SASS Wire Forum

Whats FUN?

BootStrap Phil

A well known shooter here in the Southeast once proclaimed. "If this weren't so much fun, I'd quit this aggravatin' shit.

People like that is what keeps me hanging around for the fun.

I think this game is what you make it.  If all you're concerned about is speed, and awards then that's what it'll be.  I'm not fast, I'm not that accurate, and I don't care that much, I have fun, meet new folks and get to shoot, what more could you ask for?  An added bonus is no one is shooting back at you.

What's fun?

That is a question that has plagued Match Directors since time began.

It is hard to quantify because it is a subjective question - but I'll try...

FUN is...

Hearing a target ding.

No one enjoys missing.

But you have to balance if it is fun to hear target dings if there is minimal challenge to achieving the target ding.

FUN is...

Moving through a stage - feeling like you are involved in a movie gunfight.

But you have to balance movements/ distances with average age/ health of your shooters and time required to complete a stage.

FUN is...

Atmospheric activities and props that immerse you into the event.

But you have to ensure these props and activities are universal skills that do not benefit or penalize any group of shooters. 

You have to ensure these non shooting, non competition activities do not alter or take away from the results of a competition event.

FUN is...

Whatever makes YOU leave the stage smiling.

And YOU have to find the events and Match Directors that provide YOU with Fun.

There is no universal agreement of fun in CAS; never will be.

Fun, like happiness is as much a choice you make as it is anything extrinsic.  If you accept that, then the goal should be to create a scenario where people are comfortable and at ease enough to make that choice, yet challenged enough to want to keep pushing towards personal goals

Well, as Creeker stated this is very subjective.  At the end of the day every one of us is responsible for their own happiness. That being said, I enjoy a mix of target distances as in some matches are up close and some further back. I enjoy movement and the ability to shoot a flexible stage design.  At the end of the day if I wasn’t entertained I would move on.  The past 10 years have been a blast and the pards I’ve met have made this game a part of my life. 

One month till Hellava Ruckus!

Gringo

After I’ve shot the stage, while on my way to the unloading table, another shooter says “Good run J-Bar!”  I never tire of hearing that.

If you want to encourage shooters to keep attending your matches, look for some way to give them a sincere compliment.  If they shoot well, pat ‘em on the back.  If they take extra effort with their clothes, tell ‘em they’re looking good. If they perform some chores, thank ‘em for helping out.   Don’t blow smoke, but if you look closely, you can find some positive comment to make.

Shootin' Cap Guns with Snubbie Barrels GunFighter is the most fun for me!

I just love the guns.

I love shootin' with my friends

I love shootin' black powder

I love shootin' hammer shotguns

Prefer just shooting a passel of neato guns to shootin' fast.

That's what makes CAS fun for me.

--Dawg

Fun for me is shooting my Ruger Old Armies, Pedersoli Lightning rifle and whatever Old Winchester 1897 16 gauge that I grab out of the gun safe. I  used to have a real nice set of Ruger Vaquero Bisleys in 44-40 that Shotgun Boogie shortstroked and slicked but after I got a couple of sets of Old Armies back from Boomstick Jay I fell in love with ROA’s.  I came to the realization a few years ago that I’d never be in the runnin for the Cadillac so why not shoot the guns you like to shoot and just have fun. There ain’t any pressure anymore and if I have a clean match it’s my goal. The more I use Old Armies the more I like them. Smoking the pipe before the match and after and back at camp at the big matches is what I look forward to. If it weren’t for a couple of projects that have to be finished this week I’d be up at the Western Divisional camping and shooting with my favorite pards.

I like shooting oddball stuff, whether it be vintage, modern reproductions, or even things that may never have existed.

18" Buntlines

1895 Nagants

Spencer

Burgess

Evans (still looking for an affordable shooter)

Davenport "Central hung hammer double" shotgun

1887 shotgun - getting to be pretty mainstream anymore

American Arms/Fox Patent Sideswing SxS

There are a lot of oddball shotgun designs.Shotguns_1.thumb.jpg.493a0bb613ea7a1b21f2cd21182e6103.jpg

To simply put it      Come to shoot and stay for the people       GW

Fun is dressing up and shooting old style guns as fast as you can, and working out transitions in different stage scenarios, especially with new kinds of targets. 

But fun is also packing up all your carpentry tools, meeting your good friends at the range, visiting and kidding each other, eating lunch together, building and repairing stage props, cleaning things up, designing/building those new targets together, and setting things up for the next match.   The work is a lot of fun when the company is good--and it always is. 

2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:
2 hours ago, Yul Lose said:

If it weren’t for a couple of projects that have to be finished this week I’d be up at the Western Divisional camping and shooting with my favorite pards.

We will surely miss you.   I'm betting it will be a real fun match.   

2 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

There are a lot of oddball shotgun designs.Shotguns_1.thumb.jpg.493a0bb613ea7a1b21f2cd21182e6103.jpg

OK, you caught me and I'm gonna ask.   What is that side swing DBL? 

I'd love to play with it.  

American Arms/Fox 10g. This one has some *modifications* that take it out of the collector's category. The stock is incorrect, but a solid fit. The barrels have been cut down. The release button is incorrect, the left hammer is incorrect, and there is a rough looking weld on the left lockwork inside, but it's solid and hasn't broken since I've had it.

There's a trick to removing the barrels, and if you don't know how they come off, don't force things. It only takes two seconds, but ya gotta know how to do it.

2 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

American Arms/Fox 10g. This one has some *modifications* that take it out of the collector's category. The stock is incorrect, but a solid fit. The barrels have been cut down. The release button is incorrect, the left hammer is incorrect, and there has is a rough looking weld on the left lockwork inside, but it's solid and hasn't broken since I've had it.

VERY NICE! 

How about a Darne? (top)

My Davenport didn't have a stock when I acquired it, so the stock (middle) is built up from an old Baikal stock and SPRAY PAINTED. :lol:

Bottom is my 10g side swing.

Shotguns.JPG

The people.  It's right there in our catch phrase, "Come for the shooting, stay for the people."  This is the aspect that actually drove me away from the modern shooting sports and has me forever hooked on the cowboy game.  Don't get me wrong, the people over there weren't "bad", but they're nowhere as friendly/helpful as the wonderful folks in SASS. 

The competition.  Yes we're playing a game here, but it's a game we (Some of us anyway) play to win.  I could go out into the desert and shoot stages by myself if I wanted to win every time.  But I crave the competition against other shooters.  I love the excitement of the match and the nervous anticipation of waiting to hear the outcome.  If I win, great. I'll shake everyone else's hand with a big smile on my face.  If I don't win, great. I'll shake everyone else's hand with a big smile on my face. 

The variety. I love, love, LOVE traveling and shooting with other clubs.  You get a different flavor no matter where you go.  We have multiple clubs right here in Las Vegas all of whom have different styles of matches.  Then travel a couple of hours in any direction and you get even more variety.  It's outstanding.

The escape. This sort of goes along with the people.  It's the ability to leave the real world behind and be transported into a fantasy. What happened at work yesterday means nothing because I'm a hundred years and a thousand miles away from that.  Today I'm playing cowboy. :)

Fun...

When you lose track of the time, you are having fun.

When your hands are shaking at the unloading table, you are having fun.

When you are sorry to see the last stage of the match, you are having fun.

When you see a spectator grinning after you shot, you are having fun.

When a Match Director says he hopes you will sign up for his match, you are having fun.

When a new shooter asks you for advice, you are having fun.

I've always  figured if ya' gunna be above ground , breathing  & able , then do things that keeps stress away..I love all shooting but especially Cowboy...dressing up, life time friends& meeting new ones..the whole game is a blast...what I like most though is I get to have double the fun shooting with my beautiful wife !!

6 hours ago, Painted Mohawk SASS 77785 said:

I've always  figured if ya' gunna be above ground , breathing  & able , then do things that keeps stress away..I love all shooting but especially Cowboy...dressing up, life time friends& meeting new ones..the whole game is a blast...what I like most though is I get to have double the fun shooting with my beautiful wife !! 

You are blessed my friend!

11 minutes ago, Turkey Flats Jack said:

Smoke and flames is fun. Hearing "no misses but not clean" makes my day.  lol 

Randy St Eagle calls it a "Dirty Clean" match :D

Not being in a match that is rushed....never understand why we have to be rushed and breathless trying to get through  a match as quick as possible...whats one hour more except to enjoy more time ?

Making Thick Clouds of Smoke !!!

Shooting old Style Guns ...

And Friends both old and New !!!

Seeing new places , dragging the Wife along .... She's beginning to like it ...

Jabez Cowboy

Archived