permission, and you cannot release a trapped raccoon on public land. 

Great example of an over regulated government by a politician! 

It's also illegal to kill  a game animal out of season.

So which law do you want to break?

Your required to let them take care of the problem. Good luck with that...

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

.22 short in a rifle. Aim carefully so you don't shoot hole in your roof. You also might want to check your roof, eaves and any gable vents to see if it got in anywhere. It's up there for a specific reason and if it gets into your attic, it can do significant damage. Raccoons and/or rodents in your attic are real bad news.

She kives in California in a heavily populated area.  Cops would be there in seconds with a SWAT team close behind.

Sow the yard with moth balls.  The smell will drive you nuts for a few days, but the 'coons can smell it for months afterward and won't come back for a long time.

Them you'll have to do it all over again.

18 minutes ago, Cold Lake Kid, SASS # 51474 said:

.22 sub-sonic will do the job nicely, if there's a good backstop and it's legal to do it.

Or you could try this as an alternative:

I was told of this method of getting some burrowing critters to depart:

I had them burrowing under my shed, in the sub-division I live in, here in Ottawa. 

You take a Zip Lock bag, fill it with household liquid ammonia, place it in the hole they are digging.

You partially fill the hole, covering the bag with a little dirt.

The digging will pierce the bag and the critter gets a face-full of ammonia.

My neighbours and I found one treatment was usually sufficient.

That's a new idea and should work, too.

Call an exterminator. 

This one is number 1 on Yelp - Most 5 star reviews:

https://advancedwildliferemovalca.com/orange-county-animal-control/

This one has an A+ rating from Better Business Bureau

https://urbanwildlifetrappingexperts.com/orange-county/

A lot of the extermination companies in Orange County get some poor reviews. I have no experience with these folks but the two I listed above get high marks.

2 hours ago, Cypress Sun said:

Cypress Sun, do you know where Buena Park, CA is? Do you know what the ramifications of getting caught firing a gun there might be? It is a heavily populated area. Shooting it is a very bad idea!

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

She kives in California in a heavily populated area.  Cops would be there in seconds with a SWAT team close behind.

Sow the yard with moth balls.  The smell will drive you nuts for a few days, but the 'coons can smell it for months afterward and won't come back for a long time.

Them you'll have to do it all over again.

That's a new idea and should work, too.

58 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Call an exterminator. 

This one is number 1 on Yelp - Most 5 star reviews:

https://advancedwildliferemovalca.com/orange-county-animal-control/

This one has an A+ rating from Better Business Bureau

https://urbanwildlifetrappingexperts.com/orange-county/

A lot of the extermination companies in Orange County get some poor reviews. I have no experience with these folks but the two I listed above get high marks.

Cypress Sun, do you know where Buena Park, CA is? Do you know what the ramifications of getting caught firing a gun there might be? It is a heavily populated area. Shooting it is a very bad idea!

Sorry guys, I don't know where Fullerton, CA is or the seemingly fascist rules there. Here, if the cops did bother to show up, they wouldn't do anything.

Caliope, call a pest removal company as the others have suggested. Do it soon though before it can do further damage to your home.

2 hours ago, Ozark Huckleberry said:

That's the reason my son's exterminator took the raccoons to his rural property where it's legal to discharge a firearm and used a .22 to kill 'em!

Opossums are worse if they get in your attic.  My in-laws has huge possums in their attic.  The "professional critter exterminator" blocked all the entrances from the garage to the attic, then put out poison to kill the possums.  What is your first thought about that?  Mine was "With all the exits blocked, they're gonna die in the attic." But no one would listen to little ole me.  They died in the attic after eating the poison and pooped all over the attic.  Had to remove and replace 35 bags of insulation after removing the 2 dead possums.

You know they say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Therefore, make your raccoon friend a house guest and have him/her do household chores! :wacko:

They work for very little pay...just treats.

Go to your local farm and barn store.  Buy a Have-A-Heart live trap or one like it.  Take a tuna fish can sized container and put dog food in it.  Set the can as far back in the trap as you can.  Set the trap on the ground where they frequent.  Sprinkle a few more pieces of dog food just inside the entrance to the trap.  After you catch them, take them for a ride to a rural location.  Feed them a lead pill and dispose of appropriately.

I live in the country and can take coon, possums, skunks year round on my property as they are considered nuisance animals.  They do a lot of damage to my wife's flower beds, our garden, try to tear into the chicken coop and kill our chickens at every opportunity.  When we grew sweet corn, they would take out about a third of the corn.  It is amazing how the ecosystem can support the high number of these animals as I take out more than 20 every year.  They are like locusts.  I use a .22 mag as a Long Rifle just makes them mad.

4 hours ago, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

Therefore, make your raccoon friend a house guest and have him/her do household chores! :wacko:

Go ahead, treat them as pets......let us know how it works out.

They are creatures of habit and tend to take to a certain route every night.  I've dealt with them a few times.  I use a live trap along their route.  Once they are cornered, a .22 finishes the job.  then they are relocated as we like to say.  They make a real mess when they get inside a structure.  I handled more than one B & E call that turned out to be a raccoon breaking in and trying to set up home.

1 hour ago, Cypress Sun said:

Go ahead, treat them as pets......let us know how it works out.

Man, that would be cruel and unusual treatment....

of an animal.

14 hours ago, Calico Mary said:

Tell it there's free raccoon food on I80 in Nebraska.....

HE LEFT A NOTE THAT HE DUN'T CHAT WITH THOSE RELATIVES NO MO :D 

THANKS LOADS Y'ALL.  IT WILL BE AN EXTERMINATOR AND MOTHBALLS :D  

EVEN THO' I'VE BEEN IN THE COWBOYS TC  SINCE THE 90s, I DUN'T OWN ANY FIREARMS,  JUST BOW AND ARROWS. MIGHT DO THAT----SILENT AND DEADLY. 

7 hours ago, Tyrel Cody said:

Man, that would be cruel and unusual treatment....

of an animal.

PREZACTLY

On 8/8/2019 at 5:47 AM, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Florida?  Release it in a gator filled swamp?

Coons love gator filled swamps actually. Generally they’re too smart and fast to get et.

On 8/8/2019 at 11:40 AM, Father Kit Cool Gun Garth said:

A friend of mine kept a baby coon and raised it. Got pretty big. Then one day it tore down his curtains, overturned the 50 gallon salt water fish tank, ruint the carpet and ate all the expensive tropicals. 

56 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Somebody in Japan decided that raccoons would be nice pets. Imported and sold several. Then the little beggars got loose in the countryside and are now a pest.

Also out of control in Germany. When I was there in 67, I found a raccoon skull down in Bavaria. This confused me. I though they were a North American species. One of the locals told me that Herman GÖring introduced them in the 30’s for their pelts.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/nazi-raccoons-on-the-rampage-as-european-population-explodes-1.395424

5 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Also out of control in Germany. When I was there in 67, I found a raccoon skull down in Bavaria. This confused me. I though they were a North American species. One of the locals told me that Herman Goring introduced the 30’s for their pelts.

https://www.thenational.ae/world/europe/nazi-raccoons-on-the-rampage-as-european-population-explodes-1.395424

Aha, now I know why I found a raccoon ushanka in Kyiv.

67DE376B-2275-4F2B-810D-FBC8A0A68081.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Aha, now I know why I found a raccoon ushanka in Kyiv.

67DE376B-2275-4F2B-810D-FBC8A0A68081.jpeg

Rabies has been eliminated in most of Western Europe but researchers like Beltrán-Beck warn that raccoons could spread the deadly disease in eastern parts of the continent. Over the last several years, 142 cases of rabies in raccoons have been reported in Europe, mostly in Ukraine, Estonia, Germany and Lithuania, according to FECYT.

Germany nazi coon.jpg

Archived