SASS Wire Forum

Great Movie Scenes

DocWard

The Jaws thread got me to thinking. In that thread, I mentioned the USS Indianapolis scene. It is one that I personally believe is a masterclass in film making. From the acting, to the swinging lamp, every part of it is riveting. I understand that Robert Shaw thought he would try the scene drunk on the first day of filming and it was a disaster. He apologized, and tried again, and that is what we see on film. I forget whether it was Richard Dreyfuss or Roy Scheider, but one of them commented that it seemed Shaw wasn't acting, or something to that effect. So, what are some other scenes that are comparable in how well they are executed?

The final scene in “Field Of Dreams”...who wouldn’t want another game of catch with their dad?

An article about that scene:

https://www.apnews.com/75b5a690229f4a518927c5d4ef780f59

15 hours ago, Raylan said:

It is probably no coincidence that Steven Spielberg is associated with Band of Brothers. Is there a particular scene that you are thinking of, though?

Well as WW2 scenes go, IMO one of the best ones was in A Bridge Too Far when James Caan pulled a .45 on the Army surgeon who refused to take a look at his apparently dead Captain, who it turned out wasn't. Especially the ending scene when the surgeon asked Caan if he would really have blown his head off, and he only got a salute in return.

2 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Well as WW2 scenes go, IMO one of the best ones was in A Bridge Too Far when James Caan pulled a .45 on the Army surgeon who refused to take a look at his apparently dead Captain, who it turned out wasn't. Especially the ending scene when the surgeon asked Caan if he would really have blown his head off, and he only got a salute in return.

A great scene from a great movie 

My all time favorite must be the last scene between Lee Marvin and Ralph Bellamy in The Professionals ;

".....in my case,an accident of birth.

But you ,sir,are a self made man."

Makes me smile every time.

A close second is the exchange between Robert Duval and John Wayne in True Grit ;

Duval-"I call that mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!

The Duke-" FILL YOUR HAND,YOU

SONOFABITCH!!!!!!"

On 8/8/2019 at 3:05 PM, Choctaw Jack said:

My all time favorite must be the last scene between Lee Marvin and Ralph Bellamy in The Professionals ;

".....in my case,an accident of birth.

But you ,sir,are a self made man."

Makes me smile every time.

A close second is the exchange between Robert Duval and John Wayne in True Grit ;

Duval-"I call that mighty bold talk for a one eyed fat man!

The Duke-" FILL YOUR HAND,YOU

SONOFABITCH!!!!!!"

That line from The Professionals, and it's delivery by Lee Marvin, makes me smile every time, too.

Father Goose.

WW2, Australia. Walter Ekland is a drunken beachbum. He gets drafted into being a coastwatcher. He unintentionally ends up with Catherine and 7 little girls - 6 to 16. She disapproves of him. The way he dresses, he doesn't shave, he uses rough language, and he likes his scotch.

They both are on the radio with coastwatcher HQ (the radio is amazingly, not only voice transmission instead of morse, but is able to send and receive at the same time, like a telephone) complaining. She says that "Mr. Ekland is a drunken foul-mouthed filthy beast", while he refers to her as "Miss Goody-Two-Shoes".

They fight through most of the movie, then near the end the subaltern tells Commander Hoghton, "It's Mother Goose, sir. He wants a chaplain."

Houghton says, "Good Lord, he's killed her".

The subaltern says, "No sir. They want to get married".

The look on Houghton's face, and more importantly, the amazed disbelief in his tone of voice. "Goody-Two-Shoes and the Filthy Beast??!?!?!??"

It's lovely. So, naturally, that clip isn't on the web.

Archived