SASS Wire Forum

Do you heat canned vegetables?

Alpo

Originally I was just going to ask, "Do you eat your pork and beans cold?"

We did, when I was a kid. Mama would make sandwiches or hamburgers or hotdogs, and open a can of pork and beans and just pour 'em in a bowl and put it on the table. I thought that's how you ate pork and beans.

It came as a shock to find out that my wife expected them to be heated.

My daughter and her family came to visit me over the Fourth, and one night I made chili dogs. I got out a can of beans and asked, "Y'all eat your pork and beans cold, or warm them up?" She said they didn't eat pork and beans. :o

Then I remembered, many years back, visiting them and seeing an open can of green beans sitting on the table. I asked about them, and was told that her husband preferred them cold, straight out of the can. That he had grown up eating them that way. Hmmmm.

I have, over the last couple of years, started eating canned corn and canned beets straight out of the can. No need to cook them - they are already cooked. Normally they just need to be heated up. But I've kinda developed a fondness for them at room temperature.

Am I the only one? Where are there others they do not warm up their canned food?

I'll take green beans or canned corn, open the can, use the lid to hold 'em in, drain 'em, put some dressing on them and eat cold.  Sometimes I'll heat them as a side.  Canned pork & bean are eaten cold, unless I doctor them up with onions, cut up hot dogs, catsup, mustard, brown sugar, cider vinegar.  Then I'll eat them hot that day, and cold as leftovers. 

Canned veggies, pork & beans I like heated.

And say! While we're on the subject; Why did you Americans keep Bushs Beans a secret from us Canadians??

Once we tried the Original Recipe there was no turning back. 

Some of the others, Meh1

smiley-rolleyes005.gif

Pork and beans, and beanee weenies at room temp.  Other canned foods, heated.  

A family peccadillo...eating moderately salt and peppered cottage cheese with pinto beans.  Dad loved it, and passed it on to his boys.  Never seen anyone else eat it, and I get some seriously repulsive looks when I mention it in polite company.

I heat them, but not a whole lot.  Usually just enough to melt the butter or cheese I put on them.  My mom always heated them up to scalding temperatures.  My wife introduced me to the idea that they're fine at room temperature.  When I was young, I only ate them at room temp when I was camping or hunting.

Mrs. Lose doesn’t allow canned food in the house so when she ain’t around I pick up some of the canned food that I like. Spam (fried) Dinty Moore beef stew (cooked) Vienna sausages (right from the can) Aunt Ellie’s pickled beets (right out of the jar).

6 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Pork and beans, and beanee weenies at room temp.  Other canned foods, heated.  

A family peccadillo...eating moderately salt and peppered cottage cheese with pinto beans.  Dad loved it, and passed it on to his boys.  Never seen anyone else eat it, and I get some seriously repulsive looks when I mention it in polite company.

I love cottage cheese with Lowery's Seasoned Salt.  Can empty an entire container in no time

I prefer canned veggies warmed! I like baked beans, but don't care for pork with them.  In the Air Force, when on a dispatch to a missile site, we would take the canned whatever, puncture the can with our John Wayne opener (aka P-38), and set them on the exhaust manifold of the truck!  Tasted great heated, especially when the air temp was about -30! :o

When I was a kid in the summer it was pork and beans right out of the can.

Nowadays I rarely eat it anything out of a can except the best darned beans in the world. 

Bush’s Grill’n Beans :D

and I do heat them up. These beans are absotively delishamundo! The Best!

I do occasionally eat soup out of a can, heated, of course and about once a year I get a corn and peas craving so I dump a can of each in a pot and heat them up.

Try Bush’s Grill’n Beans. You will not be sorry. ;)

Howdy,

I like food hot.  Even canned corn.

Pork an beans in pan, add a dash of mustard, ketchup brown sugar and maybe a dash

of chopped onion.  Always room for variation.

Last time I added a bit of bbq.

Real left over bacon is great on the rare occasions I have any.

Best

CR

I like cold beets or pickled beets on a salad with home-made 1000 Island Dressing.

I could eat cold Original Bush's beans.

I'd have to be starving to eat any of the following, hot or cold: green beans, peas.

About the only canned vegetables I buy are kidney, black or Bush's beans and three-bean salad.

29 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Real left over bacon is great on the rare occasions I have any.

What is left over bacon,  never seen any      GW

11 hours ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

Mom used to pepper the cottage cheese. I like it that way ( no salt for BP issues). My better half thinks I am crazy, but she salts her’s. We heat  P&B, don’t use other canned veggies. Either fresh or frozen, they need to be cooked, or they are too crunchy.

CJ

I don't eat much in the way of canned food. As a kid camping, I would have pork and beans straight from the can sometimes, because it meant being able to get back to doing those things you go camping for that much faster. Baked beans and vienna sausage are also meant to be eaten cold.

12 hours ago, G W Wade said:

What is left over bacon,  never seen any      GW

That is an event that has to seriously be planned for. You need to decide how much bacon you will require to be “left over” or saved for later. It is physically and mentally impossible to make the needed amount to be “left over” so one must make a calculation. In order to end up with the proper “left over” quantity one should double the quantity needed and make that. It is quite common to go ahead and double that quantity again...just in case. Once you have finished cooking the bacon. No one but an absolute lunatic would eat uncooked bacon, even out of a can...Once you’re finished cooking immediately take 1/4 of what you cooked and put it under armed guard to cool. Eat the rest.

Later I will explain the process for selecting bacon guards.

33 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Later I will explain the process for selecting bacon guards

I would suggest Orthodox Jews, but according to Fran Dressler, bacon is NOT non-kosher.

I try not to eat em at all.

(except for Bush’s Bourbon and Brown Sugar grilling Beans) :wub:

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That is an event that has to seriously be planned for. You need to decide how much bacon you will require to be “left over” or saved for later. It is physically and mentally impossible to make the needed amount to be “left over” so one must make a calculation. In order to end up with the proper “left over” quantity one should double the quantity needed and make that. It is quite common to go ahead and double that quantity again...just in case. Once you have finished cooking the bacon. No one but an absolute lunatic would eat uncooked bacon, even out of a can...Once you’re finished cooking immediately take 1/4 of what you cooked and put it under armed guard to cool. Eat the rest.

Later I will explain the process for selecting bacon guards.

Don’t use dogs. Trust me.

3 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

I used to do that.  Then I was told that the stuff that seals the lids will leech into the food and it's poisonous. 

It melts the plastic liner. Not healthy.

Are vegetable cans lined with plastic?

Archived